The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Headliner with built in speakers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=421731)

ERASER5 11-25-2012 12:21 AM

Re: Headliner with built in speakers

Pull a wire up the A pillar, use the visor hole just to get the wire up. Drill a hole where you want the wire to come out and fish it from the visor hole.

Some other things to consider. Only run the wire in the forward edge of the cab, all the way across is still good.. There is some kind of obstruction going front to back. Any area where cab lights would be mounted is good. There is room for more than 1 wire, for other stuff like cab lights, radio, powered rear view mirror.

Look up Texasfirefighter. He posted a vid showing how to blow a string up the A pillar and out the visor hole with a blow gun in less than 5 seconds. Seriously.

Curt's_72 11-28-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 496bb (Post 5716533)
Hey I'm curious how you run the wires so they are all hidden? Considering this option myself- and also considered cab lights, but my truck has no headliner and I'm wondering how those would be retro-fitted.

I used a step drillbit in the passenger B pillar. Above where the Highliner fit so the hole would be covered. I chose that side because of the dome/cargo light harness was on the drivers side. Worked out great. I should have captured pictures of that part on my build thread, but I didn't.

I can only imagine that accessing the cab light harness would be a total PITA. Good luck with that one.

jdalexa84 04-24-2014 05:34 PM

I know that I am reviving a old thread but how did it sound? Would you recommend it. i have been considering it for the modern stereo install

ForrestHead 11-21-2016 12:34 PM

Soo now that you've had it a few years what are your thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

z10kl 03-23-2017 09:09 PM

Well it's an old thread but someone commented last fall. I have one of these in a truck I bought 10 years ago. It is fine and doesn't rattle. I am going to take mine out and put the interior back to original. Sound quality would be dependent on the radio and speakers but the highliner is a good piece.

lsversaw 03-29-2017 03:53 PM

Can anybody else comment on how this setup sounds? Some here might say that you can't get a good "stereo image" with overhead/behind speakers like that, but what really matters is how it sounds to you.

The Highliner looks good, avoids cutting holes, and keeps the equipment out of harm's way. And each person gets equidistant left and right stereo speakers, which cannot be accomplished with any other speaker mounting. There's a lot to like about it.

88Stanger 05-29-2017 08:24 PM

i installed this headliner. it is a two person job, but as another said, not heavy just awkward. The speakers that come with it, toss them, horrible, but install a good set as another on here did, then they are good.
I ran my wires up the side and through the dome light. Also, i installed a retro sound stereo in normal spot and the spot for the stereo in the headliner i used this spot to install 3 gauges instead. all in all, i like it.

tech54K 10-01-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle (Post 4206268)
I have the set up in my rhino.....

I put an old (exspensive) Sony hu in it and the dust killed the cd player within the first day.

Ditched that and now run the ipod controller directly to a 400w 4 channel amp powering 4 polk momo 6.5 components in pods and bridged the last 2 channels to a kicker 10 thats under the seat.

Loud and gets the party started while were camping...lol

sounds like a lot of fun

Dr.redneck99 01-21-2021 10:11 PM

How big is the space where you put your radio?
The width, length, and depth. I'm wanting to put a CB radio and some toggle switches over head and I figured this would be the most efficient way.