The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My GMC re-restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822107)

darkhorse970 08-29-2021 06:51 AM

Re: My GMC re-restoration

Great build and write up! I’m following along.

Moore87 09-11-2021 08:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Exhaust is done. Bumper back on. It’s a running and driving truck now. Need to shim and align the bed/cab better then move on to paint/body

Rich72C10 09-11-2021 09:14 AM

Love your shop, I'd love to have a wood bed and stainless steel exhaust! Perhaps I could just drop by and you could sort me out! LOL

Great work and that green is the only color I like better than my Bronze (but I do like my white with it).

Rich72C10 09-11-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moore87 (Post 8944078)
Painted the axle, installed 3.73 gears and a Yukon locker

Also finish welded everything in the rear and did the final assembly on the 4-link

So you were just able to upgrade the stock rear end 3.08 with the 3.73/locker stuff? I been wondering about a upgrade like that myself.

Moore87 09-12-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8969297)
So you were just able to upgrade the stock rear end 3.08 with the 3.73/locker stuff? I been wondering about a upgrade like that myself.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea the 3.73 and locker is a pretty simple upgrade if you know how to do gears. I’ve done a few sets now. Just time consuming if you don’t do them all the time. Mine took 3-4 hours or so

cjohnson6772 10-04-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moore87 (Post 8935546)
Little progress. Found some original doors locally at a great price. No rust through. One has a speaker hole to be fixed and the other has a dent but no big deal

Pulled the rear and finish welded the 4 link. Bent up some brake lines and mocked up my 2014 mustang brake calipers. Went to install the gears but ran into a snag with my parts. Awaiting replacements

I know that everybody says this lol but I have been staring hard at the Durango 350mm rotors for the front of my truck and mustang calipers for the rear because of parking brake!

What rear rotors did you use? Did you have to machine the center bore on the rotors for the front or rear?

Moore87 10-04-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 (Post 8980057)
I know that everybody says this lol but I have been staring hard at the Durango 350mm rotors for the front of my truck and mustang calipers for the rear because of parking brake!

What rear rotors did you use? Did you have to machine the center bore on the rotors for the front or rear?

I chose to machine the hub and axles so I use 100% stock off the shelf rotors

Rear rotors are 330 mm Durango as well

cjohnson6772 10-04-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moore87 (Post 8980114)
I chose to machine the hub and axles so I use 100% stock off the shelf rotors

Rear rotors are 330 mm Durango as well

Awesome. I am going to look into the same. I think that this may be the most practical brake set up I've seen. Really nice build so far. I'm excited to see how you finish it off! Thanks for the replies.

SkidmoreGarage 10-05-2021 01:27 PM

Nice job! We are in similar spots. My truck was a little rougher to begin with, but the build directions and priorities are similar. I just got mine back on the road after doing the suspension, tank, and interior (among just about everything else).

I'm going to be redoing my exhaust shortly. The stainless tubing should show up today. That's an interesting choice about under the axle. Does the four link not have much droop? To avoid this issue, I plan to exit in front of the tire.

Moore87 10-06-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage (Post 8980405)
Nice job! We are in similar spots. My truck was a little rougher to begin with, but the build directions and priorities are similar. I just got mine back on the road after doing the suspension, tank, and interior (among just about everything else).

I'm going to be redoing my exhaust shortly. The stainless tubing should show up today. That's an interesting choice about under the axle. Does the four link not have much droop? To avoid this issue, I plan to exit in front of the tire.

The coilovers have 5.25” total travel. I have it setup for 2.5” up, 2.5” down. I asked Rob at no-limit about the exhaust and he suggested under the axle or out the side in front of the tire. I was surprised you can’t see any of my exhaust unless you are actually looking for it. Fuel cell hides it

cjohnson6772 11-18-2021 03:48 PM

Any more updates on this build? Did you ever install NVU gauges or PB hood hinges. Interested in the install and feedback on both of those pieces.

Moore87 11-23-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 (Post 8997291)
Any more updates on this build? Did you ever install NVU gauges or PB hood hinges. Interested in the install and feedback on both of those pieces.

Unfortunately been working on a couple other cars to make $$ for this build. I have enough parts for the phase 2 ready to go. Will start back up in a few weeks

I have the NVU gauges installed. Work perfect. My only issue is I ran my tach wire in my main wiring bundle do it is catching some interference. I’ll fix that when I rewire it

Moore87 12-20-2022 11:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Took a long break to finish a couple other trucks but now I’m going again. Also moved and had to setup a new shop. A bit smaller but functional

Had to rework a new bedside to match the tailgate. Love repop parts

New to me OEM doors. No rust. Cost me some $$$ but worth it. Fitment is way better than the aftermarket ones I had

Moore87 02-02-2023 07:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Enough upside down photos

Got the front end back on. Good gaps, and doors open/code easily with GMC Paul’s push on weatherstrip

Also got the grille fit. What a pain. Had to move the mounts on the drivers side because it was shifted 3/8” to the passenger side. Also had to break the spot welds holding the headlights in and reweld to center them in the trim

Got the vintage air condenser in

Moore87 02-02-2023 07:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got started on the under hood filler panels after I installed the porterbuilt hood hinges

Also mounted the battery under the bed on a custom drop down mechanism I designed

cj847 02-03-2023 09:20 AM

Any time someone moves a battery to that position I like to remind them.....
Be sure to build a shield of some type to protect it from mud, tire rubber chunks, rocks, etc. Ask me how I know....lol.

nicklear36 02-03-2023 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 9174555)
Be sure to build a shield of some type to protect it from mud, tire rubber chunks, rocks, etc. Ask me how I know....lol.

Do you have a picture of your battery shield? I'm in the same boat

cj847 02-04-2023 07:58 PM

No pics. It was actually on a Willys wagon. I ended up moving the battery inside the frame rail on it as I found some room.

Moore87 02-17-2023 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 9174555)

Yep its on the agenda. Shouldn't take too much. Plan is to have a simple formed stainless shield