The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800746)

Richard 02-05-2020 05:12 AM

Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

2 Attachment(s)
My first vehicle ever was a 72 K20. There is a pic of it somewhere on this forum. Dad had a 67 2wd when I was young. He then purchased a 72 K10 lwb new when we moved to Mammoth Ca. Whenever I am driving my old truck it always warms my heart. I am finally starting the restomod on my 72 K10 short box. Dug it out of the garage. Has been sitting there since 2008. Purchased maybe 20+ years ago from a shop teacher in Bishop California. Drove it home to Simi Valley. Even after sitting for years it was easy to get running again. Disconnected fuel tank, installed temp gas tank under hood, new battery and poured a bit of gas into carb started right up! Did not run well. Rebuilt Edelbrock Quadrajet that had bad float needle, accelerator pump and now it starts easy and runs well.

Spent most of the weekend disassembling. Went off to painter yesterday. Was told 60-90 days until ready to pickup. Know the painter and I will help out with stripping and more prep. Minimal rust, minor cab corner repair and upper part of drivers rocker. Filling the saddle tank doors. New 90 Blazer tank going in the rear. I am super excited! Have an LSA and 6l90 to install. 1 ton running gear. AAM 11.5 with disks and Dana 60 converted to 14" Ram rotors. Deaver 64" leaf packs in the rear. Front will be a 4 link with King or Fox coil overs. Will try to update thread.

Richard 02-05-2020 05:17 AM

Re: Restomod "good memories"

2 Attachment(s)
Dissasembled

DWilbur 02-06-2020 03:26 AM

Awesome start I will be fallowing you thread. Love the engine choice.

underliner6 02-06-2020 05:41 PM

LSA, one tons, and coilovers. Eyes widened when getting to that part of your post. :thumbs:

Looking forward to following this one!

Richard 02-07-2020 03:23 AM

Unfortunatly my dad's 72 he purchased new was totaled in a rollover that almost ended his life. Otherwise it would still be in the family. Due to his degraded state from emphysema he passed a mere 6 months after the accident. I will be using parts scavenged from the wreckage in my rebuild to remind me of him even though I do not need them. Spent some more time at the body shop yesterday taking off the rest of molding, gutting the interior and removing gas tank. Found a bit more rust repair work needed near right kick panel. Brad (body work, paint) assured me it is no big deal. Have new body mounts arriving next week from Wes at Classic Heartbeat to replace the ones I purchased from LMC. Will get them installed along with the nos core support I purchased 15+ years ago next week. In my haste to get out of the shop I forgot pics. Next time there I will try to remember.

Richard 02-07-2020 03:45 AM

The tailgate on the truck is obviously not original. A guy rolled into our shop about 15 years ago in a beat to h e double hockey sticks rust bucket 68-69. Had an absolutely perfect tailgate on it. Mine was okay, had a slight bow I had done repairs on it. The owner of the truck that came in said he got the gate for $100 from a guy that took it off right after purchase to install a camper. I offered $300 + my tailgate. He refused my offer saying the truck would be restored. About 3-4 months later he called me back to accept my offer. Unfortunately the gate was not as nice any more. Scratched up on the inside with surface rust starting and a small few dings here and there. Not bowed and no damage to top edge. Was a little disappointed but still grabbed it. Glad I did!

Richard 02-07-2020 05:11 AM

Found the post with my first vehicle https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...3&postcount=27
Had bullet holes in it, did not run. Put a junk yard engine in and a guy that worked for my mom painted it for a case of beer and the cost of paint. My friend borrowed my truck to take his girl friend to the prom in that truck LOL. My 5' wife (girlfriend then) climbing into the truck. Out in the hills every weekend. The awesome memories.

randy500 02-07-2020 09:01 PM

Nice truck and project...Im in.

Richard 02-09-2020 02:35 AM

I was always going to paint original colors. Painter assures me it looks beautiful as new. My wife hates the color. Wants all one color. As to all one color, that is a hard no. I will definitely stay two tone. She wants blue though. IDK? Still have some time to decide.

86454k30 02-10-2020 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice plans for your truck.

Blue and white always a great option.

Richard 02-11-2020 04:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Spent a few hours at the body shop today. Removed the last of the molding that was on the tailgate. I also converted my dash to factory A/C. Thanks to Randy loaning me his templates it was pretty easy. I really did not want all the trouble to install the complete A/C dash I have.

Richard 02-11-2020 04:30 AM

underliner6 and 86454k30 nice blue and white trucks!

derotoreut 02-17-2020 08:54 AM

Along for the ride on this one. Glad I caught it at the beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. It looks like you've got a great truck to start with.

Richard 03-04-2020 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of the SPID

Orange71shorty 03-04-2020 09:52 AM

Richard is your truck original paint? Wonder if the middle white was added?
I’m getting confusing and conflicting answers on my 72 Cheyenne super k10 short. Mine is listed like yours and has the white middle
Looks like a great truck you have!

Richard 03-05-2020 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange71shorty (Post 8688942)
Richard is your truck original paint? Wonder if the middle white was added?
I’m getting confusing and conflicting answers on my 72 Cheyenne super k10 short. Mine is listed like yours and has the white middle
Looks like a great truck you have!

Bed, right fender and hood has been resprayed. Rest is original.
I can see the original two tone on the bed at the fender well. Pretty obvious that the white between the moldings was there from the start.
I had posted in another thread about my thoughts on the the two tone. Jocko confirmed that the RPO code listed on my SPID was correct for Deluxe Two Tone with white between the moldings. From what I understand it is the code that matters, not the description.

72 tigger 03-05-2020 07:20 AM

Nice project, following along

Richard 03-07-2020 02:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Short trip to my brother's place in Idaho to help him out. Body shop is getting a project out the door before going full time on my truck. Got a few more things taken care of on the truck since back. Removed the reproduction passenger door skin and installed the nos skin I have. Body lines now line up and the top edge is correct to allow for the wing window. Inside of doors is in real good condition. Hard to see but holes are located for original below eyeline mirrors.

Richard 03-07-2020 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In one of the previous pics you can see damage on the core support. Right headlight was recessed about 3/4" Purchased an nos core support many years ago anticipating this. Installed. Also removed heater box, fan and controls.

Richard 03-07-2020 02:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New cab and core support mounts arrived from Classic Heartbeat while I was away. Removed the LMC mounts that were installed shortly before garaged. They were to low, never looked right. Cab was 3/4" to low in back as can be seen in the original pics. Now it is about 1/2" to high. A bit hard to make out in the pic as there is evidence of paintwork done on the bed. Have some adjustments to make.

DeadheadNM 03-08-2020 10:45 AM

I’m on board too. Keeping interior color the same or possible switch depending upon paint color?

Richard 03-09-2020 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8690990)
I’m on board too. Keeping interior color the same or possible switch depending upon paint color?

Interior will change if exterior does. Interior is med bronze with parchment door panels, belts and visors. Seat has been re upholstered so I do not know. Column, steering wheel and dash pad appear to be saddle. Arm rests appear to saddle that was color changed to parchment. Door panels are decent as well as visors. Arm rests are okay except for slight wear. If I stay with the bronze. Will probably keep everything parchment. Have a real nice parchment dash pad that has been stored for years.

davischevy 03-11-2020 09:05 PM

I'm watching.

Richard 03-12-2020 01:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more work done. Body work is going now. Cab corners, bed sides, aux fuel doors and cab fuel delete.

Richard 03-12-2020 01:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed 9" body lift on bed.