The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Top of driver door loose (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752668)

cppursell 12-15-2017 02:23 PM

Top of driver door loose

Hey all,

The top half of my driver's side door has gotten loose. I can bend it in and out a couple inches, and when the door shuts it doesn't seal to the weatherstrip at the top. In other words, the window half of the door is somewhat loose.

Anyone encountered this, is it as simple as loose bolts or does it need to be repaired?

I've already aligned the door pretty well, if I try to suck it in more it won't be flush with the cab.

Thanks for your help!

harpo231 12-15-2017 02:59 PM

Re: Top of driver door loose

Sounds like you have a crack or a broken hinge. Comes from using doorframe to open and shut door .

cppursell 12-15-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpo231 (Post 8105831)
Sounds like you have a crack or a broken hinge. Comes from using doorframe to open and shut door .

Hmm, well I don't typically pull the door open/closed with the doorframe, but I suppose fifty years of wear will do the trick :lol:

Any specific repair ideas? I can take the door apart in the spring and have someone weld a crack...?

Thanks folks

harpo231 12-15-2017 03:54 PM

You need to inspect it. Can't tell till ya do .

B. W. 12-15-2017 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the door could be cracked around the top hinge, common issue. Or, if it's just the upper window frame that is loose the weld could be broken at the front (just above the top hinge)

cppursell 12-16-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8105880)
the door could be cracked around the top hinge, common issue. Or, if it's just the upper window frame that is loose the weld could be broken at the front (just above the top hinge)

Yeah it’s just the top window frame. I’ll check that spot you mentioned. Thank you!

jocko 12-16-2017 11:04 AM

If it were just not sealing, you can (very) gently bend the upper window frame in by placing a couple of 2x4s in the opening and pressing the door up against them to hold in place (maybe with some soft towels around them if you have nice paint) and then pressing evenly across the top of the window frame to physically bend the door.

BUT, kinda sounds like this isn't your issue - if your door was good before and then now it's bad all of a sudden, well, something has given way. (So don't do the above unless it's JUST the case that your door won't seal at the top). By given way, it almost sounds as though the door's integrity has been compromised. I would suspect a crack at the front lower corner of the window frame - the fwd most portion of the vent window. But won't know til you take a good close look.

67swb72klb 12-16-2017 11:52 AM

I have seen where the window frame welds have failed on a few doors