The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jack Instructions, Stow Away (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=841629)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-26-2023 04:55 PM

Jack Instructions, Stow Away

5 Attachment(s)
After having installed these, today marks the first I have nothing left to install in my rebuild, Pending stuff;). The seat cover has been on order 6-7 months under a covid economy.

Apparently I get my $1100 OER radiator tomorrow though. Yeah, $1100 for what I hope is solid, from USA Radiator. The last two are junk and came from different manufacturers.

Anyone able to find this decal? I found a "replacement" decal, but that's not it.

LockDoc 01-26-2023 07:20 PM

Re: Jack Instructions, Stow Away

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9171595)
After having installed these, today marks the first I have nothing left to install in my rebuild, Pending stuff;). The seat cover has been on order 6-7 months under a covid economy.

Apparently I get my $1100 OER radiator tomorrow though. Yeah, $1100 for what I hope is solid, from USA Radiator. The last two are junk and came from different manufacturers.

Anyone able to find this decal? I found a "replacement" decal, but that's not it.

I have never seen a jack like that in a '67-'72 C10, 20, or 30. I wonder if it could be a decal from a C40, 50, or 60 I don't know if they even had a jack.

The 5th picture is how the tool bag spring should be mounted.

LockDoc

jabborabbo 01-26-2023 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9171649)
I have never seen a jack like that in a '67-'72 C10, 20, or 30. I wonder if it could be a decal from a C40, 50, or 60 I don't know if they even had a jack.

LockDoc

My ‘67 GMC has a jack like that….

LockDoc 01-26-2023 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabborabbo (Post 9171652)
My ‘67 GMC has a jack like that….

Does your truck have a decal like his first picture?

LockDoc

Casper42 01-26-2023 09:12 PM

1. your decal shows a 4 headlight GMC, and the jack certainly looks odd. Mine is the common one that's available as a reproduction.
2. your lower floor spring latch is mounted backwards, compared to mine in a 72 C/10
3. your upper spring latch is identical to mine, with proper placement.

this all suggests, if you have a Chevy, the manufacture put the incorrect lable, or your cab was replaced, maybe?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-26-2023 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9171649)

LockDoc

I suppose you mean the jack instructions in the first pic. Can't say for sure, I only got the truck in 1989, though I can't say why the original owner would change the decal.

Come to think of it, the jack I pulled from the truck seems to match the decal;) I was informed it was the wrong jack. Hmm. Both replaced or factory?, hmm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9171702)
1. your decal shows a 4 headlight GMC, and the jack certainly looks odd. Mine is the common one that's available as a reproduction.
2. your lower floor spring latch is mounted backwards, compared to mine in a 72 C/10
3. your upper spring latch is identical to mine, with proper placement.

this all suggests, if you have a Chevy, the manufacture put the incorrect lable, or your cab was replaced, maybe?

Seems the jack's bracket installs either way, my 72 is like yours. I found my 71 like what's pictured and it matches the assembly manual, pic. 5.

Cab wasn't replaced but interesting that decal and jack is for a GMC. Might the difference be my 71 :chevy: SWB 2WD was ordered with leaf springs, which came stock on GMC? But then, why would the jack be different for leaf springs?

For what worth here's the jack I removed from the truck, which matches the decal instructions. Not saying it's original, but I learned long ago what must be doesn't always apply. Other than that, I can't find those instructions anywhere.

Casper42 01-26-2023 11:45 PM

Yes! that is one unusual looking jack, IMO. and it looks taller than what is typically OEM. Do you have a 4x4 perhaps? I had a 72 GMC 4x4 but that was in the 80's and cannot recall what it had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9171725)
I suppose you mean the jack instructions in the first pic. Can't say for sure, I only got the truck in 1989, though I can't say why the original owner would change the decal.

Come to think of it, the jack I pulled from the truck seems to match the decal;) I was informed it was the wrong jack. Hmm. Both replaced or factory?, hmm.

Seems the jack's bracket installs either way, my 72 is like yours. I found my 71 like what's pictured and it matches the assembly manual, pic. 5.

Cab wasn't replaced but interesting that decal and jack is for a GMC. Might the difference be my 71 :chevy: SWB 2WD was ordered with leaf springs, which came stock on GMC? But then, why would the jack be different for leaf springs?

For what worth here's the jack I removed from the truck, which matches the decal instructions. Not saying it's original, but I learned long ago what must be doesn't always apply. Other than that, I can't find those instructions anywhere.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-26-2023 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9171754)
Yes! that is one unusual looking jack, IMO. and it looks taller than what is typically OEM. Do you have a 4x4 perhaps? I had a 72 GMC 4x4 but that was in the 80's and cannot recall what it had.

Nope, 71 Chevy 2WD SWB with leaf springs. Until you guys chimed in, I hadn't noticed the jack matches the decal. At the moment I can't find either anywhere. Interested to know if jabborabbo has a decal to match his jack.

LockDoc 01-27-2023 01:14 AM

-
I don't think you are going to find that jack decal anywhere unless you stumble on to an original one left over from a dealership or something. I reproduced the '67 only, Chevy jack instructions decal but it is different that that one.

LockDoc

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-27-2023 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9171780)
-
I don't think you are going to find that jack decal anywhere unless you stumble on to an original one left over from a dealership or something. I reproduced the '67 only, Chevy jack instructions decal but it is different that that one.

LockDoc

Agree. At this point I'm just trying to verify it's original to the truck. Seems it would be considering the matching decal, but the cab floor may imply it takes the more common jack, and the decal shows the jack stored in what appears as the wrong direction:lol::metal: I may just use a standard bottle neck.

jabborabbo 01-27-2023 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9171653)
Does your truck have a decal like his first picture?

LockDoc

I haven’t seen a jack decal of any kind…

72c20customcamper 01-27-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9171725)

Never seen a screw type jack in anything under a one ton truck (not longhorns ) like tow trucks or camper bodied dually. Strange indeed

OregonNed 01-27-2023 12:20 PM

There is a company local to Oregon (https://www.fillingstation.com/) that sells a lot of decals on their site - including the jack instruction ones - that might be a source for you. Good folks there.

BROWN 70 01-27-2023 02:26 PM

hi guys, is the jack bag reproduced? thanks brown 70

LockDoc 01-27-2023 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWN 70 (Post 9171966)
hi guys, is the jack bag reproduced? thanks brown 70

There was a guy on here making them but I don't know what his status is at this time. I can't remember his board name.

LockDoc

FirstOwner69 01-27-2023 07:23 PM

Here's a link to the bags LockDoc referred to. However, that thread says it's closed. Not sure why.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=715455

BROWN 70 01-28-2023 10:34 AM

thanks for the info guys, brown 70