The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Hood question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=799652)

8man 01-15-2020 06:15 PM

Hood question

I was looking at the hood for the 48.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...eb6bb937_c.jpgIMG_0405 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

The wife says she wants a slick hood. So I looked at this one and I'm guessing weld the slots and any holes through the hood. Then do as others have done on spot welding the two halves together, slowly trying to control the heat.

My question is that "groove" down the middle. It's about .1" deep. Are all the hoods like that?

If they are, I guess that is filled with filler?

Thanks.

Driver_WT 01-15-2020 07:09 PM

Re: Hood question

We had a strip of sheet metal cut on a shear, about 9/16" wide by 48" long and welded that into the recess down the middle of the hood, then finish

60chevyjim 01-15-2020 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I welded up both of my 51 hoods mine and my wifes trucks and put a coat of short strand tiger hair in the recess before any body filler. they have been done for about 8 years and they both sit outside. this is her 84 s10 51

MiraclePieCo 01-15-2020 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One-piece reproduction hood:

https://www.classicparts.com/1947-53...ctinfo/38-815/

mick53 01-15-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8660532)

That seems much simpler and better but I'm no metal wiz. IMHO the trim looks nice. I bought new stainless trim.

mr48chev 01-15-2020 11:41 PM

I'd go with what driver WT said in post #2. Have a filler strip cut out at a sheet metal shop and after getting the top of the hood down to bare metal. Don't get carried away trying to weld long beads at one time or you will be looking for another hood as those big panels warp easily with too much welding heat.

I'd get all of that pookie off it and see how the top looked in bare metal and how much hammer and dolly work I had to do to correct that before going too far though.

8man 01-16-2020 02:01 PM

Thanks to all of you.

Good news for me, she was looking pictures, again, and with the stainless trim on the split window, she decided she wanted the chrome strip down the middle of the hood. However, she wants the slick hood on the 54 when I get back on it.

mr48chev 01-17-2020 01:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hogfarm's 54 probably has the best looking job of filling an AD hood that I have ever seen but that sure is a lot of blank space up there

The whole truck is that nice though and is the poster truck for good enough to be black.

8man 01-17-2020 09:49 AM

Thanks Mr48, that is a good looking truck.

I agree with you, when I do the 54 I will not have the strip down the hood, but I think I want the front Chevrolet badge and the two on the sides.

dsraven 01-17-2020 11:46 AM

how about just purchase the aftermarket one piece unit and sell your old hood if you like the new one. that would offset the cost and allow you to work on something else. otherwise you could spend a lot of time making the hood look like a one piece unit.
after spending countless hours on doing stuff myself, and probably spending more money than just buying the new part, I would consider that option for sure. more time to do something else that would make a difference.

8man 01-17-2020 11:57 AM

Thanks Raven. There are some words of truth in your statement!

mongocanfly 01-17-2020 03:52 PM

Thing about buying that repop seamless hood would be the problem with all repop parts..fit.....will it fit?...probably not would be my guess...

joedoh 01-18-2020 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cleaned out a guy with a shed full of 48 parts and this hood was in the deal, if you were closer I would trade for an unshaven one, but I know you would probably only trust your own work haha.

8man 01-18-2020 10:40 AM

Thanks Joe. If I only knew where Doodah KS was...

dsraven 01-18-2020 12:02 PM

YeH, I hear you mono. That's why the suggestion to buy the new one and sell the old one AFTER it is test fit and found passable. Haha.
I just would hate to use a deep groove of filler on a hood. Lots of flex and vibration to loosen up the bond. It must work though. guys have success.

mongocanfly 01-18-2020 12:06 PM

I think using the filler strip like driverwt did would be the best way to do it..then a thin layer of filler over that...

joedoh 01-18-2020 12:15 PM

doodah = wichita

there was a newspaper columnist who used to poke fun of wichitans (wichitites?) by calling it doodah, as in zippidy doo dah. now there is a diner of the same name downtown.

but does it matter? bryan texas is 7 hours from even the closest part of kansas. I wouldnt drive 7 hours X2 for a hood (I did drive to omaha last year for a bed and front clip, 4 hours x2)

I mean, I can meet you like an hour south, I go to the border all the time, but 14 hours total man you could probably shave yours in 14 hours haha

8man 01-18-2020 12:41 PM

Yeah, I still do road trips. In Texas it takes a "while" to get anywhere out of state. Wichita might be doable....

I was just talking to Laura and she is still good with the "chrome strip" on the 48, but she wants the 54 hood to be slick with the emblem on front and the two side emblems, so it won't be completely slick, just no strip.

So for now I'll just start cleaning up the 48 hood, and get the stuff to do the next one AFTER the 48 is on the road. But the 54 will be welded with a strip like described above. The 54 hood is currently slick, but it was done with filler, not welded. So that will come out first, and then the work, I mean fun will begin.

hogfarm 01-19-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8661062)
Hogfarm's 54 probably has the best looking job of filling an AD hood that I have ever seen but that sure is a lot of blank space up there

The whole truck is that nice though and is the poster truck for good enough to be black.

Yes I do miss the old 54.It is put away for the winter at my daughters house.there is just to much snow.As soon as I can I plan on taking it to my buddy's shop and take off the bed,needs new wood.

hogfarm 01-19-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8661165)
how about just purchase the aftermarket one piece unit and sell your old hood if you like the new one. that would offset the cost and allow you to work on something else. otherwise you could spend a lot of time making the hood look like a one piece unit.
after spending countless hours on doing stuff myself, and probably spending more money than just buying the new part, I would consider that option for sure. more time to do something else that would make a difference.

Well Dsraven,I read the part about more time and money on something you could have purchased. A couple months ago I was working in a custom Harley (that is what I do for extra money) needed to bend a piece of 3/8" stainless tubing,it needed to come out and around with 180deg bend.I took almost 2 days building a tube bender to make this part,used it for 15 mins,and put on shelf

dsraven 01-19-2020 07:21 PM

yup, been there building shop tools. its why they call it a hobby I guess. no time line.