The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Armour Vienna sausage recall (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=841992)

lousyflyer 02-06-2023 09:26 PM

Armour Vienna sausage recall

I went to my local dollar store and grabbed two cans of vienna sausages and headed for the checkout counter.
The girl could not ring them up because of a recall of like 247,000 cases. Her register flashed a message instructing her to take them off the shelf.

I'm going through withdrawls, man.

davischevy 02-06-2023 10:20 PM

Re: Armour Vienna sausage recall

I keep a few cans here and there in my vehicles along with some crackers. It's a habit left over from working construction in remote areas, that comes in handy for backwoods exploration now.

I guess I better check out the lot numbers. I'm sure there are things in the sausages I don't want to know about anyway.

Getter-Done 02-06-2023 11:55 PM

Thanks for the Info.:metal:

I stay Stocked up on these.

Keep us Updated.

Boog 02-07-2023 12:02 AM

And I just picked up a couple more cans last week, no problem.

LockDoc 02-07-2023 12:35 AM

-
I checked mine, Not on the list....

LockDoc

Sheepdip 02-07-2023 12:36 AM

Yep Vienna Sausage's, Spam and Kipper Filets always hit the spot when you are down in out and no where near the dinner table. I also keep a couple of MRE's in the truck under the rear seat just because.

franken 02-07-2023 12:47 AM

Funny, I've never heard of anyone eating them.

mongocanfly 02-07-2023 12:55 AM

Rumor has it they're sending all 247000 cases to Paul..!!

Stocker 02-07-2023 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9175913)

:lol: :lol:

Boog 02-07-2023 06:05 AM

Mine are ok. I like the original. When I'm not in a hurry, I pop the top and sit the can under the hot water tap and let it run for a couple of minutes to warm them a bit then grab the saltines.
They offer several different flavorings such as barbecue, hot n spicey, chicken and even halapeno just for Paul. ;)

special-K 02-07-2023 06:29 AM

Now if we could know the reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 9175910)
Funny, I've never heard of anyone eating them.

Same here. They might as well be pigs feet to me :lol:. The only canned meat I eat is tuna fish.

Boog 02-07-2023 07:17 AM

Packaging defects, could lead to leaking and spoilage.

Just one source.
https://www.komando.com/lifestyle/vi...recall/875243/

A1971Blazer 02-07-2023 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do like Vienna Sausage but this is my go-to food of choice
Attachment 2257147

1slo64 02-07-2023 09:31 AM

We had a coworker that would drink the liquid in the can. :barf:

Gotenntitans 02-07-2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1slo64 (Post 9175958)
We had a coworker that would drink the liquid in the can. :barf:

I've seen my uncles do that while we were camping at the lake. I'm telling ya, as a teenager in the early 80's, there was nothing better than a camping/fishing weekend with the Stratton Uncles. My Uncle Bick Stratton once dipped a honey bun in sardine juice and ate it.....and it wasn't even a dare. He always said after fighting the Japs in Bougainville and having to eat rats & frogs, he learned how to eat anything and keep it down! What a guy he was! Purple Heart recipient for his bravery in combat in WW2. I loved him.

FleetsidePaul 02-07-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9175913)

Don't send them here!! REPEAT.. Do not send them to me. I hate those things. I've chugged them down out of desperation but I can't stand them.

SPAM is the same. I loved it as a kid but I can't eat it now.

There are things that I wouldn't eat as a kid that I love now. My dad used to get tongue sandwiches. I thought the were gross even though I had never tried one. Then one day I was eating a taco and asked what was the meat? It was so good. You guessed it...Tongue. The old man knew his food. Lengua (tongue) tacos are now my favorite. Nothing like some good tongue. (that's what he said). :lol:

mongocanfly 02-07-2023 02:10 PM

Haha Paul..
Desperation mode is how I'd eat them also..I've never been a fan of what I call mush meat..
If you likem, dont Google how they're made..!!

FleetsidePaul 02-07-2023 02:43 PM

If I was starving I would starve before I'd eat a Vienna sausage again.

I would rather drown in a river of puke and snot.

Nope. I don't care for them.

And what about that potted meat? What kind of meat is that? What part of the animal did that come from? I don't think I want to know.

Other honorable mentions.

Canned Asparagus. Who thought that was a good idea? It's all slimy and gross.

Canned whole chickens. I don't care how stoned I am with the munchies. I aint touching that. Give me some Twinkies.

Canned beets. They taste like dirt. If I wanted to eat dirt I'd get really drunk and fall down in the yard. Even if you land where the dogs poop it's still better.

Pickled pigs feet. I know people that love them but they are like rubber that tastes like vinegar.

Oysters on the half shell. I don't really dislike them but it's like swallowing a lugi with hot sauce on it.

joedoh 02-07-2023 02:55 PM

i would have guessed paul tried one can of every 247k case and called to complain leading to the recall. either way paul has the funniest set of values for food: tinned pork and beef sausages? NO WAY YUK HERE IS MY 1000 WORDS ON THE SUBJECT. unrefrigerated chili dogs sitting in the car 3 days? YES PLEASE>

never tried vienna sausages. the older brothers and sisters love braunschweiger, i could just never eat it. maybe i should give it another go?

Boog 02-07-2023 03:02 PM

I've eaten Armour brand viennas since I was a kid. Not every day but occasionally. I tried their barbecue ones and didn't care for them. Not much for taste but filling. I used to always take viennas and saltine crackers on every fishing trip.
Things I don't eat are cow tongues, pigs feet, pork brains, snout, etc. Nooooo

mongocanfly 02-07-2023 03:20 PM

I've got a standing rule, that as long as I've got actual red or white meat, I ain't eating the rest of it..
That is unless I get extrodinaly hungry.....and Paul's yard dirt would rank above most things I've seen people eat

Stocker 02-07-2023 03:40 PM

I don't think I have ever eaten a vienna sausage... if I did, I was too young to remember it now. A buddy of mine used to take them on hunting / fishing trips. He called 'em veenie weenies. I ate pickled cow's tongue once at a Basque restaurant in Bakersfield, but in my defense I had been drinking. I think the only canned meat I'll have (besides tuna) is devilled ham. I sometimes get a craving for it in a sandwich with sliced dill pickles & mayo. As a general rule, meat is okay but guts are not -- no liver, no kidneys, no tripe, or anything else that's not muscle meat. I've never eaten brains and do not intend to.

LockDoc 02-07-2023 04:58 PM

-
For those that do like SPAM, try this recipe:

SPAM Recipe

Removing Salt From SPAM

Slice into 1/4" slices
Heat water to boiling
Put slices in boiling water for 5 min.
Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 5 more min.
Drain & rinse
Stack pieces in 2 stacks & cut in half
(or you can buy SPAM with 25% less salt)
--------------------------------------------

Sauce To Fry SPAM In

Mix Together:

1 1/2 TBS Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Teriyaki Sauce (Soy Sauce does not work)

Fry SPAM in skillet with 1 TBS Butter on low heat
Brown SPAM on both sides first
Apply sauce to SPAM with spoon
Keep frying and turning SPAM until golden brown on both sides
Add a little more Butter if necessary and keep adding the sauce
Store in airtight container in Fridge. YUMMY!

LockDoc

Killer Bee 02-07-2023 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 9175973)
I've seen my uncles do that while we were camping at the lake. I'm telling ya, as a teenager in the early 80's, there was nothing better than a camping/fishing weekend with the Stratton Uncles. My Uncle Bick Stratton once dipped a honey bun in sardine juice and ate it.....and it wasn't even a dare. He always said after fighting the Japs in Bougainville and having to eat rats & frogs, he learned how to eat anything and keep it down! What a guy he was! Purple Heart recipient for his bravery in combat in WW2. I loved him.

hand salute to your Uncle Stratton and the greatest generation :flag:

some lesser known rich Navy history on Bougainville as well - required reading for us

Hoorah Seabees!

Bougainville Diary: The Naval Construction Battalion First Marine Amphibious Corps (53rd Seabees) on Bougainville

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Raider_1.jpg
A famous image of the war in the Pacific of a sign erected along “Marine Drive” on Bougainville

https://images05.military.com/sites/...lle%201200.jpg

Steeveedee 02-07-2023 05:22 PM

SPAM...NO. I admit to feeding my sons Vienna Sausages before I knew better.