The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   progression ignition (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827221)

bigmac73 10-25-2021 11:05 AM

progression ignition

Any body running these?

https://progressionignition.com/

Wrenchbender Ret 10-25-2021 11:26 AM

Re: progression ignition

Interesting

George

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 11:54 AM

Funny you ask, I just installed mine this weekend. Went in like a charm (other than me putting my plugs on off by one). She fired up perfectly at 10 BTDC and I tighten the distributor down. Even before putting in my 1st table she idle better than ever before.

After that, I put in my basic default data in the iPhone app and submitted my 1st table. I have more power across the board and I can keep my idle around 750. When I put it into gear and have AC on, the distributor gives a bit more timing. So I been able to shave 100 RPMs or so on my idle because of that.

So in summary - I love it.

For the record, I got the Black / Female one.

bigmac73 10-25-2021 12:48 PM

good enough for me I am sold

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 12:53 PM

if you have any questions for progression ignition, they have answered pretty quickly. Somewhere I read they were in California but I guess they are in Florida now. So I get responses in the early morning here in Texas.

My last question to them, that they answered earlier today was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
Are there any plans to allow for the app to let you create iPhone Widgets for locking / unlocking the ignition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore @progression ignition
Yes we are considering using widgets for the lock feature

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 01:05 PM

Oh, my 72 C10 setup:

SBC 350 (Stock-ish)
72 Qjet Carb (rebuilt by Cliff's High Performance).
Automatic TH350
Power Brakes & Steering
A/C (converted r134a)
3.07 Open rear end
Gauge cluster was upgraded to have a Tach, which still coming off the coil. So no problems with the tach!

I am using full manifold off the intake tree behind the carb to go into the distributor - I had to split it off from the client control vacuum reservoir. This old 72 Qjet only has the one full vacuum port in the front for PCV Valve & EEC charcoal canister. I wished that vacuum port on the distributor was pointed 90 degrees and not straight down - its a right PITA to get the hose connected!

geezer#99 10-25-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8988091)
Oh, my 72 C10 setup:

SBC 350 (Stock-ish)
Automatic TH350
Power Brakes & Steering
A/C (converted r134a)
3.07 Open rear end
Gauge cluster was upgraded to have a Tach, which still coming off the coil. So no problems with the tach!

I am using full manifold off the intake tree behind the carb to go into the distributor - I had to split it off from the client control vacuum reservoir. This old 72 Qjet only has the one full vacuum port in the front for PCV Valve & EEC charcoal canister. I wished that vacuum port on the distributor was pointed 90
degrees and not straight down - its a right PITA to get the hose connected!

I find it hard to think there isn’t a vacuum port on the front for your vac pot!
You could tee into the choke pull off hose instead.
You got a pic of the front of your carb?

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 04:01 PM

there are other ports but they aren't FULL vacuum. The progression ignition requires full vacuum, full stop.

The one on the side by the choke, I have always assumed was ported too. I suppose I should hook up my vacuum gauge to check it.

My '78 Qjet had more ports, one of which was full vacuum on the front (not including the normal one for PCV).

Edit: I suppose I should check each capped port with my gauge, so I am not spouting off lies!

truckster 10-25-2021 06:17 PM

The bottom right one (choke side) on the front should be a manifold vacuum.

You're really making think I need to pull the trigger. I've been mulling it over for months.

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Color me wrong for assuming the two ports on the passenger side (front top and side) were ported. I guess the only ported one is the diver's side that you see capped in my attached photo.

Though to me it seemed the passenger top had a bit of a stronger vacuum, so I connected this to the progression ignition vacuum port.

Gee, I feel stupid as I should have connected all the ports to my vacuum gauge months ago.

Edit: This is what I have decuded with my gauge and how the lines are connected.
  1. Passenger Choke Side to EEC Charcoal canister - full manifold but seems a tiny bit less.
  2. Passenger Top (above fuel line) going to progression ignition vacuum port - full manifold.
  3. Passenger Bottom Tee between EEC Charcoal canister & PCV Valve - full manifold.
  4. Driver bottom, capped, Ported Vacuum.
  5. Back of Carb (not pictured) connected directly to Power Brakes - full manifold.
  6. End of ports on my 72 Carb

geezer#99 10-25-2021 06:56 PM

What’s the vac used for on the distributor?
For a vac signal maybe!

Rich72C10 10-25-2021 07:23 PM

I had vacuum connected before, just off the intake manifold's two port tee (one to TH350 and the other to climate control reservoir).

I am much happier with this setup for sure. Nice to learn stuff properly, which is what I get for assuming sh*t! But I swear I read any vacuum port on the top / middle of the carburetor was ported.

PS to bigmac73
Sorry, seems I kind of hijacked your thread - i didn't mean to do that.

truckster 10-25-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 8988190)
What’s the vac used for on the distributor?
For a vac signal maybe!

It's actually a MAP sensor.

ChevyGuyNC 10-26-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8988091)
Oh, my 72 C10 setup:

SBC 350 (Stock-ish)
Automatic TH350
Power Brakes & Steering
A/C (converted r134a)
3.07 Open rear end

I am using full manifold off the intake tree behind the carb to go into the distributor - I had to split it off from the client control vacuum reservoir. This old 72 Qjet only has the one full vacuum port in the front for PCV Valve & EEC charcoal canister. I wished that vacuum port on the distributor was pointed 90 degrees and not straight down - its a right PITA to get the hose connected!

Did you get a new coil too, or keep the Flamethrower from your old Pertronix?

You're really making me think about this too... Once I get off my a** and use Cliff's rebuild kit on my QJet, that dizzy might just have to be next... a little pricey but it sure sounds like a big improvement.

Rich72C10 10-26-2021 08:38 AM

I asked that very question to progression ignition, they told me I could keep using my Pertronix Flamethrower Coil & Wires! So it was just dropping in the Progression's distributor and done!

I had bought Pertronix before over Progression because I was weary about it. Though now I have the Pertronix Flamethrower for backup!

Boog 10-26-2021 09:11 AM

We've all gotten used to carrying a spare module for our GM HEI units. That's usually all that fails with them and it's widely available.
What would be the failure items, beyond cap and rotor, with this unit and are replacement parts readily available locally or will the unit have to be returned to them for repair?

Rich72C10 10-26-2021 09:18 AM

On their site, no parts listed for module replacements. I have sent in a query about this topic of replacement parts (yesterday). Though I assume it is just the module....

As soon as I hear back on that answer, I'll report back here!

mkmc69 10-26-2021 09:54 AM

That looks pretty cool! Wonder if you could use that on a Holley Sniper, in place of the Hyperspark? Or would that be overkill?

Rich72C10 10-26-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8988446)
We've all gotten used to carrying a spare module for our GM HEI units. That's usually all that fails with them and it's widely available.
What would be the failure items, beyond cap and rotor, with this unit and are replacement parts readily available locally or will the unit have to be returned to them for repair?

Well this is the response and I did ask "what if" follow up, if/when I get a response to that I'll post that too.

Quote:

We don't sell the modules separately. There is no need to carry a extra one. People have been accustomed to carrying an extra HEI module because the quality of most aftermarket modules is garbage.

Our modules use completely different hardware than a stock type module. Our modules also don't create the internal heat that causes stock type modules to burn out. The microprocessor in our module monitors the coil current and adjusts dwell time very accurately so there is no excess current which turns into heat.

We do sell replacement caps and rotors and yes, they are stock replacements that you can purchase elsewhere. Thanks

bigmac73 10-26-2021 12:32 PM

PS to bigmac73
Sorry, seems I kind of hijacked your thread - i didn't mean to do that.[/QUOTE]

no sweat keep the info coming

Rich72C10 10-26-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8988496)
Well this is the response and I did ask "what if" follow up, if/when I get a response to that I'll post that too.

Really don't like this answer to the "what if / electronics do fail" but it is what it is.

Quote:

Yes we will replace the module if it fails. You wouldnt have to buy a whole new distributor. It is better to send the whole distributor in for service rather than having users trying to diagnose. Thanks

tdangle 10-26-2021 03:36 PM

I've been running one for a year now with no problems. Highly recommend. In my case I needed more initial due to the cam in my SBC, without exceeding at total of 32 degrees advance. Almost impossible to change the amount of advance in a HEI.

geezer#99 10-26-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdangle (Post 8988593)
Almost impossible to change the amount of advance in a HEI.

Impossible you say!
If I’d known that I wouldn’t have limited my mechanical to 12 degrees using a 2 cent screw and 20 minutes of my life.

bigmac73 12-29-2021 11:48 AM

well i pulled the plug and have a new one sitting on the work bench in the garage

raggedjim 12-29-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac73 (Post 9012370)
well i pulled the plug and have a new one sitting on the work bench in the garage

If you have time please do a write up on installation and tuning. I have been looking at one of these since the thread started. Thanks, Rg