The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   GM Semis (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=562785)

marvgarr68 10-06-2013 04:41 PM

Re: GM Semis

Hauling water not a fun job. I hauled water with my Pete out here for about 2 years. That GMC probably had a 6v71 Detroit the best sound there is.

haminator 10-06-2013 07:33 PM

I remember looking when I was old enough to know and it had a gas V-6. I was hoping for a 348. I must have crawled around that thing for hrs. Sat in it and pretended to drive it, lol. I think it was sold for scrap. I went to work for the water company when i was 22 and it was long gone. I asked my grandpa what happened to it, he said some junk yard hauled it off :(.

marvgarr68 10-06-2013 09:51 PM

That's a sad story what makes it worse is to know that this happens to a lot of old trucks. Scrappers come around my place all the time I run them off with a shot gun. These old trucks are time machines especially in your circumstance growing up around it. I didn't not think about it being a big block v6

haminator 10-06-2013 10:21 PM

A couple years ago I had to cut a 59 Viking 49 dump truck in half and haul to the crusher for a guy. It was all I could do to keep it from happening. At least I was able to swap some really nice sheet metal for rusted stuff. I still have the grill. I'm actually ashamed I didn't just buy it even though I didn't have the extra cash at the time. I was also able to talk him out of the 283 that was in it. Its a 62-63 unit. Maybe I'll be able to save the next one. I'll get pictures of a cool cab over wrecker in the next town over.

marvgarr68 10-07-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haminator (Post 6302801)
A couple years ago I had to cut a 59 Viking 49 dump truck in half and haul to the crusher for a guy. It was all I could do to keep it from happening. At least I was able to swap some really nice sheet metal for rusted stuff. I still have the grill. I'm actually ashamed I didn't just buy it even though I didn't have the extra cash at the time. I was also able to talk him out of the 283 that was in it. Its a 62-63 unit. Maybe I'll be able to save the next one. I'll get pictures of a cool cab over wrecker in the next town over.

Well im not far from you dont let nothing go to scrap need to save the history. I would love to see the wrecker been looking for one.

special-K 10-07-2013 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I even hear the ATHS guys calling some trucks not worth owning. They'll say they can't run with the speed limit on the freeways. What the...? Take the dang back roads,slow lane,or put it on that fast running lowboy you think is all that. The point is the old trucks made America what it is and just because the herd looks forward and fast,it takes true vision to look back and cherish a better time. Yes...better :cool:
You won't hear the livestock complaining about this ride (well,maybe the smart one who knows where they're headed)

marvgarr68 10-07-2013 01:32 PM

This is true with all due respect to the ATHS guys some do not get what it is about. Most of the guys that don't like the slow trucks are the ones that take a vintage Pete or KW and put it on a newer frame for air ride and to be faster. Now this is ok if the old frame is in bad shape engine blown trans bad then I don't mind it. When you take a perfectly good truck cut it all up to make something you think is cool well you just ruined a piece of history. Like I said before they are time machines what I wouldn't give to go back in time and be a truck driver back then. No power steering no ac unless you had an add on unit no computers no ABS that is what trucking is about.

special-K 10-07-2013 09:33 PM

Yep.

C10 - C90 Bill 10-07-2013 09:34 PM

Nice looking 9500.

That trailer is tall! Has to be about as tall as they get.

Bill

esbstuff 10-08-2013 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1971 C60, 427, 5&4. Custom cab, air brakes, twin screw, factory built to be a dump truck. (so wheel base was orginal) Custom paint. Factory red truck, white 2-tone added. The white went up the center burge in the hood. It was broken up with gold pin stripe.

I think these pictures are from the 1985 time frame. The truck was replaced by a diesel Mack around 1992 as the business grew. Last time I knew, someone in nothern Missouri owned the truck...

I learned to drive large trucks on this one... An old time truck driver taught me the correct way to shift both transmissions at the same time.

If anyone sees or knows the current location of this truck, I would be interested in seeing it again. No interest in purchasing it, just to see it a relive a few memories. The truck should be pretty close to rust free as it was never used in the winter till we bought it (around 1984-5) and we only used it breifly as a plow truck. We kept the plow when we sold it. The cutouts in the bumper were added by the first owner. We only sold it because the diesel truck got so much better fuel mileage... I think the truck only had 200K on it in 92 and had a new motor and clutch. I think it was going to be a grain hauler, so it would not suprise me that it is sitting in some barn awaiting the next harvest.

C10 - C90 Bill 10-08-2013 02:29 PM

There is a real good example of a Heavy Medium.

Nice looking truck.

Bill

haminator 10-09-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvgarr68 (Post 6303691)
This is true with all due respect to the ATHS guys some do not get what it is about. Most of the guys that don't like the slow trucks are the ones that take a vintage Pete or KW and put it on a newer frame for air ride and to be faster. Now this is ok if the old frame is in bad shape engine blown trans bad then I don't mind it. When you take a perfectly good truck cut it all up to make something you think is cool well you just ruined a piece of history. Like I said before they are time machines what I wouldn't give to go back in time and be a truck driver back then. No power steering no ac unless you had an add on unit no computers no ABS that is what trucking is about.

Computers suck but I think I prefer power steering. However I would miss the cruise control without computers. Must be gettin to be a lazy trucker. Also if I cant run 75-80 I'm not a happy camper. 65 is just plain dangerous. Old trucks can be fast too.

haminator 10-09-2013 12:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Oh here's the wrecker in Mayer AZ. This thing has been sitting there for many many years. It gets moved around every few years. Still real complete. Inline six. Holmes bed. I know its a medium but not sure where to post it.

haminator 10-09-2013 12:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Few more wrecker pics

marvgarr68 10-09-2013 12:50 AM

That is a nice wrecker I would love to have that. Newer trucks are fine if I was driving coast to coast I wouldn't want to drive and old vintage truck. When I get behind the wheel of a vintage truck it takes me back that is what I like best. Its just me though

watahyahknow 10-09-2013 07:26 AM

i like my comforts and the older trucks arent up to todays comforts
theres a reason why you see a lot of old photos of truckers with big arms sticking out of tanktops those trucks where hard to steer and hot in the summer

the older trucks look burly and tough thats prolly wat makes them atractive to the people trying to keep them on the road
there should be some left on the road but not to work more to keep the old days from being forgotten

special-K 10-09-2013 09:17 AM

I want that tow truck,too!! That thing is great! I sold my C/30 tow rig because I wanted a medium duty to use with light trucks.

It's not either/or,it's both. Newer trucks are what they are because they changed with what the times required. Everything about a truck is there for a reason. They move to meet our needs. Old trucks are old trucks and they are for liking,for all your own reasons. If you drive over the road for a living and love old trucks,you'll have both. I take old over new with about anything. If I drove one for a living I'd have an older modern truck. As old as is practical,or even older with updated running gear/drivetrain/power. I like simple and would even accept a little less comfort. My buddy just put a pair of take-out Boltroms in his '58 Reo. He had to cut the floor out to sink the seats through the floor. I know before,when you drove a few hours you knew it! No wonder there were so many truck stops...heh heh

Money people will realize more and more that vintage semis are the ultimate way to haul your toys,they'll become highly desired,prices will go up,and turn the whole thing around on us. If you want one,or more,better get one. I know I better!

marvgarr68 10-09-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6306621)
I want that tow truck,too!! That thing is great! I sold my C/30 tow rig because I wanted a medium duty to use with light trucks.

It's not either/or,it's both. Newer trucks are what they are because they changed with what the times required. Everything about a truck is there for a reason. They move to meet our needs. Old trucks are old trucks and they are for liking,for all your own reasons. If you drive over the road for a living and love old trucks,you'll have both. I take old over new with about anything. If I drove one for a living I'd have an older modern truck. As old as is practical,or even older with updated running gear/drivetrain/power. I like simple and would even accept a little less comfort. My buddy just put a pair of take-out Boltroms in his '58 Reo. He had to cut the floor out to sink the seats through the floor. I know before,when you drove a few hours you knew it! No wonder there were so many truck stops...heh heh

Money people will realize more and more that vintage semis are the ultimate way to haul your toys,they'll become highly desired,prices will go up,and turn the whole thing around on us. If you want one,or more,better get one. I know I better!

This is true.

C10 - C90 Bill 10-09-2013 02:50 PM

Comforts of today? I used to drive all day on a seat so wore out that I had to sit on an old folded up winter coat to see over the steering wheel. AC? Radio? ...forget it.

We were lucky we had a Heater in the winter time, lol.

No built-in fancy straps for our flat bed loads either. Chains and Binders. With 3 High Units of Lumber you had to really swing those Chains to get them on top. If the Chains were too heavy or the loads too high, you had to climb the units and pull them up instead.

This was back in the early to mid 70's. Good 'ol days.

Bill

marvgarr68 10-09-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill (Post 6307020)
Comforts of today? I used to drive all day on a seat so wore out that I had to sit on an old folded up winter coat to see over the steering wheel. AC? Radio? ...forget it.

We were lucky we had a Heater in the winter time, lol.

No built-in fancy straps for our flat bed loads either. Chains and Binders. With 3 High Units of Lumber you had to really swing those Chains to get them on top. If the Chains were too heavy or the loads too high, you had to climb the units and pull them up instead.

This was back in the early to mid 70's. Good 'ol days.

Bill

Good old days. Most truckers these days would last an hour in those conditions.

watahyahknow 10-10-2013 01:46 AM

when i was learning for my commercial licence one of the teachers showed me a trick that pulled half inch thick rope so tight across a load it snapped the rope in half
seemed they didnt need rathetstraps to get the load to sit tight ...... they needed stronger rope though

C10 - C90 Bill 10-10-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 6307924)
when i was learning for my commercial licence one of the teachers showed me a trick that pulled half inch thick rope so tight across a load it snapped the rope in half
seemed they didnt need rathetstraps to get the load to sit tight ...... they needed stronger rope though

I forgot to mention Rope. We also had fancy Knots we learned to hold certain loads tight. I was kind of like a 4-Loop Knot. Two Loops at the top and two on the bottom. Then another guy taught me to have a second Knot off of the first one and that could had probably broke the Rope if we applied enough pressure to it, or a third set anyway.

Bill

special-K 10-10-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvgarr68 (Post 6307208)
Good old days. Most truckers these days would last an hour in those conditions.

They'd snag their sweat pants on something and end up shootin' the moon! :lol:

special-K 10-10-2013 10:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Yellow trucks are orange

marvgarr68 10-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6308118)
They'd snag their sweat pants on something and end up shootin' the moon! :lol:

That is so true or loose one of there flip flops climbing into the truck.

CREWCABGMC 10-10-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6308149)
Yellow trucks are orange

Swamp Holly Orange

mosesburb 10-11-2013 02:16 AM

Here is a unique one for the thread:

We took a little trip this past summer (detailed in the link to my build thread in my sig line) and we found ourselves at Ellsworth AFB outside of Rapid City SD. We took the bus tour of the base and while we didn't get to see much of anything cool, they do have a Minuteman II missile silo on base.

Now if you're thinking all the Minuteman II missile silos were destroyed with the START treaty you are right, they did. This particular silo on base was a training facility and thus was not required to be destroyed. It also had stairs to access the silo instead of having to go through the "B" plug like the silo operators had to back in the day. So we go down in the silo and check out the mock missile and support equipment. Not too much to see really, but we are starting to get some redemption for the money spent to take the tour.

Missile in its hole:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/test_27.jpg

There is actually a ton of neat history about these missiles and equipment used to support them. It is also very impressive when you think about the engineers who created them. No computers, just huge brains and slide-rules. Good luck pulling that off today.

So it's cool. I enjoyed it, but in my opinion, the coolest part of the missile silo area were the support vehicles on display up top (what can I say, I have a thing for trucks??)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/test28.jpg

This was a purpose-built missile transport vehicle. It was built by GMC to haul the missile (minus the warhead) from the manufacturing facility to the silo site. Very unique. I made sure I was the first person out of the silo so I could check it out a little before we had to re-board the clapped-out shuttle bus to continue the "tour".

Front shot:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/test_29.jpg

Interior shot (check out the steering wheel--not a crack in it!!):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/test_30.jpg

Seeing all of that high-style carpeting over the engine cover got me to thinking it must have an old Detroit Diesel in it. Maybe an 8V71 or even a 12V71?? This is a large truck and those missiles ain't exactly light. I wandered around the other side and found a cover over the rear of the engine that I could monkey with and get open to allow it's power secret to be told. I was very surprised to see two distributors looking back at me!! Yep, the GMC 702" V12 gas engine. Sure didn't expect THAT!! I know they were extensively used back then, but so were the 71's. Interesting. So I kept wandering around (time on site is finite, but I'm not sure how finite, so I have to get as many pics as possible as quickly as possible).

It is a twin screw with a tag axle on the rear with two steer axles up front. One interesting thing I noticed were tubes in front of the lead trailer axle:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/test_31.jpg

I opened one of the cans above the tube and found trace amounts of sand in the reservoirs. Sanding the tires for traction on slippery surfaces. I found it interesting that this was the only position that got the sanders. No sanders on the power axles or steer axles--only on the trailer.

Another curious cat had followed me over to the transporter and he swung open one of the rear trailer doors. We were immediately hit with the smell of fiberglass resin. Amazing the thing still stunk of fiberglass after all these years.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00/test_32.jpg

So at this point we are getting yelled at by the tour guide and other passengers (namely our wives), so we reluctantly head back to the 6.9L diesel powered chariot.

The museum itself is great. If you ever find yourself in the area it is well worth the time to check out (use your own judgment on the base tour). It is free to get into the regular museum and there is a TON of stuff to see there. I've been to pay-museums that were not as nice as this one. Very cool place.

marvgarr68 10-12-2013 12:02 AM

Someone needs to get this if I was still living in Farmington NM I would get it. Doesn't look to be in to bad condition. She might sell it real cheap with Detroit power you can't go wrong.

KQQL IT 10-12-2013 01:19 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/test26.JPG

special-K 10-12-2013 04:23 PM

That Minuteman hauler is purdy dang kewl. That kind of stuff gives me an eery vibe. That was some serious chit we were messin' with,once upon a tome.

watahyahknow 10-13-2013 06:50 AM

immagine the taxdollars that whent intoo that stuff
amerika still pays interest for those rockets and silo's

spanners 10-16-2013 01:01 PM

hi, guys, i,ve been missing (lost)for a good while but i,m back and with GMC SEMI-UNIT i,v just imported to the uk.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_8.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_7.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_9.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_10.jpg

hopefully i,ll get it restored over the coming winter ,,

marvgarr68 10-16-2013 01:08 PM

That is awesome I know were a chevy one is I will try and get it I have always wanted one

spanners 10-16-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvgarr68 (Post 6318128)
That is awesome I know were a chevy one is I will try and get it I have always wanted one

its taken me a long time to get this one and it isn,t home yet ,, its in a mates yard at present 300 miles from home ..

marvgarr68 10-16-2013 03:34 PM

Well at least your getting it. I would love to see more pics when you can

spanners 10-16-2013 03:47 PM

funny i was just trying to sort out some other pictures ,

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a110.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_2.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_3.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_4.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_5.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/a_6.jpg

,any information anybody may have on this truck , in fact anything at all useful i'd be grateful to know ,,

Greg63 10-16-2013 06:27 PM

Wow - Winterton North Lincolshire is vast and spacious. What part of the U.K. is that in? ;o)

Greg.

spanners 10-16-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg63 (Post 6318479)
Wow - Winterton North Lincolshire is vast and spacious. What part of the U.K. is that in? ;o)

Greg.

i take it that youve heard of ,winterton,, then :lol:

marvgarr68 10-16-2013 08:35 PM

Nice is that a 235?

spanners 10-16-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvgarr68 (Post 6318666)
Nice is that a 235?

hi, marvgarr68,
been told it could be 450 or 470 , yet someone else say its definetly a 453
but somewhere along its travels it vin /id plate has gone missing of the door post/jamb, so it looks like we may never know 100%