The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Bird Poop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=695319)

calvin78612 01-20-2016 06:32 PM

Bird Poop

After cleaning it off it has left a stain of sorts. I have tried an over the counter bug and tar remover with no luck. Any suggestions ?

franken 01-20-2016 09:59 PM

Re: Bird Poop

Sorry, rumor has it that stuff is toxic to the finish. Kill the critters and buff off the damage.

piecesparts 01-21-2016 02:16 PM

Bird poop etches the paint and will leave an outline in the paint. It will take a polishing compound and a buffer to clean most of it off the paint.

cdowns 01-21-2016 06:18 PM

if you use windex on freshly pooped on paint you'll get good cleanup results the main thing is to keep it handy cause letting it sit for days till you try cleaning is futile

piecesparts 01-21-2016 08:02 PM

I keep a spray bottle of detail spray in my vehicles. It is better for the paint, than windex and it removes bugs and poop. However,if you have poop that has set out in the sun and you did not get it removed early, you will have an etching problem. I would also discuss the use of a good paint sealant/wax at this time. That will help you more than anything.

calvin78612 01-21-2016 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies ! I will try a polishing/ compound ( any recommendations ). Tried the detail spray first, then the over the counter spray w/ no help. Looks like it is time for a truck cover for the interim until I can build a carport.

piecesparts 01-25-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin78612 (Post 7456355)
Thanks for the replies ! I will try a polishing/ compound ( any recommendations ). Tried the detail spray first, then the over the counter spray w/ no help. Looks like it is time for a truck cover for the interim until I can build a carport.

I use 3M Finnesse-It to polish paint, however that is coming to an end of production life and others are out there that do the same. Check with your local paint suppliers or a body shop to see what they are now using and what it is priced at.

I have a supplier that goes to all of the swap meets in our area and he sells stock at a lower cost than over the counter sales usually do.

calvin78612 01-27-2016 12:00 AM

I used maguires polishing compound with pretty good results. It is a black paint job so as you polish it seems to somewhat disappear as you look at different angles. All in all I can live with the results, and thanks to everyone's responses', any more feel free to chime in.

OhioChevy 02-12-2016 03:22 AM

I have used clay bar and spray with good results on bird poop after cleaning the poop off with a cleaner. Just be sure to NOT drop the clay because it will pick up any dirt if it hits the floor. If you drop the clay bar throw it into the waste basket. After claying you will need to polish the car/truck again with good polish because the claying will remove all polish that was there before.

calvin78612 02-12-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioChevy (Post 7483168)
I have used clay bar and spray with good results on bird poop after cleaning the poop off with a cleaner. Just be sure to NOT drop the clay because it will pick up any dirt if it hits the floor. If you drop the clay bar throw it into the waste basket. After claying you will need to polish the car/truck again with good polish because the claying will remove all polish that was there before.

You know, I looked at the clay bars but wasn't sure. I have a couple more spots so I may just try the clay. Thanks Ray.

piecesparts 02-12-2016 09:34 AM

The most important of this whole thing, is that you have a good protective wax or sealant on the paint. That will protect you to an extent, until you take the poop off. Note: that the poop needs to be removed in a short order time. The stomach acids will etch the paint, especially in hot weather and sunshine.

calvin78612 02-12-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 7483286)
The most important of this whole thing, is that you have a good protective wax or sealant on the paint. That will protect you to an extent, until you take the poop off. Note: that the poop needs to be removed in a short order time. The stomach acids will etch the paint, especially in hot weather and sunshine.

Yep, I keep a cover over it for now until I can build some type of carport.