The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Detailed my Silverado (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446576)

65-72 chevytoys 02-13-2011 04:19 PM

Detailed my Silverado

4 Attachment(s)
Well it is not quite a professional paint correction detail but it is good for a truck and came out better than I expected and the surface is smooth as glass. I will post some pics later. But basically took me all day yesterday. I used mostly Meguires retail products that you can get at Autozone or Walmart. I started with Meguires gold class wash and microfiber sponge as a first wash. Because I use my truck on the job I had a lot of asphalt splatter in the wheel wells and lower rockers and quarter panels. I used a bunch of bug and tar remover as well as mineral spirits to remove all the black spots off the paint. Because of the chemicals I used I decided to do a wash again because I did not want that stuff under the polish and wax. I have never used a clay bar before so I went ahead and clayed all of the painted surfaces and could not believe the difference. I am very pickey about keeping my truck clean so it was not that bad to begin with, but I was amazed at the difference after claying. Following the clay bar I used Megures step 2 polish (keep in mind I do not have a polisher so EVERYTHING is done by hand) followed by two coats of Meguires carnuba wax. I finished up with applying tire foam to the tires, using mineral spirits to clean the chrome bumbers, and finally Armor All on all of the plastic parts, door handles, mirrors, bumpers, etc... I still have the interior to do vacuum, armor all and glass cleaner, but short of doing a correction to remove the swirl marks I could not be happier how well it turned out. P

treveiger 02-13-2011 06:27 PM

Re: Detailed my Silverado

Looks great, i detailed a couple of my fathers trucks this summer, ill have to post picks, also did my first buffing job on the one that he was selling:lol: that was a experiance ill never forget.

oldblue1968chevy 02-14-2011 08:37 PM

Looks good!

Hate to nag but maybe a LIL more scrubbing on the whitewalls?

Other wise looks great

65-72 chevytoys 02-15-2011 08:47 PM

You are probably right. I focused mostly on the painted surfaces, chrome and plastic. The tires was one of the last things I did after 10 hrs of rubbing by hand and just sprayed some tire foam on the rubber. Those tires are reaching 70k miles so will be replaced soon anyway.

My next task will be the engine compartment. Any recommendations or suggestions?

treveiger 02-16-2011 01:26 AM

How bad is the engine compartment?

treveiger 02-17-2011 01:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Heres some of my fathers trucks after detailing. Maroon one is the one he has now and the coal collar one is the one he sold, thats the one that was throughly detailed, where i took the picture of me staning in the reflection was one of the areas that was horribly scuffed up from various things. Not to bad for my first buffing job:lol:. To give you a idea of how bad this truck was my father put over 100,000 miles on it and lives on gravel and would drive down them with the windows rolled down and the carpets were horribly stained and he never cleaned it for the 3 years he owned it, i did every great once in a while but never detailed like this.

72BlckButy 02-17-2011 09:32 PM

Nice work guys! It will be a few more weeks before the added elbow grease will benefit anyone in the midwest, but that is on the list for the crewcab and the trailblazer.

As for the lettering on the tires, try Bleach White as it has worked wonders for us. You do need to be careful with the product, especially with any polished/custom wheels. It will brighten up those letters with little to zero scrubbing.

67chevy1series 02-17-2011 10:08 PM

great work buds!