The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Walter DeWayne...Walt for short (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=636095)

nlped 09-06-2018 09:11 PM

Re: Walter DeWayne...Walt for short

1 Attachment(s)
I got the extra SWB frame into the shop and started getting ready for the PB Dropmembers and such. I’ll be putting the Bbc in this frame & then slap Walters sexy body onto it.

nlped 09-09-2018 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a chance this afternoon to work on getting some of the PBFab stuff bolted up. Front was pretty easy, but the rear is quite a bit more labor intensive. I only got one notch fitted and was officially whipped. I’ll work on it some more this week after work.

nlped 09-09-2018 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bahhhh... I went ahead and fit the other notch (I was already filthy as hell & I didn’t want to make another huge mess grinding the frame to fit the notch) and started drilling 7/16” holes.

nlped 09-09-2018 08:07 PM

I’ll blow it all back apart once I’ve done a complete assembly with fitment and such. Then I’ll paint and/or powdercoat everything.

knomadd 09-10-2018 09:20 AM

Nice progress. You probably made the right choice getting out there and doing the other side while you were already filthy. I've had to make myself work a full day in the garage so I don't have to make a mess multiple times too. It can be exhausting, but it's worth it in the end.

nlped 09-10-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8341354)
Nice progress. You probably made the right choice getting out there and doing the other side while you were already filthy. I've had to make myself work a full day in the garage so I don't have to make a mess multiple times too. It can be exhausting, but it's worth it in the end.

Yep Duane, you are absolutely correct, I wasn’t about to create another mess like that. I will admit that I didn’t clean it up last night, but it’ll get cleaned up tonight after I drill the remaining 11 holes for the notches.

slowcpe 09-11-2018 08:06 PM

Nice progress. There are times I wish I would done the mild notch instead of the c-notch.

nlped 09-12-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcpe (Post 8342567)
Nice progress. There are times I wish I would done the mild notch instead of the c-notch.

Yeah, I didn’t wanna lay frame. I just wanted it to sit down low when I’m riding. I’m doing a mild front dropmember too.

nlped 09-12-2018 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I could have a break from drilling and whammin’, I decided to check out the main & rod bearings in the 468 and found bad news. Whoever installed the tranny the last time apparently didn’t do it properly and had the crankshaft “pushed” forward in the motor. It destroyed the thrust plate and chewed up the bearings a little. I got lucky and found a good, freshly machined .010/.010 454 crankshaft for a decent price today. So, I’ll get some new bearings, clean clean clean & reassemble everything.

Advanced Design 09-12-2018 10:00 PM

While a bummer, it is good you checked!

nlped 09-12-2018 10:22 PM

Yes Doug, it certainly is. That woulda been a seriously catastrophic failure.

nlped 09-15-2018 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent this evening drilling holes and fitting some more. Good LORD!, that was a lot of drilling! And I’d already taken this frame completely apart, so all the body rivets are already gone. Nothings tight except the rear notch. I am going to use a wide (‘70-1/2-‘72) rearend, so I blasted the case, but I have to build it out, so I can put it at ride height and then set the pinion angle and weld on the rear lower bag mount.

So tomorrow I’ll work on “reconstructing” the 468 so I can place it and the 700r4 in to get all my angles set.

nlped 09-15-2018 10:05 PM

So I got the new bearings and such for the 468 last night. I spent a few hours this evening getting the crank into the motor and checking the clearances of the bearings. Got that buttoned up and “sealed” the motor, so I can scrub the block and paint it tomorrow. Then I’ll finally get it all back together. Then back on the porterbuilt chassis.

nlped 09-16-2018 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the bottom end all assembled and buttoned up and started cleaning up the accessories, Intake manifold, and valve covers so I can paint and such. Not a lot to “see”, but a pic to prove it.

nlped 09-17-2018 07:44 PM

Nothing really picture worthy, but I got the alternator taken apart, sand blasted the case & painted it (& reassembled with the serpentine fan & pulley). Also got the balancer and p/s pump cleaned up and ready to paint. I got the wrong pulley for the p/s serpentine pulley and called to get the correct one on the way.

Also ordered the posi, 3.42’s and bearings for the rearend. Gotta get it put together so I can weld on the bag mounts.

nlped 09-20-2018 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still nothing picture worthy, but I’m moving forward. I got the water pump paints & installed. Still waiting on the p/s pulley and the correct timing marker (the aluminum timing cover isn’t very user friendly related to timing marker).

68bowtie 09-22-2018 09:16 PM

Nice progress. That serpentine setup will look great.

nlped 09-23-2018 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8349671)
Nice progress. That serpentine setup will look great.

Thanks! I love your camper build! Wish mine didn’t have the huge hole for the walkthrough.

I fiddled with the serpentine setup some more, but I’m still waiting on the tool to install the harmonic balancer.

Advanced Design 09-24-2018 10:24 PM

Good progress...and those brackets look pretty sweet!

nlped 09-27-2018 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the harmonic balancer installed, so I could finalize the serpentine belt setup. I think it’ll look way better than v-belts and I can’t imagine an 8-rib belt slipping on this application. :lol:

nlped 09-29-2018 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Because I haven’t had much free time, I got a little bit more done on the motor. I’m waiting on some parts for the 700r4, so I’m going back to the chassis tomorrow.

nlped 10-01-2018 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I spent the better part of the day working on fitting the rear bumper I bought from forum member GR8-68 a while back and fitting/ modifying the home built hidden hitch. I also had to move the PB rear crossmember back about 2-1/2” so I could fit the Boyd EFI tank between the rear one & the one at the notch. That bought me about 24 7/16” holes to drill, between the hitch, the crossmember relocation and such. I’m getting tired of drillin’ holes!

boonedogs72 10-04-2018 10:37 PM

Looks great! Glad to see those parts I sold you getting put to use!!

nlped 10-05-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedogs72 (Post 8357439)
Looks great! Glad to see those parts I sold you getting put to use!!

Thanks man! I sold a bunch of them, but I kept the best ones :lol:

nlped 10-07-2018 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished assembling the motor, got the trans cleaned up & painted, new filter, pan, seals etc. dropped the motor in the frame to check some clearances and such. Without help, I don’t want to ruin my back, so I’ll have to wait for help to install the tranny.

Anybody with a mild dropmember and BBC able to point me in the right direction as far as headers that’ll work?