The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   EV Manx (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837106)

yuccales 08-11-2022 08:11 PM

EV Manx

1 Attachment(s)
Just saw this. Kinda cool looking.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...fornia-dreamin

FleetsidePaul 08-11-2022 10:26 PM

Re: EV Manx

Very cool looking. Bruce Meyers had a iconic design. (And got ripped off) But I'll take an original over this one.

Dune buggy's are supposed to be fun. There's nothing fun about having to look for a charger. Ask me how I know.

truckster 08-11-2022 10:40 PM

One of the reasons the Manx was popular was because it was light and could take to the dunes. I wonder how heavy this one is.

Boog 08-11-2022 11:06 PM

Since my first car was a Manx styled street buggy, I am a life long fan of them. However, this ev version doesn't stir me up. There are all kinds of vehicles being converted these days. Even E aircraft are being developed. Rich men's toys I'd say. Some day when many EVs are on the roads they may be improved enough, by then, to interest me.
There are some youtube vids out there on shops currently doing conversions in Europe and the US. VW beetles, buses, Porsches are but a few of those that have been done so far.
If I'm not mistaken Neil Young (singer/songwriter) has a large car that has been converted, Chrysler Imperial, or Lincoln Continental or something large like that. Search you tube.

leddzepp 08-12-2022 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah baby

special-K 08-12-2022 07:32 AM

This ain't no build for cheap in your backyard Dune Buggy. And it's just a toy, not your next drive to work vehicle. So, how is it being green using up on electric for a pleasure vehicle? Does green now just mean doesn't use gasoline? Am I being green by using the same amount of electric to run unnecessary appliances at my house? I'll just keep hanging my laundry out to dry in the sun and drive my '72

yuccales 08-12-2022 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9111614)
There's nothing fun about having to look for a charger.

I know as a fact there was not one here. ;)

special-K 08-12-2022 08:18 AM

No gas pumps either! :cool: I didn't mention it, but I do like that EV Manx. That one in particular is very nicely done. Can you imagine 200 quick HP in that thing? Might not be the safest thing to drive/ride in, ya think? I'd like it if these new guys would also make a gas powered one. How about WRX-powered?

67C10Step 08-12-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9111667)
No gas pumps either! :cool: I didn't mention it, but I do like that EV Manx. That one in particular is very nicely done. Can you imagine 200 quick HP in that thing? Might not be the safest thing to drive/ride in, ya think? I'd like it if these new guys would also make a gas powered one. How about WRX-powered?

Yeah, but nobody can bring you a five gallon jug of electrons. ;) I like the color and stance but would want a gas burner in the back.

jeffahart 08-12-2022 10:47 AM

Put in a 1200cc bug engine, it will get great milage... if that's the goal. What exactly is the goal of an EV buggy. I would have that thing on max power and suck all it's juice dry in ten minutes. I can see an EV grocery getter or commuter, because you can plug it in at home where there is an open and functioning charging outlet. I cannot use an EV for a road trip either, I don't like to stop, and if I do it's pit stop style. Plus, with my luck, once I get to the charging station, it would probably be occupied(just like the bathroom stall) or out of service(just like the bathroom stall). Other than that I'm a big fan of EV! :mm:

j

67C10Step 08-12-2022 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've owned an EV for years. This photo is probably at least 8 years old now. Gets used every week at some point but never goes more than about a mile from the house/charger. This is about as far as I can go with EV for now. I drive 300-800 miles per week for work. Not enough distance between charges, charging stations, or fast enough charging for it to fit my needs at this point.

Someone with a short commute, just running around town, etc. I can see the attraction.

I do have a battery pole saw, trimmer, and hedge clipper. Does that get me some points?

FleetsidePaul 08-12-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9111742)
I've owned an EV for years. This photo is probably at least 8 years old now. Gets used every week at some point but never goes more than about a mile from the house/charger. This is about as far as I can go with EV for now. I drive 300-800 miles per week for work. Not enough distance between charges, charging stations, or fast enough charging for it to fit my needs at this point.

Someone with a short commute, just running around town, etc. I can see the attraction.

I do have a battery pole saw, trimmer, and hedge clipper. Does that get me some points?

Not unless you drive them to work. :lol:

Hey that is a NICE golf cart!

I've been looking to buy a golf cart for my place in downtown Kernville. They are all over the place there. Some are street legal but I'd say most are not. But no one (including the police) seems to worry about that.

But they are $$$$$ expensive. They cost as much as a car. I never realized how much they cost but I got schooled real fast.

Steeveedee 08-12-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9111676)
Yeah, but nobody can bring you a five gallon jug of electrons. ;) I like the color and stance but would want a gas burner in the back.

:lol: I wouldn't want to be within 100,000 miles of a 5 gallon jug of electrons!

truckster 08-12-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9111773)
:lol: I wouldn't want to be within 100,000 miles of a 5 gallon jug of electrons!

Just for reference, 1 amp is 6.24 x 10(18) electrons. That's

6,240,000,000,000,000,000 electrons. :ack:

FleetsidePaul 08-12-2022 04:17 PM

I flunked school.

Isn't a electron when you're supposed to vote? Or an old Buick? :confused:

My buddy had an Electron 225. "Deuce and a quarter' . :lol:

truckster 08-12-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9111797)
I flunked school.

Isn't a electron when you're supposed to vote? Or an old Buick? :confused:

My buddy had an Electron 225. "Deuce and a quarter' . :lol:

I sometimes reminisce about my 66 Electra 225. Now that was a boat that was sweet to drive.

Dead Parrot 08-12-2022 06:21 PM

Oddly, the buggy type of EV is interesting. Enough clearance to deal with the dirt roads after a rain. Enough range to do the 25 mile round trip to town, or 60 mile round trip to different town. And it seems like it might skip all the "Connected car" crap that turns most modern vehicles into PTDs(Personalized Tracking Devices).

yuccales 08-12-2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

I'd like it if these new guys would also make a gas powered one. How about WRX-powered?

I love how us old gearheads think. :lol: That Subaru power would be outrageous!

Steeveedee 08-12-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9111792)
Just for reference, 1 amp is 6.24 x 10(18) electrons. That's

6,240,000,000,000,000,000 electrons. :ack:

I'm wondering how many could be stuffed in a 5-gallon jug. Not all by themselves, of course. I'm too lazy to dig out my old physics texts, but I'll put my money on not getting that many in the first place, "unaccompanied". Actually, I'll think about it a bit, it sounds like it would be an interesting problem. Then again, I'm pretty sure nobody cares...

I might have to model it as a sphere instead of a 5 gallon can. The symmetry is better. ;)

FleetsidePaul 08-12-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

I'd like it if these new guys would also make a gas powered one. How about WRX-powered?

I'd slap a WRX motor in my Baja Bug. But they are pricy. And I still like the sound of a stinger exhaust.

I would love to get a Manx. My buddy has one but he will not sell it. I might just have to show up and get him drunk and try again.

WTH it's worked on women before.

1970 CST Short Wide 08-13-2022 12:27 AM

That’s one Bad Ass looking Buggy but if I’m off road I need to be burning some fuel
Thank You

FleetsidePaul 08-13-2022 01:13 AM

I'll take this one for about 50K less. Sorry but I don't hug trees often.

We need to respect gas and oil... Dinosaurs died for it.

And this looks like it would be a blast to drive. :D

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...edium/Manx.jpg