The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   ? on building a 4L80E (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=361592)

68 C-10 KID 09-07-2009 07:52 PM

? on building a 4L80E

My plan is to build a 4L80E so i can run a low gear ratio for track, but have ability to drive to the coast, and show's.
  1. Is there a year that i need to look for? It's going behind 406 sbc
  2. Who's controller to use or do I need one with full manual valve body?
  3. Who's performance rebuild kit Should I go with? (most complete)
  4. Who would make a low slip converter?
  5. How much do I need to shorten drive line?
  6. What drive line yolk do I need? I currently run a 3/4 ton BBC, TH400 drive line
  7. What needs to be done for trans cross member?
  8. How much is reasonable price to pick one up?
  9. @ this time should I convert to one piece drive line?
Thanks for everyone's in put and advise in advance.

Mike

Super73 09-07-2009 10:31 PM

Re: ? on building a 4L80E

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C-10 KID (Post 3506751)
My plan is to build a 4L80E so i can run a low gear ratio for track, but have ability to drive to the coast, and show's.
  1. Is there a year that i need to look for?
    1998 and earlier have a sbc/bbc patern on the bell housing. 1999+ are gen 3/4 bolt pattern. I'm running a 1993 behind my LS1. All but 1 bolt hole lines up. If you are using an early one with gen3/4 pcm's you may need to change the internal wiring harness and connector like I did.
  2. Is there a trans brake valve body or is it all mods in the stock one?
    There are a couple companies making a trans brake. your best bet is to search performancetrucks.net for info on them
  3. Is a performance rebuild kit enough?
    Again Performancetrucks.net would b a good site for this.
    You could have a silly loose unefficiant converter like I do in it and still have near 100% efficiancy. It's all done with the lock up and PWM percentage. A good aftermarket controller should allow you to do the same I do through a factory PCM.

5. Who's controller to use?
    Performancetrucks.net
  6. Is the length the same as th400?
    No it's longer. I could measure mine if you need it.
    Drilling 4 new holes in the fram then welding a piece of plate where the tailshaft mounts and redrilling 1 hole.
    Mine was $600+ shipping. I know where there is a 4wd built one for sale. But, mine is stock minus the verter.

Thanks for everyone's in put and advise in advance.

Mike

See red

68 C-10 KID 09-11-2009 01:10 AM

Re: ? on building a 4L80E

1. Is there a year that i need to look for? It's going behind 406 sbc90-96 supply and return close together
2. Who's controller to use or do I need one with full manual valve body?No controllers needed for manual valve body
3. Who's performance rebuild kit Should I go with? I'm going W/ transtar Hp kit w/ 34 element sprag and FWD billet hub. (most complete)
5. How much do I need to shorten drive line?
6. What drive line yolk do I need? I currently run a 3/4 ton BBC, TH400 drive lineTH 400 will work
9. @ this time should I convert to one piece drive line?
I'm looking for 60-67 3/4 ton with 3 speed should be around 3 1/2" dia

This is some of the info I picked up so far. Dry weight, the 4l80E is only 40lbs more than TH400. Some company's offer a tail shaft now that has mech. speed o. The Th400 speed o slides right over shaft.