The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hood Spring Removal and Install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=378660)

TR65 12-30-2009 11:27 PM

Hood Spring Removal and Install

4 Attachment(s)
I needed to take my hood hinges off for cleaning and painting. There are a number of interesting methods on the board about how to do it. Here is what I came up with.

I took a piece of 1-1/2" X 3/16" angle 9" long and welded two 1/8" thick clips on the ends. The ends of the angle are cut at 5 degree angles parallel each end so the clips will slip into the spring coils when the spring is extended.

I clamped a bar to the flange where the hood attaches so I could operate the hinge. Expand the spring by "closing" the hood, slip the angle into the spring. Then when you release the spring by "opening" the hood the spring doesn't compress and you can take it loose. Reverse the procedure to install the spring.

I used my enging hoist to extend the spring and remove the tool and to extend the spring to put the tool back in.

TR

64GMCHorsepower 12-31-2009 09:27 AM

Re: Hood Spring Removal and Install

Nice, good idea!

wutnxt 07-04-2011 10:46 PM

TR65..

Okay you win....thats a great way to do it...

Heater63 08-26-2018 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the top. Good info TR65, as I did this today.

another option, use a floor jack to stretch the spring. Attach to the front axle and to the jack arm pivot axle. Very safe.

Rather than weld up a jig, I used wooden paint sticks, $1, as spacers. Broken in half and doubled over, each stick made a 1/8" spacer. When all the coils were stuffed and spaced it was perfect length, the spring fit right on. Then you close the hood, and as the spring is stretched further, all the wooden spacers fall out.

With the spring stretched an spaced, you can handle it safely.
No tugging and pulling. No scratching paint with the spring point.

The Rocknrod 08-26-2018 07:08 AM

My painter used rags through one end and pulled. Rather than using the T-handle I brought in for his use. They sell it at LMC.

TR65 08-26-2018 09:55 PM

Heater63,

Excellent idea! Very safe.

TR

Clyde65 08-26-2018 09:59 PM

WhenI did mine, I just used one of those ratchet straps but this is a great idea

Heater63 08-27-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 8330974)
Heater63,

Excellent idea! Very safe.

TR

TR, Coming from an engineer, I take that as the ultimate compliment. Thanks for starting this string many years ago!

PGSigns 08-27-2018 08:56 PM

Here is what I do. With the hood off I pull the rear bolt out, loosen the front one just a bit and rotate the hinge down and the spring is no longer any pressure. Pull the hinge and spring off. To put em back on just reverse the process. Have done this several time works fine.
Jimmy

aotte1 12-09-2019 11:09 PM

Use a racket strap too. Loop some strap around the hook end toward front. Pull strap and hook spring end into slot. Make sure the spring end on the hinge stays in place correctly.
Works easy for us. Hope this helps.

Les

nsb29 12-10-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 8331779)
Here is what I do. With the hood off I pull the rear bolt out, loosen the front one just a bit and rotate the hinge down and the spring is no longer any pressure. Pull the hinge and spring off. To put em back on just reverse the process. Have done this several time works fine.
Jimmy

That’s what I did as well! So simple Nothing to it

PGSigns 12-11-2019 07:31 AM

It is quick and easy for sure. If you are worried about fresh paint just put masking tape down and once you have the two bolts started pull the tape.
Jimmy

The Rocknrod 12-11-2019 09:55 AM

I ended up buying the T-handle from LMC, it works.

nadodave 08-23-2020 02:42 PM

Thanks for the ratchet strap recommendation! I was about to start cutting up paint sticks - which also seemed like an elegant idea and not as risky as welding a bracket (I’m a lame welder). It took me all of 5 min to change both springs once I figured out where to anchor the strap. I had not looked forward to this exercise, but was tired of propping my hood with a broom stick!

Thanks again!

'65 chevy lover 08-25-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Jimmy

Yes, this is how I do it!

Lunnb 08-25-2020 09:39 PM

I just take a piece of 1/4” nylon rope , loop it thru the hook and then pull the spring into position with one hand .

Pitpig 08-30-2020 05:19 PM

I just wedge a piece of jack handle under the end or the spring and instability it like a brake spring

1G1YY 11-28-2021 10:31 PM

I just did this....real simple.
Rear bolt in loosish, tilt back, fit spring, then pulled hinge forward by hand, fitted front bolt....done.
I put a piece of cardboard between inner fender and hinge to protect paint.
I used old springs..

hairball 11-29-2021 09:51 AM

Maybe my original springs are weak but I used a piece of nylon rope with a handle at the end to easily pull them into place.
Hairball

Chevy Fleetside 12-02-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Jimmy

:agree: