The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Grill alignment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803965)

J48chevy 04-07-2020 10:58 PM

Grill alignment

1 Attachment(s)
Having some issues with alignment on my new grill. Hard to see in pic. The top bar on each side edge hits the fenders by the light ring areas making it stick out maybe 1/4 inch on each side at the top. Basically the 2 bolts that go into the fender has the gap. Any suggestions? All holes line up on the rest of the grill fine.

mr48chev 04-08-2020 12:01 AM

Re: Grill alignment

Do you have your old grill even if it is all beat up to compare to?

The back side of the top bar may not be made the same as the original was. I've got a top bar hanging in one of the sheds to look at but can't get to it tonight.

J48chevy 04-08-2020 02:42 PM

No I don’t have the original one any more. I will post a better pic of what I am running into.

J48chevy 04-08-2020 02:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few better pics of what I am running into.

MiraclePieCo 04-08-2020 04:24 PM

Have you tried cranking the bolts down fully and seeing if it bends it into alignment? That would pull equally on both the grille and the fender, bringing them together.

If that fails, don't be afraid to use the hammer and grinder or big pry bar. None of that metal is sacred. If it's hanging up, do whatever is required to change it. It's on the back side; no one will ever see. Pro builders do this stuff all the time.

mr48chev 04-08-2020 10:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Looking at a couple of my fenders the surface where the grill fastens to behind the top bar needs to be quite straight up and down and not pushed out at the lower edge.

Looking at the back of the top bar I have the back side also wants to be straight up and down and not pulled out like the outside tab that fastens it to the grill on mine. The bar came to me that way by it's self in a pile of parts but it looks like who ever pulled it off tweaked the tar out of it.

I'm thinking that it is going to be trial and adjust on your part to get it right.

mick53 04-08-2020 10:56 PM

I can take some pictures of my 53 original grill if you want. It's still on there.

mr48chev 04-08-2020 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at your grill again and looking at the green one on my 1-1/2 ton gets me to wondering if I am seeing an optical illusion or if the last bit of the end of the bar sticks back behind the rest of the bar. You should be able to lay a straight edge on the back side of that bar and not have any clearance all the way down that straight surface.

J48chevy 04-08-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8712447)
Looking at your grill again and looking at the green one on my 1-1/2 ton gets me to wondering if I am seeing an optical illusion or if the last bit of the end of the bar sticks back behind the rest of the bar. You should be able to lay a straight edge on the back side of that bar and not have any clearance all the way down that straight surface.

Will check this out tomorrow. The corners could be curved back a little.

J48chevy 04-10-2020 05:28 PM

Well think I may have it figured out. Just have 2 words for all of you. AFTERMARKET FENDERS. Upon looking closer the one fender I had to cut the tab off to mount to the grill and cut about 1” off and reweld it. It was that far off. Then had to do a little slight twist of the top bar and everything now lines up.

mr48chev 04-10-2020 07:19 PM

That makes you a member of the had to deal with aftermarket fenders club in good standing.

I don't belong to that club and hopefully never do but from what read having to make some mods to get them to work is standard procedure.