The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone know this color? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776225)

trevord121 11-28-2018 01:17 PM

Anyone know this color?

3 Attachment(s)
Need help figuring out the name of the darker blue paint this is truck is. My buddy has a 1965 c10 and the cab was completely rotted away. Found a clean cab for it and now he needs to paint the cab to match. If anyone knows the color code or the name of the paint thatd be great. Also what is the white color code/name? Thanks!

MARTINSR 12-02-2018 04:58 PM

Re: Anyone know this color?

First off a color from a photo is REALLY hard to come up with, one photo will look totally different than another. What you need to do is take a part of the truck down to the local paint store and they can figure it out. They have a "camera" they can shoot it with or simply color chips. I can't recommend enough, do not buy all your paint when you get that color info, get a quart or even a pint and spray out a test panel of your own, a large one, an old fender or something to BE SURE it is the color you want. After you do that, buy your couple of gallons to do the truck.

Brian

Wyo George 12-02-2018 05:17 PM

What he said! It's hard enough to match an OEM color, but something that's not original is just a guessing game.

When I'm painting a vehicle and have to match existing paint I take it and have the paint store scan the color. I even do it with OEM colors if the existing paint is more than 5 years old because paint fades over time and it's worth a little trouble to get a quality job.

MARTINSR 12-02-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo George (Post 8397396)
What he said! It's hard enough to match an OEM color, but something that's not original is just a guessing game.

When I'm painting a vehicle and have to match existing paint I take it and have the paint store scan the color. I even do it with OEM colors if the existing paint is more than 5 years old because paint fades over time and it's worth a little trouble to get a quality job.

Plus you have "alternates" which can be VERY different, all with the same paint code!

You know what I have done when I had my shop and I painted cars that the owner was changing colors? I would do a spray out card with the color they wanted and had them sign it. :D

Brian

Wyo George 12-02-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8397504)
Plus you have "alternates" which can be VERY different, all with the same paint code!

You know what I have done when I had my shop and I painted cars that the owner was changing colors? I would do a spray out card with the color they wanted and had them sign it. :D

Brian

Exactly! Like when I worked at a dealership and a new car would come in with collision damage and it had a pearl coat. I'd do a let down panel with a half dozen variations to find the combo that matched the factory tri-coat.

I don't miss that stuff, it got old.