The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cleaning out gas tank? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=726511)

KyleSeal 01-03-2017 11:41 PM

Cleaning out gas tank?

I have a stock gas tank for my 70 and its got some rust in it (no holes just a bit messy), how do I clean this up? Or do I just get the dust from storage out and run it?

brad_man_72 01-03-2017 11:50 PM

Re: Cleaning out gas tank?

Remove pickup and sening unit. A chain and vinegar will take care of the loose rust and then some. Seal with red kote.

KyleSeal 01-04-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad_man_72 (Post 7814094)
Remove pickup and sening unit. A chain and vinegar will take care of the loose rust and then some. Seal with red kote.

Can you elaborate? Also if you recommend a product that would be very beneficial.

DarkFlounder 01-04-2017 01:04 AM

Take a look at POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer.

Denzille 01-04-2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad_man_72 (Post 7814094)

Good advice, vinegar is the best and I love the smell.

scooterpimp 01-04-2017 06:39 AM

Wouldnt spend too much time cleaning , & tank sealing can be a gamble. New tanks arent that expensive if tank is scetchy?

brad_man_72 01-04-2017 07:41 AM

Remove fuel tank, remove sending unit, add chain and a gallon of vinegar. Agitate, let sit for an hour, agitate repeat for a day or so to let te vinegar work at dissolving the rust. remove vinegar, rinse with water agitating occasionally. Remov chain and water, let dry perferably with heat so theirs less chance of rust. Seal tank with red kote following instructions. Let cure for several days. Reinstall sending unit and pickup. Reinstall gas tank. Fill with fuel. Drive repeat.

brad_man_72 01-04-2017 07:43 AM

If you're in some kind of rush. Replace vinegar with muratic acid. Will work in minutes instead of overnight. Rinse, dry, add a bunch of 2 stroke oil to your first fill up.

jocko 01-04-2017 10:15 AM

Then again vinegar won't singe your nose hair. If you choose muratic acid, make sure to take all the precautions. It will eat through blacktop and is harmful if inhaled too much. I'd just go with the vinegar personally - then you don't have to worry about disposal either. Muratic acid is a different story, can be a major pain to get rid of it (properly). I've used it, probably won't again except for derusting small hardware - but there are many non-toxic products on the market now to choose from. I'm no tree hugger by any stretch, but I would not dump it on the ground or down the drain (not that anyone is suggesting that - but rinsing the tank will produce a large mix of water and muratic acid with nowhere to go).

randy500 01-04-2017 11:04 AM

Post a want to buy ad in the parts section and buy a used tank, cleaning and sealing is silly when the tank is readily available used.