The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Interesting Drag Video (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826254)

special-K 09-26-2021 06:44 PM

Interesting Drag Video

First I wanted to share this but wasn't sure where to put it. What a fast Slant 6! I decided to start a thread and invite anyone to share any "interesting", as in not your everyday fast drag vehicle videos you come across.

Funny, too. This is my local track (now that 75 & 80 is closed)

CG 09-26-2021 06:51 PM

Re: Interesting Drag Video

Slant six engines are indestructible ... Well we tried to kill the one in my dads Dart to no avail lol.

Be prepared for a bunch of videos of that Farm Truck ... Yawn (lol).

67 twins 09-27-2021 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8976609)
Slant six engines are indestructible ... Well we tried to kill the one in my dads Dart to no avail lol.

Be prepared for a bunch of videos of that Farm Truck ... Yawn (lol).

Not true, I blew up the one in my dad's 65 Belvedere( without trying )& my little brother blew up the one in dad's 71 Dart.

special-K 09-27-2021 05:02 AM

All I know is back in the day I knew of more slant 6 cars being driven in to be junked than hauled in. Those engines were known for their durability and longevity. You and your brother must have been pro engine killers :lol:

Keeping the interesting dragster theme going here

Getter-Done 09-27-2021 06:25 AM

Here is a Track in my area.

Link:blob:https://www.youtube.com/c02966e9-b00...1-a89322314554

67 twins 09-27-2021 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=special-K;8976778]All I know is back in the day I knew of more slant 6 cars being driven in to be junked than hauled in. Those engines were known for their durability and longevity. You and your brother must have been pro engine killers :lol:

Not so that's the only 4 stroke engine I've ever blown up. From my experience with the different vehicles my parents had when I was a kid Chrysler products had funky engineering & just weren't as robust as GM products. That's why I have never bought one as an adult.

Blue GMC 09-27-2021 01:41 PM

I thought at first you were posting a different “drag” video :lol:

special-K 09-28-2021 05:06 AM

CG 09-29-2021 05:32 PM

I grew up on Mopars from the mid 60's to the early 70's. Had a ton of em, love em, nothing inherently wrong with them over other stuff. That said I really love the GM's too, owned a lot of them too. Oh, had some Fords and even an AMC.

Course me and special-K are clueless when it comes to anything automotive lol ... Just funnin with ya twins!

About 7 min 30 seconds ... Ugh again it wont embed, whats the secret?

special-K 09-29-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8978038)
About 7 min 30 seconds ... Ugh again it wont embed, whats the secret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUECVZkNk0Y

Go back and edit the link. All you need to do is backspace the 's' out of 'https'. Seriously, it's that simple. Now I have to watch it so I can comment.

I dropped the slant six topic because I realized I might have hurt someone's feelings saying he was an engine killer. I was just ribbing. I know nothing about him or how or why those engines blew. What I do know is his experience was the rare exception. I didn't make up the slant 6 reputation for being durable engines. It's a well known fact I remember from back when they were all over the place in old beater Mopars. I know one thing, that Barracuda is bad to the bone. 9 second 1/4 miles with about 1/2 the cubes of a 454

CG 09-29-2021 08:41 PM

I was just goofin on the slant six stuff, we all have different experiences, no skin off my nose and hopefully his lol.

Thanks for the tip on the embed .. I just plain ol forgot about it.

67 twins 09-30-2021 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8978065)
Go back and edit the link. All you need to do is backspace the 's' out of 'https'. Seriously, it's that simple. Now I have to watch it so I can comment.

I dropped the slant six topic because I realized I might have hurt someone's feelings saying he was an engine killer. I was just ribbing. I know nothing about him or how or why those engines blew. What I do know is his experience was the rare exception. I didn't make up the slant 6 reputation for being durable engines. It's a well known fact I remember from back when they were all over the place in old beater Mopars. I know one thing, that Barracuda is bad to the bone. 9 second 1/4 miles with about 1/2 the cubes of a 454

No worries you didn't hurt my feelings, I don't have any. Joking but seriously I've been around long enough not to be offended by others opinions. I know what works for me & that's GM vehicles.
As I was growing up my parents had numerous GM vehicles 3 Chrysler products & one Ford that I can remember. The Ford was alright the GMs just worked & the Chryslers you had to work on. Hell my dad should have known better, his father worked for GM, but I guess being an electrical engineer he didn't understand mechanics. I've seen others have more issues with Chryslers than other vehicles, hence I was never willing to spend my money on a Chrysler, hell if you gave me one I'd turn around and sell it as fast as I could (hopefully before it broke down and I had to stick money in it.

special-K 09-30-2021 05:17 AM

Yeah, I've owned one Dodge and that experience led me to buying Chevys. I never compared the two or gave my opinion. Just repeated the slant six reputation the way I always heard it. Any engine can blow up.

Oh yeah, Dragula. Car culture sure got into the TV shows back in the '60s

I've always been waaayy impressed with this '36 Chevy pickup running a turbo'd 292

67 twins 09-30-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8978186)
Yeah, I've owned one Dodge and that experience led me to buying Chevys. I never compared the two or gave my opinion. Just repeated the slant six reputation the way I always heard it. Any engine can blow up.

Oh yeah, Dragula. Car culture sure got into the TV shows back in the '60s

I've always been waaayy impressed with this '36 Chevy pickup running a turbo'd 292

1936 Chevy Pickup running 8's!!! GIANT TURBO - YouTube

Hmm well you know I've got a 292 actually have 2 of them. Now all I need is a turbo lol

joedoh 09-30-2021 12:15 PM

my buddy kenny in high school had a slant six volare, dad was a mopar guy and had a 383 on a stand for "when the slant quit" kenny tried to accelerate the process, on tues he drove to work with no coolant. no effect. on wed he drove to work with no coolant and no oil. no effect except it sounded like someone shaking a bag of hammers. thurs the same, only he did a 2 min smoky burnout. friday he put all the fluids back in and drove it till graduation.

cant kill a slant six. some people also say you cant do a burnout in a slant six but he put it up against the high (12") curb at burger king and went after it.

Getter-Done 09-30-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8978295)
my buddy kenny in high school had a slant six volare, dad was a mopar guy and had a 383 on a stand for "when the slant quit" kenny tried to accelerate the process, on tues he drove to work with no coolant. no effect. on wed he drove to work with no coolant and no oil. no effect except it sounded like someone shaking a bag of hammers. thurs the same, only he did a 2 min smoky burnout. friday he put all the fluids back in and drove it till graduation.

cant kill a slant six. some people also say you cant do a burnout in a slant six but he put it up against the high (12") curb at burger king and went after it.

I had a neighbor that done the exact same thing:lol::lol::lol:

67 twins 10-01-2021 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8978065)

Just so you do know something about me, I was actually born in your state, in Hyattsville MD. However I moved to Missouri by the age of 3 months so I don't really know anything about your state.

special-K 10-01-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 8978521)
Just so you do know something about me, I was actually born in your state, in Hyattsville MD. However I moved to Missouri by the age of 3 months so I don't really know anything about your state.

That's cool to know. It's a nice state away from the city, people, countryside, and attitude. I'm learning more about the history of the settlement of America, and how people in certain areas are connected. Then how wars or events like the depression caused re-migration. I was born in Washington, DC but never lived there.

How about another cool late-'30s Chevy p/u? It's different (and fast), too

67 twins 10-01-2021 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8978532)
That's cool to know. It's a nice state away from the city, people, countryside, and attitude. I'm learning more about the history of the settlement of America, and how people in certain areas are connected. Then how wars or events like the depression caused re-migration. I was born in Washington, DC but never lived there.

How about another cool late-'30s Chevy p/u? It's different (and fast), too

Most VIOLENT Diesel We?ve Ever SEEN (3000lb/ft of Torque) - YouTube

I've looked at a map & Hyattsville is a stone's throw from DC. Looking at history I just wonder if the 68 riots in DC were influential in my parents moving the family back to the Midwest. My father was born & raised in St Louis, my mother was raised on a small farm in Illinois. Unfortunately they are both deceased so I can't ask them now.

special-K 10-01-2021 08:17 PM

Yes Hyattsville is a close suburb to DC. It was the booming suburb just across the city limits after WWII. I lived there as well. It was a broad area for that address. In '63 we moved on out to the country. My dad was a school teacher but wanted to do farming as well. It seemed far back then, but still close to the Wash,DC area. After those riots we moved good and far from the city. I remember it was the state of things that was the reason. So not far fetched to think your folks decided to go back to MO for the same reason

I find these Subaru swaps in VWs interesting

Warrens69GMC 10-01-2021 08:43 PM

There was a 63-65 Dodge Dart 4 door that was a SCCA (?) racer with a turbo slant six in 2008, I remember

special-K 10-09-2021 08:41 AM

I was looking for something else when I found this: