The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bench seat console (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=538089)

PortHeadlight 08-12-2012 03:25 PM

Bench seat console

2 Attachment(s)
Decided that I wanted a cupholder console that looked authentic on a bench seat. Shape a base out of wood to the contours of the seat. Sanded and shaped the back and front pieces to the same angle and curves as the original console. Glued and stapled scraps from the original seat covers to the wood frame to give it an "original" look. Cleaned up and reinforced a couple small cracks in the lid, and painted the top section and lid satin black. Console emblem and trim ring were in real good condition. Small piece of doormat carpet trimmed to fit over a 1/4 inch piece of plywood as the "bottom" of the console. Nothing is holding the console in place on the seat other than friction. May attach a small strap to the bottom and pull it between the seats and attach under the seat.

Regret not taking more pictures during construction. Wasn't all that hard. Patience to get the contour right and fitting the console lid bracket.

PortHeadlight 08-12-2012 03:40 PM

Re: Bench seat console

1 Attachment(s)
Meant to include this one of the bottom....

vectorit 08-12-2012 03:52 PM

Very nice!
I like it a lot.

I would think about making a strap to hold it in place, maybe something that goes around the bench and secured with velcro?

The way I drive, and the stiffness of a 4x4 that console for sure would bounce off the seat.

LockDoc 08-12-2012 04:10 PM

-
Looks great! I also agree with you guys about securing it. Don't want to ding up the console or dash...

LockDoc

POS1 08-12-2012 10:09 PM

That's great. It's what I would have wanted.
Posted via Mobile Device

nt30 09-01-2012 08:46 PM

Two things.
Maybe a strap that could utilize seatbelt to secure it.

Second- anyway to get a pic of the design on your seats? Is it factory? Looks sweet!
Posted via Mobile Device

PortHeadlight 09-02-2012 08:29 AM

Clipped in place with simple strap and disconnect buckle underneath the seat. Seat cover pattern is standard 69-70 scroll style deluxe interior. Purchased this one from board member Tim Christian a couple years ago, including instructions, hog rings and pliers.

CG 09-02-2012 12:40 PM

Looks great. Ive been holding on to a counsel like that to do the same thing.

murphy98 02-07-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortHeadlight (Post 5535567)
Decided that I wanted a cupholder console that looked authentic on a bench seat. Shape a base out of wood to the contours of the seat. Sanded and shaped the back and front pieces to the same angle and curves as the original console. Glued and stapled scraps from the original seat covers to the wood frame to give it an "original" look. Cleaned up and reinforced a couple small cracks in the lid, and painted the top section and lid satin black. Console emblem and trim ring were in real good condition. Small piece of doormat carpet trimmed to fit over a 1/4 inch piece of plywood as the "bottom" of the console. Nothing is holding the console in place on the seat other than friction. May attach a small strap to the bottom and pull it between the seats and attach under the seat.

Regret not taking more pictures during construction. Wasn't all that hard. Patience to get the contour right and fitting the console lid bracket.

Hi, I love what you have done with this console! I would like to try doing something similar for my '62 GMC bench seat, trying to make it look as if it might have been a factory option at the time. Unfortunately GM never made a console (with the exception of the "buddy bucket seat" style) for the 60-66 trucks as far as I am aware of. That's why I was thinking of adapting the 67-72 style floor console to fit on my seat as you have done. I was wondering if you know whether this unit would fit an original '62 bench seat front to back without overhanging the front edge? Not sure if the seat depth dimensions changed from the 60-66 trucks to the 67-72 trucks. My bench seat depth is exactly 18" from the back to the front edge where the small 1/8" vinyl piping is. Also can you give me the width of your console as well. Any info you can provide on this would be most helpful.
Thanks!

PortHeadlight 02-07-2014 10:39 PM

I don't know whether or not it's the same seat...but I measured the bottom of the top section of the original console and it's 19". If you look at the picture showing the side, it looks like the base of the original console is a bit longer than the seat and it tapers back... maybe even a full inch if you consider the back is also at an angle. I'm guessing they are very similar in length at it could work. The front of the curved bottom base that I made is right up to the edge of the piping.

The width of the console is about 11.25" Hope this helps.

murphy98 02-07-2014 10:50 PM

Yes it does, thanks very much for the info. I figure since I will need to make a new base contoured to the seat back and bottom anyway, I can always adjust the overall length to fit just right. Now I just need to find a good console to modify.
Thanks again for the help.

Rotaxx 02-14-2014 11:55 AM

PortHeadlight,

Thanks for posting these project photos, I'm planning on unashamedly copying your idea exactly (except in blue vinyl) in my '72 Suburban.

How did you end up securing it to the seat? I was thinking of using the middle seat belt, but maybe a completely independent strap is the best way to go.

Bill

PortHeadlight 02-14-2014 05:38 PM

I used an independent strap. 1" wide strap with clip. I secured the strap on the wood base. The strap goes over the front of the seat and between the seat and backrest. Clips underneath the seat.

Rotaxx 02-16-2014 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm still looking for a good candidate for this project. They sure do want quite a bit for the originals in good condition, and even in not good condition.

3757chevy 09-21-2023 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very cool. I modified a console in my K5 Blazer to hold a stereo so that I would not disturb my original dash. I cut to fit a cheap styrofoam cooler as well. Now I've upgraded my front seats.

PortHeadlight 09-21-2023 07:25 PM

Awesome! I really like when folks that make "period correct" if not NOS perfectchanges that keep the integrity of the original truck... but that's just one man's opinion. My radio is new version that looks original but I can plug in music or use bluetooth.

NOS guys are awesome too!

pontiacvince 09-27-2023 08:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made a pattern out of cardboard and made this console for my Suburban with cup holders, junk tray, stereo, and speakers. The main reason was that I didn't want to cut my dash for a better stereo.

ghackett1 09-27-2023 08:35 PM

Nice job, looks factory:metal: