The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   speakers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=614560)

novafrog 01-30-2014 09:06 PM

speakers

what is the difference between 2way,3,4,5,way speakers,looking at 6x9 to fill holes in door,and back of seat,thanks

panhandler62 01-31-2014 08:32 AM

Re: speakers

That is referring to how many speakers are in each mount. The idea is to optimize performance in a given band by using a speaker designed for that band.

The best approach is discrete components. That being a bit expensive for a lot of people; I would say 3 way 6x9s in the doors and 2 ways behind you. You aren't going to hear a lot of detail from behind the seat but bass works fine that way.

novafrog 01-31-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhandler62 (Post 6500558)
That is referring to how many speakers are in each mount. The idea is to optimize performance in a given band by using a speaker designed for that band.

The best approach is discrete components. That being a bit expensive for a lot of people; I would say 3 way 6x9s in the doors and 2 ways behind you. You aren't going to hear a lot of detail from behind the seat but bass works fine that way.

what kind of speakers would you use,don't need no mind blowing sound,but if I want to turn it up I want to be able to understand it,what kind of head unit would you use,started to go to stereo shop,but they will tell you any thing to make a sale,thanks very much

panhandler62 02-01-2014 11:46 AM

Opinions will vary a bit (OK, a lot) but I like Infinity, Bose and Polk.
Pioneer makes a perfectly good speaker also (not as good as those above, but our trucks are hardly good sound beds to begin with.)

This is just my own experience with things I have had. There are some audio experts on this forum that can probably give much better advice.

novafrog 02-01-2014 08:41 PM

panhandler,thanks again

Special-Ed 02-02-2014 02:10 PM

the key to building a good sound system is to know what you want when its complete...

and then build it to meet those requirements...

JLaudio, kenwood, clarion, those would be a good start as far as speakers go...
personally i rock kenwoods in my suburban, clarion in my boat, and JL will be going in the projects car/trucks

head units and amps... its to personal... get the best you can afford...
head units typically dont have enough power to rock out of a wet paper towel.

Andy4639 02-02-2014 11:16 PM

I have 2 mids in the stock dash location, 2 3 ways under the bench seat, 2 10" subs behind the seat and 2 tweeters in each cab corner where the old clothess hanger use to be. I have the cab corner panels yet installed with 6x9 in them.

Subs are on there own amp. The 2 mids and 3 ways are on their own amp.