The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Muffler Replacement - Stock? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=842834)

Ironhorse 03-09-2023 11:42 PM

Muffler Replacement - Stock?

Would anyone know what is a currently offered replacement and stock sounding muffler for a '99 Tahoe with 5.7 Vortec and 2WD. What ever muffler is currently on my recently purchased daily driver is the most annoying muffler I have ever had the dis-pleasure to listen to. The drone at any speed is just obnoxious to listen to. It's not loud but the constant drone is just too much.

Not sure what is under it now but next week will find a shop I can get it on a lift to take a look at it. Used to be that a good Walker muffler was a decent replacement for an original stock sound. Don't want a "performance" muffler, just a decent suitable muffler with a smooth quiet sound that is not so annoying at cruise speeds or driving on the streets in town. As mentioned it's a daily driver, and currently the drone from this muffler is very irritating to listen to.

Just call me Sean 03-10-2023 12:11 AM

Re: Muffler Replacement - Stock?

I bought one from AutoZone and threw it on, stock type replacement. It's quiet.

95 S_Trucker 03-10-2023 08:51 AM

Walker 21504 if it's a 2-door. 21289 if it's a 4 door. That will be as close to factory sound without getting one from GM.

special-K 03-10-2023 11:08 AM

Yeah, I'd go to Walker for OEM design exhaust. I'm looking to improve my Suburban's exhaust system. It currently has a Flowmaster 1 into 2 I installed when I had dual tailpipes run out behind the rear tires. All that custom work is gone now, straight out the muffler now. The sound doesn't bother me. I don't heard/feel a drone, but I know that drone you're talking about and it bugs me. I'm considering buying a whole new OEM type Walker system to be practical. Not sure how long I'll be in this thing. What I'd do if I wasn't considering being more practical (I'm getting old :cool:) is a custom full dual exhaust using Cadillac, medium duty truck or Quiet Flow mufflers. If I go stock single exhaust it will be the first stock exhaust I've even installed or left on a vehicle in my life.

I have a new neighbor not so close to me who for whatever odd reason starts and idles his '90s pickup about every day for a long time before driving and more often he never even goes anywhere. He has started it at 5am and let it idle till 8am before shutting off. His exhaust is louder than stock like mine but it has the most annoying steadily fluctuating drone at idle that I can feel in my head and chest as bad as hear. ong ong ong ong... My brain gets used to it so it's just there. My hearing will create a similar sound sometimes, like heavy equipment building a hiway or development in the distance. When he shuts it off it's an instant relief. It's very quite here and this guy is making me unhappy about his noise pollution he brought with him

Ironhorse 03-12-2023 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker (Post 9185484)
Walker 21504 if it's a 2-door. 21289 if it's a 4 door. That will be as close to factory sound without getting one from GM.

Thanks for posting those part numbers. My Tahoe is a 4 door, 2wd. Will look at either Amazon or Rock Auto and see what they have. Also will check with our local O'reilly's and see what they offer. :chevy:

Richard 03-13-2023 07:00 PM

Have heard good things about the AP/Eastern mufflers on Rock Auto. 1/3rd to 1/4 price of the Walkers. https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/ex...uffler,1001312

speedygonzales 03-29-2023 06:22 PM

why ask the question

Wow! why even ask the question. Wanted close to OEM quiet examples and have a few from actual users but decides he's going to look elsewhere. Then why ask?

SMH.

Ironhorse 03-29-2023 08:21 PM

Re: why ask the question

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedygonzales (Post 9191584)
Wow! why even ask the question. Wanted close to OEM quiet examples and have a few from actual users but decides he's going to look elsewhere. Then why ask?

SMH.

I asked the question because I value the board member's here who have previous experience when buying parts and utilizing such parts. Fit, quality, price and perceived value for parts used all enter into the equation.

I mentioned checking with Amazon, O'reilys and Rock Auto in reference to the OEM quiet muffler numbers and options provided by several members to decide which business would be my best option for availability, shipping costs and price total required. Sure am glad you can read my mind and decide you know what is best for me and my circumstances. Totally in awe of your physic powers!

OutlawDrifter 03-30-2023 04:40 PM

Another vote for Walker Quiet-Flow SS mufflers.

Ironhorse 05-15-2024 03:10 PM

Bringing this back to top as I ordered the Walker Quiet-flow 21289 muffler this morning from Amazon. Should be here by Tuesday next week and will report back as to the driving and sound experience with it. The current muffler on my '99 Tahoe is apparently a Flowmaster Super 44 (?) or so I was told by the mechanic while it was up on the lift. Looking forward to getting rid of what ever it is and a more OEM style quiet exhaust.

Ironhorse 05-22-2024 04:38 PM

Tahoe has a new sound today, a Walker Quiet-flow SS made such a difference, no more irritating drone ! Walker 21289 and a bit of re-work of the existing exhaust connections and Tahoe has a much more smooth and quieter tone. Thanks 95_S Trucker for supplying the Walker 2 dr or 4 dr numbers. That was a huge help. As I've mentioned many times before when asking board members for parts, fit and use questions, I appreciate and value real world members experience with parts to steer one in the right direction. :chevy: