The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Storing Front Clip (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849923)

rbruno68 01-16-2024 01:09 PM

Storing Front Clip

I just finished removing the front clip from my truck. I took it off intact. I have it stored in my garage in an upright position and sitting on the back of the fenders that normally face the door. It is heavier then I thought it would be. I am little worried that the weight sitting on the edge of the fenders might distort the fenders. I have set a goal for my build to take about a year to get the truck reassembled. Is that too long to leave the clip intact sitting upright with out effecting the fenders? Or, am I worried too much.
Thanks,
Rob

joesscamaro 01-17-2024 06:40 AM

Re: Storing Front Clip

Are your inner fenders still attached also? If so, that would add some rigidity to all of it. As long as you can't see any tension/twisting on the fenders from too much pressure, it will probably be alright. Just my opinion.

rbruno68 01-17-2024 11:25 AM

Yes, the inner fenders are still attached. I tied it to some sturdy shelving next to hopefully prevent it from moving or anything like that.

cwcarpenter98 01-17-2024 11:12 PM

I took the entire front clip off and completely apart when I replaced the radiator core support several years ago. My thoughts are that it's simple to disassemble and reassemble, so if you're worried about the fenders having issues, especially if there's some rust in the structure, you'll be better off taking it all apart. It will also give you the opportunity to address any rust issues if you desire to do that.

I only replaced the core support with an aftermarket piece, so I had no trouble at all getting everything lined back up properly. I just took my time and left all the bolts loose until I got everything lined up well.

rbruno68 01-18-2024 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9277638)
I took the entire front clip off and completely apart when I replaced the radiator core support several years ago. My thoughts are that it's simple to disassemble and reassemble, so if you're worried about the fenders having issues, especially if there's some rust in the structure, you'll be better off taking it all apart. It will also give you the opportunity to address any rust issues if you desire to do that.

I only replaced the core support with an aftermarket piece, so I had no trouble at all getting everything lined back up properly. I just took my time and left all the bolts loose until I got everything lined up well.

That is a good point. There are a couple reasons I haven't taken it apart.... yet. First is storage. I am tight for space, so it is easier right now to store it in one piece. Second, my goal for the build is to get it back together and enjoy driving while I continue to work on it and fix things. So, my vision is to put it back on in one piece. Like most of our trucks, it does need rust repair at the bottom of each fender. I did find a bit of rust on the passenger side where it bolts to the bushing. It is not completely rotted so it could go back on as is. I think a lot of what I do with it will depend on time. Yes, it would probably better to fix things while it is apart now, but sometimes I am not very patient.

cwcarpenter98 01-19-2024 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno68 (Post 9277748)
That is a good point. There are a couple reasons I haven't taken it apart.... yet. First is storage. I am tight for space, so it is easier right now to store it in one piece. Second, my goal for the build is to get it back together and enjoy driving while I continue to work on it and fix things. So, my vision is to put it back on in one piece. Like most of our trucks, it does need rust repair at the bottom of each fender. I did find a bit of rust on the passenger side where it bolts to the bushing. It is not completely rotted so it could go back on as is. I think a lot of what I do with it will depend on time. Yes, it would probably better to fix things while it is apart now, but sometimes I am not very patient.

I totally get your thought process here. It's why I haven't taken mine apart fully for the rust repair. I've been enjoying driving it too much

raidmagic 01-25-2024 03:37 PM

I left mine like that for a good year with no issues. Fit right back on when I was done.

rbruno68 01-26-2024 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidmagic (Post 9280027)
I left mine like that for a good year with no issues. Fit right back on when I was done.

That is good to know. I am hoping mine is back on the road within a year. At least, that is my goal.
Thanks

SCOTI 01-31-2024 12:29 PM

My front clip is intact & sitting on a dolley w/some cardboard under the edges & I'm using ratchet straps @ each side to keep it from tipping. Been there for multiple years w/o issue.

rbruno68 02-01-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9281849)
My front clip is intact & sitting on a dolley w/some cardboard under the edges & I'm using ratchet straps @ each side to keep it from tipping. Been there for multiple years w/o issue.

Not sure what they are called but they are sort of a floor pad the fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. I think they are considered exercise mats. Either way, that is what I have mine sitting on. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it should be ok.