The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 10-14-2023 09:34 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up these "Custom/10" fender badges after realising the "custom" font matches the flimsy little plastic badge that goes on the glove box door exactly. If I modify these badges the same way I modified the "GMC" fender badge, I can re-create the glove box emblem in metal instead of the lame plastic one. Yes it will be a bit larger but I believe it will look awesome!

Tip70 10-15-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9250576)
I picked up these "Custom/10" fender badges after realising the "custom" font matches the flimsy little plastic badge that goes on the glove box door exactly. If I modify these badges the same way I modified the "GMC" fender badge, I can re-create the glove box emblem in metal instead of the lame plastic one. Yes it will be a bit larger but I believe it will look awesome!

I think that’s a pretty cool idea! Cant wait to see how it turns out

Kronald_70GMC 10-15-2023 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip70 (Post 9250903)
I think that’s a pretty cool idea! Cant wait to see how it turns out

Thanks. I got started on it this afternoon. I think it's looking pretty killer so far.:metal:

Tip70 10-16-2023 01:55 PM

that's looking great sanded down. I never considered that as an option. well done! I have a couple of those badges laying around. new option ideas have opened up :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 10-16-2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip70 (Post 9251166)
that's looking great sanded down. I never considered that as an option. well done! I have a couple of those badges laying around. new option ideas have opened up :lol:

Haha thanks. Good luck on yours. I'm finding it difficult to hold on to the small pieces while grinding them.

chewychevy67 10-16-2023 05:00 PM

That looks good

Tip70 10-16-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9251177)
Haha thanks. Good luck on yours. I'm finding it difficult to hold on to the small pieces while grinding them.

I could imagine! slow and steady wins the race :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 10-16-2023 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 9251215)
That looks good

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip70 (Post 9251222)
I could imagine! slow and steady wins the race :lol:

Haha it definitely is a slow process. One that involves alot of burns on the fingers :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 10-18-2023 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my nice grille nosing removed off that manky grille tonight. I've heard that these are riveted on from factory so this one was obviously changed as it was attached with flat head screws and square nuts that looked like they had a previous life at the bottom of the ocean. :lol: I had to grind them all out which proved pretty easy as I did not care about the grille in the least so I did all the grinding from the grille side so as not to damage the part I needed. :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 10-22-2023 08:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today, I got the rest of letters ground down. I'll likely go with one of these orientations. I'm leaning more towards on the right like factory orientation. The door will be painted black with a silver edge to match the gauge package. I think it will look awesome.

chewychevy67 10-23-2023 12:28 AM

I agree. Something about the centered one looks to busy or something. I like the lower right lettering.

Tip70 10-23-2023 01:36 PM

nice! Its going to look sweet!

Kronald_70GMC 10-23-2023 01:55 PM

Thank you.

loudchevy 10-23-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9252853)
I'm leaning more towards on the right like factory orientation.

Nice little custom touch! I agree, the letters on the lower right look better.

Kronald_70GMC 10-23-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudchevy (Post 9253065)
Nice little custom touch! I agree, the letters on the lower right look better.

Thanks. I agree, I think that's what I'll be going with.

Kronald_70GMC 10-29-2023 05:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today I started to fill the weld seam along the inner roof skin. It is quite the tricky process to sand the corners perfectly so I has taken me many light coats to get to this point. The closer I get, the easier it is to just use the shape of the plastic bondo spreader and only do light sanding. This is all fiberglass reinforced filler and it will all need a coat, probably several, of the lightweight filler yet.

Kronald_70GMC 11-05-2023 06:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More filler put down along the welded seam on the inner roof skin today. I've pretty well got all the deeper spots filled in with fiberglass filler now so I can start the light filler next weekend I think. I also used some of the extra filler I had mixed up on some areas of the inner firewall and toe kick areas instead of wasting it.

While waiting for filler to dry, I also took an old ragged dash pad I had and stripped out the spine. I had to remove the 2 end studs and put in some rivnuts going the other direction as I am planning to make my dash pad with fiberglass and it will be too rigid to get those studs in place.

Kronald_70GMC 11-25-2023 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well it's been a rough few weeks. My grandma passed away on the 8th of November and I was really having a tough time getting motivated to do anything for a while after. As I started to feel the motivation to do anything come back, me and my whole family ended up with Covid. I missed a whole week of work but today, I finally made it back out to the shop to work with some filler. I've completed the marglass stage of the inner roof seam and moved on to the lightweight filler there. The passenger rocker panel is also complete with marglass.

Getter-Done 11-26-2023 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9261245)
Well it's been a rough few weeks. My grandma passed away on the 8th of November and I was really having a tough time getting motivated to do anything for a while after. As I started to feel the motivation to do anything come back, me and my whole family ended up with Covid. I missed a whole week of work but today, I finally made it back out to the shop to work with some filler. I've completed the marglass stage of the inner roof seam and moved on to the lightweight filler there. The passenger rocker panel is also complete with marglass.

Sorry for your loss.
The thing that helps me the most When I start missing my Loved ones/ Mentors,
Is Remembering what they taught and instilled in me.

My last Childhood mentor passed away a month ago today.

I was so fortunate to have all of them in my life.

Your marglass work is Over the Top.:metal:

You have Master that stuff.

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 11-27-2023 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9261497)
Sorry for your loss.
The thing that helps me the most When I start missing my Loved ones/ Mentors,
Is Remembering what they taught and instilled in me.

My last Childhood mentor passed away a month ago today.

I was so fortunate to have all of them in my life.

Your marglass work is Over the Top.:metal:

You have Master that stuff.

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

You are right, the memories will always be there and it's good to have them. I am sorry for your loss as well.

Thank you for the compliments. :gmc2:

Kronald_70GMC 12-03-2023 09:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished sanding my 1st coat of filler on the drivers side of the inner roof and put down another coat today. While waiting for that to dry, I fit my drivers side ac vent. I ordered the kit from LMC a while ago and so far I am happy with it. I had to do some sanding on the plastic to get it to fit really nice to the dash. Made sure to fit the duct connector as well and I'm glad I did. I had to file out small notches where the 3 clips are located. My opening was very tight and the clips wouldn't open up to allow the connector to fit. Once my filler was dry, I sanded the corner again and it is very close to perfection now. I need a few light skims in a couple spots and that corner should be good for primer.

Tip70 12-04-2023 02:48 PM

Nice work! its looking great!

Kronald_70GMC 12-04-2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip70 (Post 9263608)
Nice work! its looking great!

Thanks!

Kronald_70GMC 12-10-2023 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More sanding and another coat of filler today. The section over the drivers door is ready for primer now as well as the rear piller. The section along the back should be good after I sand the last coat of filler I just put down. I realized that I had sanded it a little bit square instead of a nice radius so I had to do some extra sanding which required another coat now. :waah:

Scurry67 12-17-2023 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9265612)
More sanding and another coat of filler today. The section over the drivers door is ready for primer now as well as the rear piller. The section along the back should be good after I sand the last coat of filler I just put down. I realized that I had sanded it a little bit square instead of a nice radius so I had to do some extra sanding which required another coat now. :waah:

Looking good. Awesome attention to detail! The filler work is so time consuming, but you’ll be spraying primer before you know it :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 12-17-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 9267462)
Looking good. Awesome attention to detail! The filler work is so time consuming, but you’ll be spraying primer before you know it :metal:

Thanks for the kind words!

Kronald_70GMC 12-17-2023 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More filler today. I'd say that I'm about 96% in the drivers side corner of the roof seam which I will leave as is now and prime it heavily as every time I try to get it 100%, I have another spot that gets sanded out just a bit too much. I have a few small pin hole type areas to fill along the back. While waiting for filler to dry, I sanded down the metal band that runs under the rear window to bare metal. It was pretty close but it had some surface rust and the odd bit of paint left from when the last owner of the cab had it blasted. Not too bad for being in bare metal for....hmmm must be going on 7 or more years now since I bought it and who knows how long it was blasted before I bought it. :lol:

Tip70 12-18-2023 01:59 PM

coming along nicely!

Kronald_70GMC 12-18-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip70 (Post 9267784)
coming along nicely!

Thank you!

Kronald_70GMC 12-24-2023 12:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I feel like tonight was a good night on the truck. I got a pretty good amount done. I sanded the filler on the passenger corner and then filled the corner again as well as the inner roof above the passenger door, the B pillar and a bit of the lower sash below the rear window. Then while that was drying, I fit my passenger side Ac vent. It went pretty good until I tried to put the duct adapter in. The clip that accepts the screw for the top of the bezel is holding the top tab for the duct down and therefore I can't install it. My Uncle (chewychevy67) told me that it is because the clips that come with the new kits are not the same as factory. He has a factory style clip that I will try and hopefully that will work. Otherwise I may have to cut that tab off and hope that the 2 will hold it. After that, I sanded all the filler that I had applied. :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 01-08-2024 06:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a bit of time to accomplish something on the truck yesterday. I got the passenger AC duct figured out. I ended up having to customize the clip for the top screw. I basically had to have it so that it was right tight to the edge of the cutout which still didn't give me enough clearance for the top clip on the adapter but at least the adapter fits in the opening now. So after trying a few things, none of which ended up working out, I cut the top tab on the vent. This gave me what I needed to get the adapter in place. I even got way lucky and the modified clip actually grabs the top tab on the adapter! :metal: I also added to the edge of the vent under the corner of the glovebox as it was formed wrong in that area and I was not liking the fit. Fits like a glove now though!

Kronald_70GMC 01-14-2024 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was back on filler again today. I got the entire back area around the window all done and put the last coat on a few problem areas. It seems like I have been filling this area forever. Sorry if everyone is getting bored of these pictures. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 01-21-2024 08:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After today, I have 2 small spots left to sand around the back window area and it will finally be finished. I also ended up playing around with a potential profile for my dash pad. I plan to make a few more of these pieces and then run tape across them to get an idea of what it would look like. I may be able to hide the fasteners for the bottom inside the pad and have all the fasteners hidden. I don't have a factory dash pad I can easily access right now but I think this profile would be fairly similar.

Kronald_70GMC 01-29-2024 11:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
On the weekend, I completed the filler around the back window and inner roof skin. Once that was done, I could finally vacuum out my cab and clean up some of the mess in my garage. I also was able to complete a rough visual of the dash pad I'd like to build. I made several more pieces out of all round to use as temporary spines. Then I ran tape across all of them to get a rough visual. I think it would look pretty darn sweet if I can pull it off. Probably will be a while before I tackle this but at least I have the general idea figured out now. I need to figure out what the best option will be for building it now. I'm thinking fiberglass and a rigid foam. I was also able to start welding up any holes I don't need in the bottom of the dash.

loudchevy 01-29-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9281248)
Once that was done, I could finally vacuum out my cab and clean up some of the mess in my garage.

I feel this pain as well. Everything in my garage has a layer of dirt on it. Cab is looking great!

Kronald_70GMC 01-29-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudchevy (Post 9281269)
I feel this pain as well. Everything in my garage has a layer of dirt on it. Cab is looking great!

Haha it's definitely par for the course when working on these old trucks! Thanks for the compliment. :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 02-11-2024 05:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today I finished up welding the holes I won't need in the bottom lip of the dashboard. I also welded up the 2 holes above the ignition switch. I then was able to get a coat of marglass on the bottom of the dashboard. I want to get rid of all the stretch marks and spot welds down there and get it nice and straight.

While I had that going, I also filled in a small spot in the passenger door jamb where my filler had come loose and flaked out. There must have been some contamination back there as I could not break out anywhere else around it. Another thing I had noticed was I had a small spot of rust coming through my primer just above the windshield on the passenger side where I welded up the seam that was there. I dug out the small area and will need to do some more investigating before I determine the correct fix for this. Sometimes there is just a little bit of trial and error to work through when you start customizing things. Oh well it is what it is. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back.:lol:

1972CheyenneSuper 02-11-2024 05:46 PM

Great build, I'm along for the ride. I'm interested to see what you do with your filler panel behind the seats. I'm trying something similar but haven't figured out what I'll be doing with the corners to the door pillar area. Alot of work into those seat brackets as well! I may have missed, but any particular reason for not picking up a set of repro brackets?

Kronald_70GMC 02-11-2024 06:15 PM

Hey thanks for joining in and the compliments! I decided to go that route with the seat brackets for two reasons. The first is that I'm 6'2" tall and headroom isn't a huge thing in these cabs as well as leg room. So I figured if I could lower the seats and move them as far back as possible, that would be more ideal. And the second, I wasn't a fan of the factory brackets how the drivers side was a slider and the passenger side was fixed in place. I wanted one or the other. It was a lot of extra work but in a sense, it didn't cost me anything but time and a bit of welding supplies as I already had all the metal on hand.

1972CheyenneSuper 02-11-2024 06:55 PM

Ah yes, tall people problems. I wouldn't know haha. Understandable for all the reasons you have. I agree on the two different styles for factory buckets being odd. I have to imagine it was a cost issue to not have to re-tool for a mirror set of slider brackets for the passenger seat. From what I can tell the driver bucket brackets are pretty much the same for a bench seat, just with a shorter connecting rod. I could be wrong though.