The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   lift question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=661151)

Tylerz181500 02-22-2015 03:09 PM

lift question

so ive been debating what to do

eventually im going full 4 link, keeping stock frame but adding tubing and such but my question is for now, since im going through somewhat of a rebuild id like to eliminate my 3" body lift and at least use a 1" for certian purposes id like to keep around 9" of lift though which means id use a drop hanger in back with my 6" springs to make it 9, but what do i do up front? do they make a 9 or 10" spring for the front, im ok with a little squat or have no problem runnign a very small block out back. or do i have to start chocking off all the brackets and relocating them downward? if i have to do that i may as well just link the front

special-K 02-23-2015 12:01 AM

Re: lift question

4wd? Yes,
2wd? No, you are limited by a-arms

Tylerz181500 02-23-2015 12:06 AM

i always forget to mention something, geez lol

but yes im 4wd sitting at 9 inches right now, 6" spring and 3" body, id like to take at least 2" of the body out and stay around 9 so a drop shackle in rear with give me the 6+3 that i need back there but the front will be at 6" i also saw that diy4x does offer a b52 kit for pre73 trucks. so thats an option, most people say it gives around 4" o flift and then i can just use 6" rear springs up front as well? it may ride a bit rougher though, i liked the option of a soft ride spring up front but havent found anything past 6" or i could just get something custom arched.

havent looked into the b52's yet or the streetability of them so ill have to do that or inquire.

special-K 02-23-2015 09:49 AM

Ok, I asked because I see lift springs offered up to 12". On the front, if you use the longer 73-up springs by moving the rear mount back it's an automatic 2" lift. you could do that, use 6" springs, and an ORD zero-rate spring (block really) you would have a 9" lift w/o lifting body.
On the rear you could use a shackle-flip, either 4" or 6". I'd go 4" and the rest spring. Both methods front and rear will net the best possible ride with so much lift as well.

57taskforce 02-23-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7061714)
Ok, I asked because I see lift springs offered up to 12". On the front, if you use the longer 73-up springs by moving the rear mount back it's an automatic 2" lift. you could do that, use 6" springs, and an ORD zero-rate spring (block really) you would have a 9" lift w/o lifting body.
On the rear you could use a shackle-flip, either 4" or 6". I'd go 4" and the rest spring. Both methods front and rear will net the best possible ride with so much lift as well.

+1 Good advice. I was gonna say that they definitely make front springs bigger than 6" but you beat me to it. Good advice on the shackle flip as well!

Tylerz181500 02-23-2015 12:37 PM

who makes longer ones? i was already planning on a shackle flip, i was told by multiple people that 73 springs are longer but then superlift and skyjacker said they were they same, how would i move the the rear mount back?

special-K 02-23-2015 10:15 PM

All '73 and newer front leaf springs are longer, just a fact. Not sure why the spring companies are giving you incorrect info. Just relocate everything rearward, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere. This is why your thread should have been posted in the 4wd and off road forum. You would get all the info you need and probably by now. I have never moved the mounts back myself.

I'm going to do you a favor and report this post as being more appropriate for that forum. Look for it there

70LonghornCST 02-23-2015 11:27 PM

Thanks Tim! I moved this to the 4WD section for you. Good luck with your inquiry.

Tylerz181500 02-24-2015 01:01 AM

apparantly being new and not used to the site has its drawbacks, thanks for moving it, and i specifically inquired to both superlift and skyjacker and had them check part number for the 67-72 truck and 73+ and they told me the part numbers for leafs were the same, regardless its not correct info which suspected so i wont base anything off it

special-K 02-24-2015 08:27 AM

your learnin'...you're learnin' :). no worries, just trying to help. Those lift companies are messed up if they say the springs are the same. Her's a place that offers multiple brands, including Superlift & Skyjacker, to confirm the facts:

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/lif...y-gmc/4wd.html

Let's see who pops up with info or a link on 73 springs on 72. The difference is something like 3". You could always get 69-72 8" springs, but taller the spring tighter the ride

BTW, Tuff Country knocks the socks off those companies you spoke with. And Superlift was my brand of choice before they came along.

Tylerz181500 02-24-2015 11:20 AM

i know tuff country is great for leaf spring lifts, i talked my buddy out of rcx for his kit to a tuffcountry because its all ord and everyone uses.

id be nterested in hearing about the 73+ springs and some b52 experience

, so if i call skyjacket i could likely get just the springs? i dont want the rest as im going crossover.

special-K 02-25-2015 08:22 AM

They should sell just the springs. If not, go to someone else.

Tylerz181500 02-25-2015 10:31 AM

thats what im thinking my buddy also said 4x4 square stock mounted under the frame rails and relocate the front hangers downwards a bit is what he usually does, anyone have thoughts on that?

jjzepplin 02-25-2015 10:52 AM

UHM no. Might work for a mud rig but looks downright hokey. Do it right or don't do it. My 2C.

Tylerz181500 02-25-2015 11:54 AM

no i agree, it was mentioned, all his have been mud trucks with the exception of one so your probably on the right track. just figured id ask since its on topic.