The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Show us your crayon marks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=494865)

oem4me 11-20-2011 08:15 PM

Show us your crayon marks

2 Attachment(s)
So what's up with these seemingly random marks we find under the hood and on our firewalls and elsewhere on our trucks. What do they mean? Who put them there, and exactly when? Maybe if we compare a whole bunch of them a pattern might show, or at least some similarities may become evident.
So, if you got some production line scribbling somewhere on your truck, lets see it. Who knows ..we may learn something.
Below: Yellow crayon underside of hood on my '66. Also, on the same truck below the right cowl extension is what looks like the signature (in wet paint) of the guy who shot the color?

rideblue00 11-20-2011 08:33 PM

Re: Show us your crayon marks

I will get some of mine soon. In the meantime oem4me, it would be awesome if you could take many, many pictures of your truck to aid others in assembly for originality. You may have the best original truck in exsistence. This obviously would be at your discression. But there may may not be any better truck to go by like yours. Do you have an online picture account somewhere that you could do this? If so that would be great.

Thanks
Tom

Keith Seymore 11-20-2011 09:24 PM

Normally they relate to build sequence numbers (put there by line workers, in an attempt to keep everything in order) or inspection marks, indicating the item has been checked and approved - or - checked and repair is required.

Most large component assemblies, like tire/wheel assemblies, seats, rear axle trim and driveshaft, front suspension assemblies and engine/trans trim are built up in remote areas of the plant and then conveyed to the main line. It is essential that these items remain in order; if not, then not only is the affected vehicle messed up but everything upstream is messed up too.

They could also be lunch calculations, love notes, or ciphers for their "bookie". Anything is possible.

In the case of the two pictures you've presented - they are not like anything I've seen before on a vintage vehicle. The hood picture seems to indicate perhaps a bank of 10 special parts, and that your's was number 10 in that series (maybe a material tryout of some kind).

And - the cowl photo sure does look like somebody's signature. Never seen that specific one before but I wouldn't put it past someone to do that. In the Pontiac world there was a lady named "Linda" that became quite famous for signing the backside of the glovebox doors that she put together.

Here's mine: I followed my truck down the line (drove it off the line myself) and didn't remember this, but it was apparently build number "87" for that day:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...k/100_7749.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...k/100_7750.jpg

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...16Oct09010.jpg

They are no longer there but I would have expected to find a number 87 on the rear diff cover, on the inside of one (or more) tire/wheel assemblies, on the side of the frame and maybe written on the engine somewhere, all in an attempt to keep the flow of material in order.

K

Str8axle 11-21-2011 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Her's the only one I could find on my '65......

64fleetside 11-21-2011 10:13 AM

Only thing I've really noticed on my stuff was sometimes the VIN or part of it is written on the firewall, but the only thing consistent I've seen was the color-"ivory" written on my 64 & two-tone on my other 64's firewall, seen many others with the color written on the firewall. My theory is many cabs were painted white, then body color added to the lower part for the two tones.

Keith Seymore 11-21-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64fleetside (Post 5022220)
My theory is many cabs were painted white, then body color added to the lower part for the two tones.

Could be, although in later years the secondary color was painted first, taped off and then the primary color sprayed over the top of the masked area.

K

oem4me 11-21-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rideblue00 (Post 5021254)
I will get some of mine soon. In the meantime oem4me, it would be awesome if you could take many, many pictures of your truck to aid others in assembly for originality. You may have the best original truck in exsistence. This obviously would be at your discression. But there may may not be any better truck to go by like yours. Do you have an online picture account somewhere that you could do this? If so that would be great.

Thanks
Tom

Yes, I realize the rarity of an all-original untouched truck, and I do feel an obligation to share the details with those that are inclined to pay attention. Several of you guys have asked for pictures and I will provide them, probably in the form of a "build thread" so the content is not diluted with too many details from other trucks which may become confusing.
Now all I need is some quality time with my truck and a camera (which is not so easy to find these days). Thanks for your patience on that one.
On another note, even as well preserved as my 66 is, I know there are a lot of other trucks out there that are even better. They just belong to people that are not members here, or just prefer their privacy. Example: Recently, a 62 longbed showed up out of nowhere with less than a thousand original miles, virtually unused and in near perfect condition. They are out there.

rideblue00 11-21-2011 12:52 PM

quote:Recently, a 62 longbed showed up out of nowhere with less than a thousand original miles. Virtually an unused truck in near perfect condition. They are out there.

wow, thats awesome.

Yea when you get time for yours that would be sweet.

1963c-10 11-21-2011 01:02 PM

Id love to find an original truck with only 1,000 miles, bad thing is I use it like my daily driver. I just personally enjoy driving my vehicles no matter what year or mileage is on them.

oem4me 11-21-2011 06:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 5021382)
the cowl photo sure does look like somebody's signature. Never seen that specific one before but I wouldn't put it past someone to do that.
K

Two more "signatures" found in the same place, but on my 65 Suburban. To me, none appear to be from the same hand. Both trucks are from the Fremont CA plant.

J.Cagle 11-21-2011 07:31 PM

I need to get my camera to the shop to take some pictures of my 63. It has all the crayon marks still. My 64 had them as well, but I got a little too aggressive when cleaning the fire wall and you can barely read them. My 63 has them above the fire wall. Maybe bc the firewall is fawn??

darkhorse970 11-22-2011 04:31 AM

Very interesting thread. Waiting on more pics.

Keith Seymore 11-22-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 5022974)
Two more "signatures" found in the same place, but on my 65 Suburban. To me, none appear to be from the same hand. Both trucks are from the Fremont CA plant.

Very interesting. The fact that they are all from the Fremont plant may be significant, since Fremont has a reputation for being a little more...."lax"....about the rigid protocols the plants closer to headquarters had to endure. Even more so as you get into the late 60's and into the 70's.

K

72KAY20 12-11-2011 08:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
#329 is written on my K20's firewall above heater, behind dash, on gas tank, on top of bell housing. It also appears to be stamped into the top edge of the firewall above the power brakes.

yelmer 12-11-2011 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the mark on zorro heres mine like oem4me fremont truck 60000 miles original

yelmer 12-13-2011 12:46 AM

oem4me what month was your truck built .looks like the same guy that paint yours, did mine .

oem4me 12-13-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelmer (Post 5062200)
oem4me what month was your truck built .looks like the same guy that paint yours, did mine .

I agree. I think my 66 was built in March. #156964. Yours?

duallyjams 12-13-2011 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some one had fun with mine it has crayon every whereAttachment 841209

Keith Seymore 12-13-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72KAY20 (Post 5059862)
#329 is written on my K20's firewall above heater, behind dash, on gas tank, on top of bell housing. It also appears to be stamped into the top edge of the firewall above the power brakes.

Beautiful! Gotta be your (daily) build sequence number.

Which plant was your truck built in?

K

yelmer 12-13-2011 09:53 AM

oem4me my truck was built 0ct 29 65 115729

yelmer 12-13-2011 10:00 AM

oem4me your truck was built early april . last truck built in march was 156938 take care mike

oem4me 12-13-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelmer (Post 5062553)
oem4me your truck was built early april . last truck built in march was 156938 take care mike

Hey, that's pretty cool! That means my 66 c-10 was built on my birthday! Ha! no kidding. Not the same year though. Where did you get that info?

yelmer 12-13-2011 07:32 PM

over the years of collecting i found a guy that had the info. i have it for all the plants i can tell what month a truck was built . not the day . on my 66 the build sheet says schedule build date 10-29-65 . but i think my truck was built in nov of 65 last truck made in oct is 114952 . each plant had used there own number system mikem

Rich 5150 69 12-13-2011 11:37 PM

Hey Yelmer how bout #159704 `64 model....chevy ...by the way do any of the crayon marks match up with an RPO...?

yelmer 12-13-2011 11:46 PM

i need to know what plant ?