The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how to remove the rear window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527108)

gmc1972 05-30-2012 04:06 PM

how to remove the rear window

hey guys I have a 72 gmc i need to remove the rear window and i dont want to break it is there any threads or can someone point me in the right direction thanks

LockDoc 05-30-2012 05:16 PM

Re: how to remove the rear window

:welcoem: to the board...

Does your rear window have the stainless trim around it? Quite a few of the guys and gals just cut the rubber around the glass and order a new Precison brand replacement rubber seal. If it has the trim you have to be careful which seal you get as there are two different ones.

I have taken them out without cutting the seal and re-used them but it is not the easiest thing to do.

LockDoc

special-K 05-30-2012 07:09 PM

It's like changing a bicycle tire. You do it from the inside with two flat & thin prying tools...like screw drivers or whatever. I start in a bottom corner.

farmall 05-31-2012 12:10 AM

I just did it at the junkyard with a putty knife and the Bic pens I found in the cab. Like Spec stated, the inside is what you work on. The lower corner was a real pain, but once it was freed, it all came out nice. I was able to save the gasket as it was more pliable than mine. It went in my flat bed just fine as well. Now to find a windshield.

mkmc69 05-31-2012 06:01 PM

Can you remove a windsheild using the same method, and still save the gasket?

69 gmc 05-31-2012 06:06 PM

Is there an existing thread for this? A link maybe? :confused:

shawno72 05-31-2012 06:11 PM

subscribed

LockDoc 05-31-2012 08:47 PM

-
I've used this method a few times. The rubber seal has to be fairly pliable and it has to be warm out. (or use a heat gun to warm up the rubber)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=210843

LockDoc

charlie diaz 05-31-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 5410655)
-
I've used this method a few times. The rubber seal has to be fairly pliable and it has to be warm out. (or use a heat gun to warm up the rubber)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=210843

LockDoc

This is a very true statement. I tried your method, and the rubber wasn't pliable at all. I ended up cracking the glass. It was already cracked anyways, I just didn't want to get glass everywhere.

As far as the black glass goes, it's really easy. I personally wouldn't worry about the seal because you should replace it anyways.

Just get a razor blade and cut the seal perpendicular to the window. Even though the seal is one piece, it will kind of tear out in layers. Once you get the outside layer off to where the window frame is exposed, you should be able to just give it a slight push and it will come right out.

farmall 06-01-2012 12:31 AM

Thanks for the windshield schooling Doc. I will try it.

LockDoc 06-01-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmall (Post 5411190)
Thanks for the windshield schooling Doc. I will try it.

No problem, hope it works for you. Anyone who tries it let us know if it works for you and if it doesn't, what the problem was... Thanks.

LockDoc

Jos 06-01-2012 11:02 AM

SUbscribed
Posted via Mobile Device

mr48chev 06-01-2012 11:26 AM

I've found that if the rubber is stiff and hard you may as well just cut it and be done with it. I'll try Loc Doc's method when I change windshields in the 71 as the rubber is only two years old.

elf w/capital T 06-01-2012 11:59 AM

i removed my rear window just two weeks ago, i took some time with removing the trim, started with the corners, took out the lh and rh trim and put some rope on the inside and little by little it popped out, UGH the rust plus old stiff rubber. not cool but hey its done.

gmc1972 06-04-2012 11:25 AM

thanks for all the tips im gonna try and remove mine tonight i was at two different shows over the weekend and only saw one gmc but a ton of chevys I cant wait to have mine done

rgunlock 08-01-2021 04:04 PM

Old thread, but it helped me out so thanks LockDoc!

On my 71, I used this method to remove both rear window and windshield without cutting the gaskets. My gaskets were pretty pliable (likely not original to the truck). I had an old Craftsman wet/dry vac I was tossing and cut the round power cord from it. Forced that behind the gasket from inside across the top and down the sides. You can actually force it far enough to go between the gasket and the top of the pinch weld lip, which holds the inside of the gasket away from the inside cab sheetmetal.

From there it was just a little persuasion with the flat of my hand to get an upper corner moving out. Might have to use your fingers right in the top corner of the gasket to help it start while pushing the glass with your other hand. After that, easy to get the rest of the top loose.

LockDoc 08-01-2021 08:41 PM

-
Wow! Glad it is still helping people. I have used that method on two or three other trucks since I posted it. I had one that had a lot of sealer used on it and it wouldn't work on it.

LockDoc

67swb72klb 08-01-2021 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These nylon sticks help a lot when pulling glass

Richard 08-01-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 5408340)
:welcoem: to the board...

Does your rear window have the stainless trim around it? Quite a few of the guys and gals just cut the rubber around the glass and order a new Precison brand replacement rubber seal. If it has the trim you have to be careful which seal you get as there are two different ones.

I have taken them out without cutting the seal and re-used them but it is not the easiest thing to do.

LockDoc

Pretty sure the rear window trim is the same on all the years. Would be good to confirm that for people reading. While everyone may not have access. Some good pump type glass suction cups are great on the inside when you are working the gasket in. Especially true if you are doing it yourself.

LockDoc 08-02-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 8952618)
Pretty sure the rear window trim is the same on all the years. Would be good to confirm that for people reading. While everyone may not have access. Some good pump type glass suction cups are great on the inside when you are working the gasket in. Especially true if you are doing it yourself.

My statement "two different ones" was referring to trim or no trim.... The rubber seals are different on the two, so you have to make sure you get the correct seal.

LockDoc

slikside 08-03-2021 07:42 PM

Sub'd. Good info!

k29349 08-03-2021 07:47 PM

I don't think trying to save the gasket is worth the risk of cracking the glass. I would not miss the opportunity to install newer rubber anytime I had glass out. I keep cars forever though.