The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sway bar on a 63 with a later model cross member (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822315)

Asshat 05-31-2021 03:52 PM

Sway bar on a 63 with a later model cross member

Installed the 74 C20 cross member, and the sway bar doesn’t bolt up right. It seems I would have to create a new mounting position. However, the stock sway bar from the 74 cross member is to short. It lines up with the mounting positions on the control arms, it’s the frame mounting positions that do not line up. It’s too short.

Is there an aftermarket sway bar that will fit?

cwcarpenter98 05-31-2021 11:26 PM

Re: Sway bar on a 63 with a later model cross member

2 Attachment(s)
Do you have factory frame stands for the sway bar on your 63? I didn't on mine, and when I added my sway bar from a late 70s 3/4 ton, I had to bolt the bar on with the suspension on the ground to get it done

Asshat 05-31-2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8927223)
Do you have factory frame stands for the sway bar on your 63? I didn't on mine, and when I added my sway bar from a late 70s 3/4 ton, I had to bolt the bar on with the suspension on the ground to get it done

Not sure what you mean?

I did have a sway bar on my63, it was smaller diameter, and I gave it away when I sold my old front cross member.

The one that came with the 74 cross member doesn’t fit because it isn’t long enough, front to back. It bolts up to the lower control arms, it just doesn’t come forward enough to mount to the frame where the old brackets were.

cwcarpenter98 05-31-2021 11:42 PM

Oh, I understand what you mean now. Sorry I'm no help as I haven't had that issue before

nsb29 06-01-2021 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don’t know how much to short you are but if it’s a small amount maybe you could move your frame stands. I took this route I think I got it through Summit, Much better design than the original set up no binding but you do have to drill new holes
Attachment 2105643

Asshat 06-01-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8927325)
Don’t know how much to short you are but if it’s a small amount maybe you could move your frame stands. I took this route I think I got it through Summit, Much better design than the original set up no binding but you do have to drill new holes
Attachment 2105643

What truck is this, early, like a 63?

Also, can you post a closeup of the mounting to the control arm? I can’t tell from the pic. Did you have to modify the control arm, drill holes in it?

SCOTI 06-01-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927477)
What truck is this, early, like a 63?

Also, can you post a closeup of the mounting to the control arm? I can’t tell from the pic. Did you have to modify the control arm, drill holes in it?

That is an aftermarket sway bar in his image. Some of them utilize the end-link attachment method like cars would have vs the factory method of shell/bushing bolted directly to the a-arm. They usually do require drilling extra holes for mounting.

Put the center of whatever sway bar you have on a jack. Mount each side to the a-arm. Raise the bar until the frame rail mounts contact the frame. Drill holes where necessary. Install hardware & tighten.

nsb29 06-01-2021 07:56 PM

Scoti pretty much summed it up you have to drill one hole in each A-frame and two in each frame rail no stands required the truck is a 65

Asshat 06-01-2021 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8927562)
That is an aftermarket sway bar in his image. Some of them utilize the end-link attachment method like cars would have vs the factory method of shell/bushing bolted directly to the a-arm. They usually do require drilling extra holes for mounting.

Put the center of whatever sway bar you have on a jack. Mount each side to the a-arm. Raise the bar until the frame rail mounts contact the frame. Drill holes where necessary. Install hardware & tighten.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8927612)
Scoti pretty much summed it up you have to drill one hole in each A-frame and two in each frame rail no stands required the truck is a 65

I don’t think so; it’s a good 4-1/2” too short from the original mounts. I can see making some holes to mount, however, it would then come too close to the idler and pitman arms.
Just not going to work.

nsb29 06-02-2021 09:05 AM

63/72 is the same 74/80 sum thing is the same all though I see where some of the aftermarket ones advertise 63/80 sum thing but they are a lot more money I would get an aftermarket one for 63/72 if you want I can get you measurements off mine

SCOTI 06-02-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927651)
I don’t think so; it’s a good 4-1/2” too short from the original mounts. I can see making some holes to mount, however, it would then come too close to the idler and pitman arms.
Just not going to work.

When the sway bar is being installed, the suspension needs to be compressed @ ride height (it's normal position). They way you are set-up in your images, it's extended.

Was the bar you pulled off & sold w/the previous suspension factory installed & similar to the unit you're installing w/the later model year x-member? I never knew 63's came w/sway bars but I suppose they could have.

Asshat 06-02-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8927813)
63/72 is the same 74/80 sum thing is the same all though I see where some of the aftermarket ones advertise 63/80 sum thing but they are a lot more money I would get an aftermarket one for 63/72 if you want I can get you measurements off mine

If you could get your measurements for the sway bar, I would appreciate it.

Mine is about 15” deep, 38” wide.

Asshat 06-02-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8927834)
When the sway bar is being installed, the suspension needs to be compressed @ ride height (it's normal position). They way you are set-up in your images, it's extended.

Was the bar you pulled off & sold w/the previous suspension factory installed & similar to the unit you're installing w/the later model year x-member? I never knew 63's came w/sway bars but I suppose they could have.

I tried installing it last night, with the truck sitting on the ground, not extended.

The 73 original cross member did have a sway bar. There are holes in the frame. That original sway bar was a smaller diameter. The one from the 74 cross member is 1”.

SCOTI 06-02-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927845)
I tried installing it last night, with the truck sitting on the ground, not extended.

I mentioned about the truck being on jack-stands the way it was in the images just to ensure you were aware that the actual installation should be done w/weight on the suspension if/when drilling any new holes.

Quote:

....Was the bar you pulled off & sold w/the previous suspension factory installed & similar to the unit you're installing w/the later model year x-member? I never knew 63's came w/sway bars but I suppose they could have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927845)
....The 73 original cross member did have a sway bar. There are holes in the frame. That original sway bar was a smaller diameter. The one from the 74 cross member is 1”.

My question is was that previous bar similar to the current bar you're trying to install?

Were the end link bushings the same style as the frame mounting bushings?
Were there frame stands that the bar mounted to or was the previous set-up (that you sold) bolted directly to the frame?

These 63-87 C10 trucks had the factory sway bars mounted to factory attached frame stands & used the same bushing arrangement @ the frame & control arm pivot points. We need to understand what you likely had vs. what you're trying to put in. Knowing that info might shed insight on the differences you're experiencing.

Asshat 06-02-2021 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8927884)
I mentioned about the truck being on jack-stands the way it was in the images just to ensure you were aware that the actual installation should be done w/weight on the suspension if/when drilling any new holes.

My question is was that previous bar similar to the current bar you're trying to install?

Were the end link bushings the same style as the frame mounting bushings?
Were there frame stands that the bar mounted to or was the previous set-up (that you sold) bolted directly to the frame?

These 63-87 C10 trucks had the factory sway bars mounted to factory attached frame stands & used the same bushing arrangement @ the frame & control arm pivot points. We need to understand what you likely had vs. what you're trying to put in. Knowing that info might shed insight on the differences you're experiencing.

Looked at some old photos, appears it was mounted to a raised standoff, and more forward, on a bracket-plate. This is the only picture I could find.

Guess I will have to look for an aftermarket sway bar.

nsb29 06-02-2021 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2105909
This is as close as I can measure I cold be off a inch

Paul Y 06-02-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927229)
Not sure what you mean?

I did have a sway bar on my63, it was smaller diameter, and I gave it away when I sold my old front cross member.

The one that came with the 74 cross member doesn’t fit because it isn’t long enough, front to back. It bolts up to the lower control arms, it just doesn’t come forward enough to mount to the frame where the old brackets were.

Make new brackets?

Just a thought....

P. :D

Asshat 06-02-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Y (Post 8927992)
Make new brackets?

Just a thought....

P. :D

I don’t think I need to make new brackets, the brackets I have should work fine.

Maybe I can get a steel rod and extend each leg a few inches. Cheaper to buy steel rod and weld it on, rather than buy a whole new sway bar.

SCOTI 06-02-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8927915)
Looked at some old photos, appears it was mounted to a raised standoff, and more forward, on a bracket-plate. This is the only picture I could find.

Guess I will have to look for an aftermarket sway bar.

Definitely utilized different a-arm mounting.

The options are drill new holes in the frame to use the 74 model bar or spend the money to purchase an aftermarket set-up.

Asshat 06-02-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8928026)
Definitely utilized different a-arm mounting.

The options are drill new holes in the frame to use the 74 model bar or spend the money to purchase an aftermarket set-up.

Can’t use the existing 74 bar unless I weld on a 5” extension. I think the bar would be too close to the pitman arm and idler arm.

SCOTI 06-02-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8928037)
Can’t use the existing 74 bar unless I weld on a 5” extension. I think the bar would be too close to the pitman arm and idler arm.

Only way to know is put the a-arm mounts in place. Put the frame rail bushings/mounts on the bar approximately where they would pivot when installed. Loosely attach the frame stands to the frame pivot bushings & jack the bar up into place until the frame stands make contact.

Check clearances so you're not 'guessing'. If anything makes contact before the frame stands contact the rail/s, you have your answer.

Buying an aftermarket set-up may be the easy button or it could lead to additional frustration if the bars 'arms' are not long enough. I know from experience searching various sway bar criteria, not all manufacturers offer the dimensions to help make an informed decision. They usually will just offer that "it's intended to work on 6X-8X year model" truck.

AcampoDave 06-02-2021 06:50 PM

Could the sway bar be upside down?

Asshat 06-02-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8928045)
Could the sway bar be upside down?

Turning it over doesn’t make it any longer. I thought about that too; it just changed the angle where it mounts to the control arms.

Asshat 06-02-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8928039)
Only way to know is put the a-arm mounts in place. Put the frame rail bushings/mounts on the bar approximately where they would pivot when installed. Loosely attach the frame stands to the frame pivot bushings & jack the bar up into place until the frame stands make contact.

Check clearances so you're not 'guessing'. If anything makes contact before the frame stands contact the rail/s, you have your answer.

Buying an aftermarket set-up may be the easy button or it could lead to additional frustration if the bars 'arms' are not long enough. I know from experience searching various sway bar criteria, not all manufacturers offer the dimensions to help make an informed decision. They usually will just offer that "it's intended to work on 6X-8X year model" truck.

That’s what the picture showed from the other day. I had the brackets mounted at the control arms with the sway bar up on a jack stand.

SCOTI 06-02-2021 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8928051)
That’s what the picture showed from the other day. I had the brackets mounted at the control arms with the sway bar up on a jack stand.

Yes, you did.

You also did not have the frame stands in place. They would space the bar out slightly away from the frame possibly preventing clearance issues.