The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I bounced a check. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824339)

FleetsidePaul 07-31-2021 12:49 AM

I bounced a check.

You heard right. I wrote a check and it bounced like a basketball.

I bought a car. I wrote a check for it and told the guy (I know him) to hold it until the money gets transferred from my other account. Probably 3 to 4 business days. Don't ask me why it takes that long but it does. I've done it before. I'm basically at the mercy of the banks and they are in no hurry.

So... He tells me "no problem'. He will hold the check until I call and give him the green light.

Then I get nastygrams from my bank telling me that I have no money in my checking account. Sure enough, the check was deposited the same day despite me making it very clear that I had to transfer the funds.

Apparently one of the partners at the dealer neglected to tell the other that the check was on a hold and the other guy went and deposited it that day.

They were very apologetic for screwing up my checking account. And said that they would pay any fees that I incurred. It was only 35 bucks so I told them to buy me a beer the next time I saw them and we'd call it good.

It was just alarming to see my account in the red...Way in the red. But it's all good now.

mongocanfly 07-31-2021 01:37 AM

Re: I bounced a check.

That sure sucks...i had multiple checking accounts yrs ago...I did that once, because I wasnt paying attention and wrote a check on the wrong account..never no more...I got rid of the other accounts and only have 1 now..
Embarrassing more than anything ...cause you know you got the $$$..

Mongo 07-31-2021 12:02 PM

That is the very reason I have learned to post date a check. I have been burnt too many times(three to be exact) Glad it all worked out for you.

FleetsidePaul 07-31-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 8951914)
That is the very reason I have learned to post date a check. I have been burnt too many times(three to be exact) Glad it all worked out for you.

I should have post dated it but I've dealt with this guy before. I bought my Jeep from him exactly the same way and it went through without a hitch.

This was just a case of one hand not knowing what the other one was doing.

Blue GMC 07-31-2021 12:35 PM

The real question is what vehicle did you get?

LT7A 07-31-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8951927)
I should have post dated it but I've dealt with this guy before. I bought my Jeep from him exactly the same way and it went through without a hitch.

This was just a case of one hand not knowing what the other one was doing.

Sorry to hear that your Jeep came without a hitch.

FleetsidePaul 07-31-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue GMC (Post 8951934)
The real question is what vehicle did you get?

I don't know if I should say here. It's the F word. :lol:

FleetsidePaul 07-31-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8951944)
Sorry to hear that your Jeep came without a hitch.

:lol::lol: Bad choice of words. The Jeep has a hitch.

LT7A 07-31-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8951954)
:lol::lol: Bad choice of words. The Jeep has a hitch.

;) Reminds me of asking people "how did the wedding go?" And they reply "it went off without a hitch."
"Well...uh, sorry to hear that."

Ziegelsteinfaust 07-31-2021 01:40 PM

Be glad your not in the military.

When I was on deployment a guys wife wrote a series of bad checks to get him kicked out because she was sick of him being gone.

From what I remember 3 is the magic number of checks bounced to get a discharge.

Rumor had it he told her to do it, but he played dumb.

truckster 07-31-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8951951)
I don't know if I should say here. It's the F word. :lol:

Ferraris are expensive to maintain, but you should have a lot of fun with it.

Or did you mean Freightliner?

best view 07-31-2021 09:16 PM

U would think with that many posts u would know better to admit that

lil hoodlum 07-31-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8951990)
Ferraris are expensive to maintain, but you should have a lot of fun with it.

Or did you mean Freightliner?

I was thinking a little Fiat spyder or something....

57taskforce 08-01-2021 12:08 AM

Another Fiat huh? :lol:

FleetsidePaul 08-01-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8952201)
Another Fiat huh? :lol:

No. Not a Fiat. That was my wife's thing.

It's a red 02 Thunderbird. This is a pic off the net. I still can't get my new overpriced iphone to communicate with my computer to post pic's. But it looks exactly
like this one.

My wife says it's a grandpa car... So what? I am a grandpa.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/.../T_Bird_10.jpg

special-K 08-01-2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8951784)

Stop bragging. I have you beat. I'm amazed the check I wrote last week didn't bounce! First one in months. Must be something wrong with the system :lol:

LONGHAIR 08-01-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 8951914)

Although it varies by state, there are some weird laws about post dating checks. Technically it is not illegal, unless it can be proven that the intent was to deceive. Since this is not the case here, it's a non-issue. But, as Paul found out, neither the recipient nor the bank is obligated to honor that date. The "weird" part comes from the actual funds. If you do this with the required funds in the account, it's all good. If not however, it is actually fraud. In this instance, it was just a mistake and no one seems to care, but it's still not a good idea.
In this day and age though, you would think that banks could move a little faster? But, as noted, they don't care. If anything, they probably profit from the money being in limbo.
Couldn't you have just transferred the money at an ATM? Then even if the guy had deposited it the same day, the money would have been there, since banks account for all deposits before debits.

Speaking of...I was just in the bank I use the other day, but it was a different branch than normal. It did not have any tellers or even a teller line. All they have are the little cubicles for personal meetings. Everything else is done by this over-grown looking ATM. You can actually withdraw as much as 3k, right from the machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8952210)
No. Not a Fiat. That was my wife's thing.

It's a red 02 Thunderbird. This is a pic off the net. I still can't get my new overpriced iphone to communicate with my computer to post pic's. But it looks exactly
like this one.

My wife says it's a grandpa car... So what? I am a grandpa.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/.../T_Bird_10.jpg

I just saw one of those yesterday. It has been at least a couple of years since I have seen one in the wild. It was that champagne color, whatever Ford calls it?

old51sedan 08-01-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8951784)

I bought a car. I wrote a check for it and told the guy (I know him) to hold it until the money gets transferred from my other account. Probably 3 to 4 business days. Don't ask me why it takes that long but it does. I've done it before. I'm basically at the mercy of the banks and they are in no hurry.

So... He tells me "no problem'. He will hold the check until I call and give him the green light.

Then I get nastygrams from my bank telling me that I have no money in my checking account. Sure enough, the check was deposited the same day despite me making it very clear that I had to transfer the funds.

Apparently one of the partners at the dealer neglected to tell the other that the check was on a hold and the other guy went and deposited it that day.

They were very apologetic for screwing up my checking account. And said that they would pay any fees that I incurred. It was only 35 bucks so I told them to buy me a beer the next time I saw them and we'd call it good.

It was just alarming to see my account in the red...Way in the red. But it's all good now.

Everybody is different in how they do their banking, some use banks, others credit unions. I don't believe there is much difference. I use a CU and do most all my banking on line, I might go to the CU once or twice a year. I have almost everything direct deposited and I pay all my bills on line. I do write a few checks, but not many, but if I'm in this type of situation I just go into my account and transfer money from savings to checking, just a matter of pushing a few buttons. Happens in minutes, not days. I've never owned a credit card, but do have a debit card which I use for most purchases and I can get extra spending money at most stores so I've never used a ATM machine. This all works for me, but may not for someone else. I do like the T-Bird by the way.

Blue GMC 08-01-2021 09:35 AM

I always liked those and have come close to buying a few over the years as my wife would drive it as well. Plus it’s a whole lot more affordable then the 69 firebird conv that she really wants for an open top driver.

lousyflyer 08-01-2021 01:09 PM

Funny thing about checks - You can write one on a napkin as long as it has a check number, date, and account information and the banks will honor it. I was told this by an accountant back in the 80s.

FleetsidePaul 08-01-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8952251)
Although it varies by state, there are some weird laws about post dating checks. Technically it is not illegal, unless it can be proven that the intent was to deceive. Since this is not the case here, it's a non-issue. But, as Paul found out, neither the recipient nor the bank is obligated to honor that date. The "weird" part comes from the actual funds. If you do this with the required funds in the account, it's all good. If not however, it is actually fraud. In this instance, it was just a mistake and no one seems to care, but it's still not a good idea.
In this day and age though, you would think that banks could move a little faster? But, as noted, they don't care. If anything, they probably profit from the money being in limbo.
Couldn't you have just transferred the money at an ATM? Then even if the guy had deposited it the same day, the money would have been there, since banks account for all deposits before debits.

Speaking of...I was just in the bank I use the other day, but it was a different branch than normal. It did not have any tellers or even a teller line. All they have are the little cubicles for personal meetings. Everything else is done by this over-grown looking ATM. You can actually withdraw as much as 3k, right from the machine.

I just saw one of those yesterday. It has been at least a couple of years since I have seen one in the wild. It was that champagne color, whatever Ford calls it?

I do believe that the banks profit by being so slow. Why else? Why can I buy something online and instantly pay and Bank of America and Wells Fargo can't transfer the money instantly? I'm sure that they do it all the time.

I'll bet it's been a while since you saw one of these T Birds. It's been years since I've seen one myself. That's what I like about it. I like unusual cars. Something that you don't see everyday. I collect weird stuff. And it's comfortable. Not fast but not too slow either. It suits me. None of the new gadgets. Just a CD player. My only complaint is that for a large car it has no room. 2 seats and the trunk is a joke. The convertible top takes up a lot of the space. I won't be taking it to the supermarket anytime soon.

I can see why they didn't sell well. They are underpowered, debatable styling, and a hefty price tag when new.(19 years later and it still wasn't cheap) but it's only got 45K on the odometer. Always garaged. It's like new. :)

My Corvette's are still better. ;)

57taskforce 08-01-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8952340)
I do believe that the banks profit by being so slow. Why else? Why can I buy something online and instantly pay and Bank of America and Wells Fargo can't transfer the money instantly? I'm sure that they do it all the time.

I'll bet it's been a while since you saw one of these T Birds. It's been years since I've seen one myself. That's what I like about it. I like unusual cars. Something that you don't see everyday. I collect weird stuff. And it's comfortable. Not fast but not too slow either. It suits me. None of the new gadgets. Just a CD player. My only complaint is that for a large car it has no room. 2 seats and the trunk is a joke. The convertible top takes up a lot of the space. I won't be taking it to the supermarket anytime soon.

I can see why they didn't sell well. They are underpowered, debatable styling, and a hefty price tag when new.(19 years later and it still wasn't cheap) but it's only got 45K on the odometer. Always garaged. It's like new. :)

My Corvette's are still better. ;)

Those T birds are pretty cool, Nice buy. I’ll only hold it against you a little bit for buying one of THOSE “F words”:lol:

I agree there’s no excuse for the way banks play games with transfers and checks; it’s bit me a few times in the last couple years. Really frustrating.

Stocker 08-01-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lousyflyer (Post 8952338)
Funny thing about checks - You can write one on a napkin as long as it has a check number, date, and account information and the banks will honor it. I was told this by an accountant back in the 80s.

Yup. I know a guy who used to work as a carpenter. Claims he once wrote a 'check' on a scrap of lumber. It was cashed and the bank processed it.

Boog 08-01-2021 04:23 PM

I like Birds too. My first car purchase was going to be a triple black 55 but that didn't work out. So I bought a truck. These newer ones aren't as stylish as the OG but I do like the 2 seater platform. I think these newer ones were 1st v6 powered weren't they? Later a 4. something v8 was offered? I still find them running around here. A triple black one comes by quite often too. ;)
Ahem. Where was I.
I can say in the years I worked at the bank no one ever presented anything but a real check to me. Heck, back then we still used counter checks too.

FleetsidePaul 08-01-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8952416)
I like Birds too. My first car purchase was going to be a triple black 55 but that didn't work out. So I bought a truck. These newer ones aren't as stylish as the OG but I do like the 2 seater platform. I think these newer ones were 1st v6 powered weren't they? Later a 4. something v8 was offered? I still find them running around here. A triple black one comes by quite often too. ;)
Ahem. Where was I.

They were all V8's. A 3.9 with a whopping 250 HP.:lol: The later ones got a little more HP. Not much. For the price Ford was charging they should have put a 5.0 in them. They only made them from 2002 to 2005 and didn't sell too many.

When I was a kid we had a blue 55 and a red 56 T Bird. They looked cooler than the retro one but this is way more comfortable.

I have a older friend that I drive around from time to time because he doesn't drive anymore. He loves the T Bird because he had trouble getting in and out of my Corvette and won't ride in the hearse. :lol: