The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Coolant line through throttle body (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=412761)

Jim_PA 07-20-2010 09:59 AM

Coolant line through throttle body

How are you eliminating it?

I've been told you can't just cap the line and you need to bypass the throttle body and plumb it in somewhere else.

Let me know what you're all doing.

Thanks

glock35ipsc 07-20-2010 10:44 AM

Re: Coolant line through throttle body

A hose barb. Clamp, then disconnect the hoses from each side, then connect together with a hose barb and clamps. You don't have to bypass the TB though. It is suppose to help with cold starts by heating the incoming air. How much good it does or not, or how much power is gained by eliminating the heat, I don't know. Mine is still hooked up, although I will probably do away with it and completely grind the fittings off of the TB some day.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...d47c5f_300.jpg

That of course would be on an OEM type set-up. For a conversion, you can do a few different things. Starting a the steam pipe on the drivers head, you can just forget running it to the TB altogether an either 1] drill and tap the top of the water pump and run the hose there, 2] run the line to the radiator if yours has a nipple for a heater hose (most 67-72's and 73-91's did), or 3] use an adapter from Jags That Run and tie it in to the upper rad hose.

Tapping the water pump is the shortest and cleanest way to do it. I did mine like #2.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3186/dscn2329.jpg

#2 (right above MAF)
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...c/P1010627.jpg

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/ima...1-tee-2240.jpg

Jim_PA 07-20-2010 11:15 AM

Yeah, I bought an Entropy aluminum rad. before deciding to do an LS engine, so I ordered without any heater returns. They also could have sent me one with the upper hose switched to the pass. side to avoid the big snake of a hose, but hind-sight is always 20-20...

I like #1, but my water pump is already mounted and ready to go. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to drill/tap it with it already mounted in place, so the #3 is probably what I'll do --

Thanks for your detailed description! -

Critter 07-20-2010 11:31 AM

I've been reading up on this too. Just so I'm clear, the steam is running FROM the head TO the throttle body/water pump/radiator, etc. right? I'm just trying to understand these engines top to bottom, front to back...it isn't easy. ;)

glock35ipsc 07-20-2010 11:34 AM

If you are careful, you can drill it in place. Slop your drill bit, and the tap, in wheel bearing grease before starting. The grease will hold all the chips and prevent them from falling into the pump. And, with the o-ring sealing gasket, you are pretty safe to pull the pump to drill it on the bench if you want to. Mine has been off 3 or 4 times using the same original seal set, no leaks.

I like details. They say man is a very visual creature! :haha:

glock35ipsc 07-20-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter (Post 4097962)
I've been reading up on this too. Just so I'm clear, the steam is running FROM the head TO the throttle body/water pump/radiator, etc. right? I'm just trying to understand these engines top to bottom, front to back...it isn't easy. ;)

Correct. This line is there to prevent air from becoming trapped in the highest part of the engine with no where to go, hence the term "steam line".

Jim_PA 07-20-2010 11:36 AM

Ok, so how about this: (it would send it into the heater hose...)
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-26166-47112.aspx

Decisions, decisions...

glock35ipsc 07-20-2010 12:06 PM

Off the top of my head, I don't see why not. I would probably want to run it as high as possible in the system though, which would put it up near the firewall.

63chevyll 07-20-2010 12:12 PM

thats good to know, i tried by passing on one of my toyotas and the throttle boddy needed the heat

glock35ipsc 07-20-2010 12:22 PM

I have bypassed on a couple other 5.3 and a 6.0 trucks that I've had before with no issues, so it can be done to these engines. They don't necessarily rely on the heat.

TR65 07-20-2010 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My steam line didn't go to the throttle body (2005 LS2). The Chevy book on LS swaps says the line should go to the highest point in the coolant system. I drilled a hole in the radiator and used an AN bulkhead fitting and a washer with an o-ring molded into it to attach the line.

It is interesting that with the line that way I could completely fill the radiator on the initial fill. Air kept bubbling out of that fitting in the radiator until the engine was full.

TR

Jim_PA 07-20-2010 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the options. Keep it high! --

chevydog66 07-25-2010 10:20 PM

Is this absolutely necessary? I have a 01 6.0 LQ4.

68GMCCustom 07-25-2010 11:25 PM

I believe so

glock35ipsc 07-26-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevydog66 (Post 4107104)
Is this absolutely necessary? I have a 01 6.0 LQ4.

To run it through the throttle body? No.

To run it back into a high part of the cooling system? Absolutely.

eagleuh1 07-26-2010 07:18 PM

I JB welded a ribbed tubing fitting into one of those heater hose flush and fill Tee screw on caps and put it in my heater hose. Over 2 years and no problems. Cheap temporary fix that I forgot to replace.

chevydog66 07-26-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 4098525)
My steam line didn't go to the throttle body (2005 LS2). The Chevy book on LS swaps says the line should go to the highest point in the coolant system. I drilled a hole in the radiator and used an AN bulkhead fitting and a washer with an o-ring molded into it to attach the line.

It is interesting that with the line that way I could completely fill the radiator on the initial fill. Air kept bubbling out of that fitting in the radiator until the engine was full.

TR

Where did you get the book on LS swaps, and who is the publisher?

chevydog66 07-26-2010 11:42 PM

never mind, googled it and found it.

85burb 07-27-2010 09:32 AM

My 07 4.8 has it going strait to where the old school heater hose dump is in side of the rad tank. I guess if coolant circulates threw it it is ok. Cause that is not the hightest place by far.

glock35ipsc 07-27-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85burb (Post 4109351)
My 07 4.8 has it going strait to where the old school heater hose dump is in side of the rad tank. I guess if coolant circulates threw it it is ok. Cause that is not the hightest place by far.

And that is a great (and convenient) place to run it to in these trucks, also the 67-72's, that have that nipple on the radiator tank. Even on the 100° + days here, the hottest I have seen mine get is 198°.

I think the TBSS has the steam hose running to a "T" into one of the heater hoses.

One thing that will alleviate any problems is to jack up the front of the truck while filing the cooling system to help prevent any air pockets from forming during filling.

68GMCCustom 07-27-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 4109412)
And that is a great (and convenient)
I think the TBSS has the steam hose running to a "T" into one of the heater hoses.

I'll try to remember and check ours tonight...