The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Date this VIN and SPID? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826091)

georgieb51 09-22-2021 09:09 AM

Date this VIN and SPID?

Can anyone give me the date of this truck from the VIN and SPID? I know it is 69 or 70 but cannot pin it down to either one. I bought this cab a few months ago and just this morning realized this is a cab from an original shortbed 4x4. And in NY I can readily get a title for it, but I need to know the year. And now all of a sudden this cab has become a bit more valuable since you could theoretically build a truck around it with three pieces of ID once I get a title. Thank you all.

georgieb51 09-22-2021 09:13 AM

Re: Date this VIN and SPID?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgieb51 (Post 8974461)
Can anyone give me the date of this truck from the VIN and SPID? I know it is 69 or 70 but cannot pin it down to either one. I bought this cab a few months ago and just this morning realized this is a cab from an original shortbed 4x4. And in NY I can readily get a title for it, but I need to know the year. And now all of a sudden this cab has become a bit more valuable since you could theoretically build a truck around it with three pieces of ID once I get a title. Thank you all.

I forgot to include the photo.

72c20customcamper 09-22-2021 09:18 AM

Curious as to how you would get a title in NY for it ? Since they dont issue titles for pre 73 vehicles all mine are on transferable registrations . Which are fairly easy to get even with lost paperwork .

geunther 09-22-2021 09:44 AM

1970. The "0" before the Z.

mkmc69 09-22-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 8974500)

I agree. The year goes by the fifth character in the VIN.

georgieb51 09-22-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8974469)
Curious as to how you would get a title in NY for it ? Since they dont issue titles for pre 73 vehicles all mine are on transferable registrations . Which are fairly easy to get even with lost paperwork .

As you know the word "title" equals a "transferable registration" in NYS. I once bought a truck from California without a title/pink slip and waited two years for the PO to get me a title. (He never had a title either-- the PO was dead).So I finally went to NY DMV and explained my predicament. They asked me one question? "Have you owned it for more than one year"? I had, and they handed me a form which I filled out along with a photo of the VIN tag. I got a transferable title within a month. I cannot remember the form but I at least know there is a process for such things in NYS. Once in awhile I find myself glad to live in NY.

georgieb51 09-22-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 8974500)
1970. The "0" before the Z.

Thank you! After I placed this question I remembered to look on the drivers door and amazingly enough found the original build date on a tag on the door. Most are painted over by now. But your formula is a guaranteed date.

57taskforce 09-22-2021 04:10 PM

You can likely get a rough idea of production date here. Just look up the closest numerical match to last 8 of your vin in this list.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=815033

Edit: it was likely built 6/70.

jocko 09-22-2021 07:55 PM

The door sticker only tells you when it was physically assembled - essentially unrelated to model year for titling purposes (though you'd have a 66% chance of it being right...) (in other words, (very) approximately 1/3 of the 1970 trucks were built in Sep-Dec 1969).
For what you're discussing, only the VIN year matters (1970 as mentioned above).

If you just want to know when it was physically built, the door sticker gives you "to the month" detail; Tyler's link above may help narrow it down further depending on how much data has been stuffed in surrounding that month.

georgieb51 09-22-2021 08:13 PM

Thanks Jocko. I find all this information very interesting. I grew up in a time when the new models came out in September and I miss that time of anticipation even when I was just a kid

72c20customcamper 09-22-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgieb51 (Post 8974648)
As you know the word "title" equals a "transferable registration" in NYS. I once bought a truck from California without a title/pink slip and waited two years for the PO to get me a title. (He never had a title either-- the PO was dead).So I finally went to NY DMV and explained my predicament. They asked me one question? "Have you owned it for more than one year"? I had, and they handed me a form which I filled out along with a photo of the VIN tag. I got a transferable title within a month. I cannot remember the form but I at least know there is a process for such things in NYS. Once in awhile I find myself glad to live in NY.

That's what I thought, I've sold cars and people dont believe there is no title just the registration.

I did the same with my 68 Golden was an ez process .

special-K 09-24-2021 06:06 AM

Wasn't '70 the first year for the single plaque on the door jamb, even if you didn't have the digit breakdown?

georgieb51 09-24-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8975483)
Wasn't '70 the first year for the single plaque on the door jamb, even if you didn't have the digit breakdown?

That could be a determining factor too. Thanks Tim. See you at Fall Carlisle?