The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Vintage Air Top Mount Squeal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792112)

cebra 08-19-2019 03:02 PM

Vintage Air Top Mount Squeal

Anyone have a VA LS top mount and have squealing issues (or not)? I drove the vehicle for a long time before putting on the VA bracket/compressor and never heard any squeals/chirps. Now it does it a lot, I installed a shim they provide and it still does it every now and then. The compressor bracket is 1 groove wider than the accessories and it jumps grooves making the chirp. Guess I need to shim it more but I will have to call VA or make a new shim myself.

MDPotter 08-19-2019 04:53 PM

Re: Vintage Air Top Mount Squeal

My dad's has a chirp too. We had a shop charge the system and they tried shimming it to try and get it to stop but couldn't. I have no way to confirm that it didn't chirp before, but we didn't change anything on the accessory drive other than the high mount compressor.

cebra 08-19-2019 04:55 PM

Thanks for the input, seems it may be an issue with this mount/compressor setup.

MDPotter 08-19-2019 05:08 PM

It might be, I won't be surprised if others have the same issue. I'm considering a low-mount option on mine just for that reason. I like that it's up high and easy to access, but the number of pulleys and shims and spacers and the squeal turn me off. If I have enough room down low, I'm considering a dirty dingo mount or the mount listed on VA's website. Low mount is cool because it runs off a different set of grooves on the crankshaft, rather than tagging onto the rest of the accessories.

prodjay10 08-19-2019 07:17 PM

Can you remove a low mount compressor without having to move the whole motor?

prodjay10 08-19-2019 07:46 PM

Maybe a mount like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alan-Grove-...wDApaYQTk#rwid

sprint_9 08-19-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8578820)
Can you remove a low mount compressor without having to move the whole motor?

I cant speak for the low mounts discussed in this post but the Holley low mount I have will allow for the compressor to go out the bottom. It will be a major pain but it will come out.

The chirp your describing is belt noise I assume? If so what condition is your tensioner pulley in, and where do the marks line up on it?

87chevy.com 08-19-2019 10:39 PM

I built my entire front end accessory bracket system with a strait edge black and decker level and harbor frieght dial caliper and no squeaks at all.

https://imageshack.us/a/img923/6343/WQTHU9.jpg

From my experience in getting alignment down, put a long stait level against the crank pullley and attach it with a quick squeeze clamp. This allows you to use your hands. Crank pulley won't spin...
Then it's the dial caliper to the rescue.

No need to guess... measure from strait edge to the first groove in the balancer..
Then go and measure the the distance from the same edge to the compressor groove that your using/fits best and shim accordingly.

Something you could check... if you rev the engine and the brackets flex.. as in you can see it flex, that's an issue. Not likely, but something you could visually see for free.

cebra 08-20-2019 08:24 AM

I would rather not go with a low mount if I can avoid it as I want easy access to the compressor since I put so many miles on the truck. I also would have to change a lot of things, pull motor, remove DD mounts, etc. I don't like the looks of the low mount either.

I may end up doing that 87chevy but I don't have most of those tools and I hate to have to reinvent the wheel when I paid $270 for the top mount bracket. On a side note, the tensioner on the new bracket feels weak...it is very easy to move and with a 10 foot belt on it, I could see it slipping easy.

I am going to call VA again today, is there another top mount on the market? I may try something else and try to get a refund from VA.

MDPotter 08-20-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8578836)

That appears to be the same mount that VA lists on their website. I scrolled down on that page and Alan Grove has a high mount option too, but it looks a lot like what I'm guessing cebra has (Kwik from VA). The difference I see between Alan Grove's top mount and Kwik's is that Alan Grove doesn't have an idler, just a tensioner whereas Kwik adds an idler and tensioner.

cebra 08-20-2019 10:06 AM

Thanks, at least there is an option. I am going to call VA and see if they will send me more shims. Then I may try to remove the idler and just run tensioner and a shorter belt on the Kwik. As a last resort, going to ditch the Kwik mount and go with another high mount. The tensioner on the Kwik is suspect to me...I can move it by hand which no way could I do on the stock LS tensioner.

87chevy.com 08-20-2019 11:19 AM

Does the tensioner have wear Mark's casted on the body? It's like 3 marks.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/images/belts5.gif
Maybe belt is too short?

cebra 08-20-2019 11:26 AM

I will check that about the tensioner marks. I got the belt from VA's recommendation. I just talked to Kwik and the guy there was super nice and helpful. He is sending me a document on tips to resolve squeaks and chirps. Since my belt is jumping track he said that is a rare issue but does happen occasionally . He said to put 4x 3/8" washers between the brackets and head/water pump to move the bracket out and keep the belt in the back set of compressor grooves. I will give this a whirl when I get some time and post the document on the chirps/squeak resolution.

prodjay10 08-20-2019 08:55 PM

I wonder if this one is any better. I was thinking of getting this one for my swap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanden-508-...rd!85213!US!-1

cebra 08-21-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8579430)
I wonder if this one is any better. I was thinking of getting this one for my swap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanden-508-...rd!85213!US!-1

Ooh, I didn't see this one...I have really had great experience with ICT billets parts and the prices are really good for the quality I think. I am going to try one more of Kwik's proposed fixes and if that doesn't work I am sending it back to VA to get a refund and go with this bracket. Kwik has been super helpful so I hate to do that but I shouldn't have to go through trial and error on a $250 bracket.

MDPotter 08-23-2019 11:50 AM

Let us know how it goes! I'd like to look at what they sent you so we can try it on my dad's setup.

cebra 08-23-2019 12:01 PM

He didn't send me the document as this is a new bracket that is supposed to resolve the issues on the prior version and is not applicable. I have been on the phone with them near daily and I think 87Chevy has identified the issue, the belt appears too loose. I purchased a shorter belt and will post if this resolves the issue once I receive it. The fixes on the prior version were to shim with 3/8" washers in the 4 places it bolts to the head/water pump if it is jumping track on the compressor (from back to front). Will post part number on the belt if it fixes my issue.

prodjay10 08-25-2019 03:11 PM

Did the shorter belt fix this?
Posted via Mobile Device

04ls1gto 08-27-2019 09:38 AM

My vintage air AC bracket is constantly out of adjustment and makes noise. Drives me crazy. Definitely looking for a better option or fix

cebra 08-27-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8581894)
Did the shorter belt fix this?
Posted via Mobile Device

It should arrive in the mail today (Rock Auto was $9, Autozone was $50). I should have time by the end of the week to install and will update.

prodjay10 08-27-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8583041)
My vintage air AC bracket is constantly out of adjustment and makes noise. Drives me crazy. Definitely looking for a better option or fix

When out of adjustment, what do you do to fix it?

04ls1gto 08-27-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8583148)
When out of adjustment, what do you do to fix it?

Start by swearing at it, then loosen bolts and cock compressor in bracket. It usually fills pulley grooves with junk so that has to get cleaned out. They should come up with a better bracket solution. Nothing like pulling in to car show with belt screaming

87chevy.com 08-27-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8583175)
Start by swearing at it, then loosen bolts and cock compressor in bracket. It usually fills pulley grooves with junk so that has to get cleaned out. They should come up with a better bracket solution. Nothing like pulling in to car show with belt screaming

Terrible advice. Identify the problem and fix. Or the parts at it and complain more

cebra 08-28-2019 08:50 AM

Belt squeal issue resolved: I removed the tensioner shim and put in a shorter belt that Kwik recommended after calling. The part number is Gates K061115 and it 1" shorter than what they recommended in the instructions. My tensioner on the previous belt was completely released and the belt wasn't very tight, this one I had to pry the belt on to the tensioner with a screwdriver when installing.

04ls1gto 08-28-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebra (Post 8583590)
Belt squeal issue resolved: I removed the tensioner shim and put in a shorter belt that Kwik recommended after calling. The part number is Gates K061115 and it 1" shorter than what they recommended in the instructions. My tensioner on the previous belt was completely released and the belt wasn't very tight, this one I had to pry the belt on to the tensioner with a screwdriver when installing.

I'll have to check tension on mine, sounds like they want it tight