The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Noisy fuel pump (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835325)

munter77 06-11-2022 08:36 PM

Noisy fuel pump

Any advice on an easy way to reduce the noise of an external fuel pump? Not thinking I should insulate it or it will get too hot.

truckster 06-11-2022 11:42 PM

Re: Noisy fuel pump

Rubber isolators can help reduce the noise quite a bit.

hemi43 06-12-2022 08:47 AM

Put it in the tank.

zammer 06-13-2022 04:08 PM

One reason your pump may be noisier then needed/designed is the suction fuel line may be too small and/or if your filter is too restrictive so it is cavitating. I had this issue with my self learning EFI fuel pump provided setup with the kit with an external fuel pump and it was mounted on the lowest point of my 2wd blazer frame which was level with the bottom of my fuel tank so it should have naturally had net positive suction head even with a low fuel level (with dip tube). I went from a 3/8 to 1/2 inch suction hose and a larger diameter filter to act as a reservoir. That with a higher micron filter to increase suction flow and the fuel pump you cannot hear anymore at all. The pump is mounted with a rubber clamp to the frame before and after the suction setup improvement btw. hope this helps troubleshoot the noise out a bit

munter77 06-13-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zammer (Post 9090477)
One reason your pump may be noisier then needed/designed is the suction fuel line may be too small and/or if your filter is too restrictive so it is cavitating. I had this issue with my self learning EFI fuel pump provided setup with the kit with an external fuel pump and it was mounted on the lowest point of my 2wd blazer frame which was level with the bottom of my fuel tank so it should have naturally had net positive suction head even with a low fuel level (with dip tube). I went from a 3/8 to 1/2 inch suction hose and a larger diameter filter to act as a reservoir. That with a higher micron filter to increase suction flow and the fuel pump you cannot hear anymore at all. The pump is mounted with a rubber clamp to the frame before and after the suction setup improvement btw. hope this helps troubleshoot the noise out a bit

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks a lot for the insight. I will take a look at line sizing and my filter.

zammer 06-13-2022 04:47 PM

You are welcome let us know how it comes out, good luck

zammer 06-05-2023 05:55 PM

Hey Munter77 how did you make out with your fuel pump issue?
Hopefully it was resolved, if so what did you find?