The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   06 chevy express codes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824695)

richard2717 08-11-2021 06:53 AM

06 chevy express codes

My van is at it again. It will throw code po430 after about 50 miles of driving and kick the check engine light on a short time after that the light will start flashing when it kicks the code for random misfire and will continue to flash in longer cycles. I have not noticed any reduction in power or rough idle. Only thing I have noticed is that my fuel mileage has dropped from 11 to 9 mpg.

Motor is a 6.0 and auto. Issue started right after I had the AC recharged and used it the 1st time. I have not used it since just trying to figure this out 1st.

I took it to a local shop the other day and they said I would need to take to dealer to figure it out. I suspect they just did not want to work on it.

Any ideas before I end up at the dealer?

Thanks
Richard

burnin oil 08-11-2021 09:00 AM

Re: 06 chevy express codes

Po430 is a cat efficiency code. A quick search says usual suspects are a bad cat or O2 sensor. I think I would check the plugs to see of you have a leaking injector then swap the o2 sensor if all looks good. Cheapest parts to more expensive.

kwmech 08-11-2021 10:14 AM

could be either sensor or actually a bad cat. (bank 2) You'll need voltage readings off of both sensors and possibly a laser temp gun

AussieinNC 08-11-2021 06:52 PM

Bank 2 is passenger side

Buy and change out both O2 sensors on that side....clear codes and drive for around 30 miles....

Nowadays, bad cats are pretty rare unless something strange has been happening with fuel...

Let us know the results...

:mm::mm::mm:

richard2717 08-14-2021 08:01 AM

Sorry guys, I did not get any notifications that anyone had responded. Been super busy this week and just threw the van in the shop to take a look at it today. I had a friend come over and throw his new Snap on scanner on and it is also throwing PO300 random misfire which he was able to confirm it was on cylinders 5 & 6. He also showed it is throwing a PO101 for the MAF and it is way out of range . The van has close to 190K on it now so I am going to go ahead and purchase all 8 coil packs, new MAF sensor and all 4 O2 sensors. The plugs & wires has less than 6k miles on them since I replaced them.

I am kinda stuck with fixing this one since I found out yesterday from the boom manufacturer that GM products are no longer authorized to run these booms after 2007 model year due to GM changing center of gravity and adding traction control to the vans. Only other option would be switching to a Ford which means all new mounting kit for the boom and engine driven pump or buying a whole new rig. A new rig is 90K (not happening) and to swap the boom, buy the mounting kit and purchase another van (with all cost associated with registering the van) make it a no brainer for me to just rebuild what i have including a new motor if need be. Even if I have to replace the cats, it appears rock auto has everything for about $800.

The eone thing I have not liked with this van since dy one is no cruise control but I found out I can add it for roughly $400 so that is going to happen as well once I get these gremlins in order.

richard2717 08-27-2021 06:54 AM

Well, so far I have changed 7 out of 8 coil packs (#1 cyl I have yet been able to reach from either direction) The MAF sensor and 3 out of 4 O2 sensors The forward o2 on passenger side is froze and won't budge. May end up replacing the entire cat pipe from manifold to muffler since rock auto shows them available. I took it for a 100 mile round trip and the only time the check engine light comes on now and flashes is when under load like leaving a light or going up hill. Only code it is throwing now if the PO300 random misfire.

truckdude239 09-01-2021 11:27 PM

Have the intake gaskets been done on this yet? Very common and will set a p030p

richard2717 09-02-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 8965584)
Have the intake gaskets been done on this yet? Very common and will set a p030p

The intake gasket has not been changed since I have owned the van. I will have to look into that as well.

Thanks

truckdude239 09-02-2021 02:12 PM

i would check that but you may very well have a cloged cat on bank 2

richard2717 09-22-2021 02:00 PM

I give up on the issues. It goes to the dealer tomorrow

richard2717 10-05-2021 07:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
man what an ordeal this has been and still not done. Took van to dealer they gave estimate of $2100 to replace just the right side cats. Said it could double if the lefts ended up being restricted as well but they would not know until after changing the right side. I had to decline the work at that cost. Brought van back home. Found exact cat setup on rock auto and bought left side, right side, stainless muffler & tailpipe including next day shipping for $1400. This was last Thursday, everything was supposed to be here Friday and I would have the weekend to get it all on. Friday comes and everything shows up except for the left side cats, grrr. Finally find out they missed the baltimore transfer and did not get to Salisbury station until late Friday. no huge deal yet since they were open Saturday 10-2 I just went over and picked it up. I get back to the shop get the old system removed. Pull all the cats out of the boxes only to discover that the factory put a right side cat system in the left cat boxing so now I am sitting here with 2 right side cat assemblies. Have you ever tried to "talk" to someone at Rock Auto? After going thru their automated return system I was finally able to at least come up with an email address for them to explain the situation in greater detail. Someone actually answered on Sunday saying the new part would ship yesterday next day air and sorry for the issue. I emailed back to see if they could open the new box to verify that the part they are sending me matches the picture on the website to which they replied the warehouse will not do that. So the new part is supposed to be here today with a 50/50 shot of being the correct part this time. Based on this picture I am surprised this thing actually ran at all. I am just hoping it takes care of the issues.

cwcarpenter98 10-05-2021 03:53 PM

Wow, that's a bummer on the part problem. I ran into the same type of issue when I replaced some A/C components on my Dakota. I got a box for the dryer that had clearly been tossed around, left on a shelf for ages, and covered in dirt. Opened to find that the part was no where near what I should have received. Tried to call, but got nothing. Emailed with a picture of what was in the box and got the correct part sent at no charge, but yeah, it was frustrating.

I hope that your issue will be fixed after replacing those cats! Sweep all that dust up and put it back in the old, then take to the scrap yard to try to recoup some of the new

richard2717 10-06-2021 04:37 PM

Well the correct parts finally showed up today & I just got them installed. Took van for a short drive but did not want to get caught in the rain if it did break down. Seemed to run pretty good with a lot more power. I will test it out better tomorrow, have to make a 70 mile round trip which normally sets it into crazy check engine mode.

kwmech 10-06-2021 09:00 PM

That's why you use a temp gun on the cat.

richard2717 10-08-2021 07:33 AM

Cats seem to have fixed the issue. just did a 250 mile round trip with no issues or lights. Even runs a little cooler on the temp gauge.

The Rocknrod 10-08-2021 09:28 AM

Ya I had a problem with a return at Rock Auto also. Not ever using them again. It's not like it used to be there. Not user friendly at all.

cwcarpenter98 10-08-2021 09:29 AM

:ennyd: Party time!

richard2717 10-08-2021 09:59 AM

For anyone that should need to contact Rock auto for issues the enail is service@rockauto.com they were pretty responsive once I obtained the address. I never found it on the website anywhere. I was doing a google search and came across it in a forum chat. even with everything shipping from 5 different warehouses it was still $3k cheaper than the dealer. I found out that these are made by magnaflow and on their site they were double the price of rock auto.