The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   Couple of questions on a 60[C-60 ]that is (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527624)

hugger6933 06-02-2012 10:04 PM

Couple of questions on a 60[C-60 ]that is

My truck is a hydro vac with the single line master. I want to change to the dual outlet m/c what do I do about the booster? Next is my tires and wheels. It has 5/10 lugs with 20's and I think 10.00 20 tires and some are dryrotted and missing chunks in places. I have a motorhome with 19.5 wheels and new tires they are 5/10 lugs as well. can you think of a reason [other than rear gear] not to use thse wheels on the truck. The tires are good and I won't be using the truck all that often but I need good tires and good brakes[don't we all?]Thanks Jim

Captainfab 06-03-2012 02:20 AM

Re: Couple of questions on a 60[C-60 ]that is

I've not dealt with converting a medium duty truck to a dual reservior master, but I am sure it can be done. It's been a long time since I have looked at mine, but I think you will have to convert to a firewall mounted booster behind the master as is done on the light duty trucks. I don't think you can run 2 circuits thru the original hydrovac. Does your C60 have a mechanical clutch or hydraulic?

As for the tires and wheels, I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago, but I never did confirm if the 10 hole 19.5's had the same hub hole and lug pattern as these older medium duty trucks. I have a neighbor that might have some 19.5 wheels. If I remember to, I'll see if he does, and I'll measure them. The 20" truck tires are getting hard to find, new or used.

hugger6933 06-03-2012 09:57 AM

Ok, the hydro vac may be out, does anyone have a reason why I can't or shoud'nt use a vac booster on the firewall to get my brakes? I know that a hydro boost is the best option here and I have one but I don't have a power steering pump and this truck is a 292 truck and those parts don't grow on trees, at least not the trees that grow here in Arkansas. If I found a power steering box for this truck I may be more inclined to look a little harder. I have a 80 model school bus that I used to store some junk in but I think the box has been robbed. This C60 has a mechanical cluctch [63 was the last year for that was'nt it] so the master part is not gonna be a big deal. I will take the spare off of my motorhme and see how close to fitting it will be. I belive tha the bolt patterns will be alike, now if the bolt holes are large enough and the center hole will work, well I'll let ya'll know when I find out. There was a post on the stovebolt site in the big bolt sectoin of a guy that put some on a 57 busand they looked fine and bolted perfect. I hope mine will too then I can try to use the chrome simulators that are on the MH.:metal:

Captainfab 06-04-2012 01:50 AM

There is no reason you can't convert to a firewall mounted brake booster. One of my booster brackets will bolt up just as it will to a pickup firewall. Then you can add a vacuum booster or a hydroboost without drilling any holes in the firewall.

My '63 C60 has a mechanical clutch, but there are a couple members here that have '66 C60's with hydraulic clutches. I have no idea why GM would have went back and forth between hydro and mechanical.

hugger6933 06-04-2012 07:41 AM

What model booster would a person use with your plates? Thanks for your help

hugger6933 06-04-2012 11:47 AM

My motorhome wheels will not fit the C60 the motorhome has a 10 lug pattern but a 51/8 inch center hole while the c60 has a 65/8 inch center hole. So those wheels are out

Captainfab 06-05-2012 01:15 AM

There are several boosters that it is designed to work with. Most of them are listed in the for sale thread. There is a link in my signature line \/ \/ \/

With my bracket, hydroboost is also an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 5416145)
What model booster would a person use with your plates? Thanks for your help