The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   1972 Highlander (Forum Truck) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=717458)

HeloCrewChief 09-11-2016 12:47 PM

1972 Highlander (Forum Truck)

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I've added yet another project to the stables. The first two pictures are what it looked like when I purchased it. I have way too much going on right now but, figured I might as well pile a little more on. For the sake of getting this somewhat done in a reasonable amount of time I will be performing a mild frame on restoration on this Blazer. Plans call for

-Fresh paint in the original olive color inside and out minus the dash and firewall
-All new trim and weatherstripping
-New inner fenders
-Repair minor rust that is left on the doors
-Pull engine out of for detailing and minor refresh
-2" lift and wire wheel/detail chassis
-red head steering box
-rebuilt tilt steering column
- new tires
-New windshield and glass in top

Other than that the seats have been redone in their original highlander appearance (truckseats). Transmission and bulk of the rust repair was done by the previous owner. I call this the truck forum as forum member, praisegeetarman texted me at about 6:30am when the Blazer popped up for sale on the forum. He said if I didn't buy it, he would. I oddly enough purchase another project truck off the forum from praisegeetarman a few years back and that's how we met. Anyway, before I was halfway through my first cup of coffee I was on the phone making a deal with the owner johnbasler and secured a deal that morning.

I anxiously waited for the Blazer to arrive and pretty much had a game plan in mind for when it arrived. The blazer has a sticky lifter or worn cam lobe so, I will lip it along for now while its at the body shop and then pull the engine out for a mild rebuild detail this winter when I get it back. I stripped every piece of trim. weather stripping, emblem, inner fender and loaded her up to take to my paint guy. This should be a fairly easy one for him and he will only be correcting a few minor details before paint.

Overall I'm stoked to have such an original 72 Highlander with A/C. Really hope not to go to hog wild on it and have it read to cruise by next summer.

Here is my other long term build that takes up my other time:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=nailhead

HeloCrewChief 09-11-2016 12:49 PM

Re: 1972 Highlander (Forum Truck)

5 Attachment(s)
John (johnbasler) was great to deal with and its always a pleasure purchasing a truck from someone in the community.

DeadheadNM 09-11-2016 01:05 PM

Good buy! Im on board for the build. Nice "bucket" seat :)

SS Tim 09-11-2016 02:04 PM

What are your plans for mirrors? Being a YG8/Promo Package "C" it had the DF2 Stainless Camper mirrors as original.

HeloCrewChief 09-12-2016 10:51 PM

Thanks guys. I have a bunch of miles on that old "bucket seat" haha. I really want to keep the Blazer as original as possible but, man those mirrors are so big. Undecided what to do there.

gringoloco 09-22-2016 12:06 AM

Highlanders look good with the sport mirrors. Nice project! What size are the wheels?

ClassicStyle 09-22-2016 12:48 AM

My highlander came with the camper mirrors to.

They will not be going back on while I'am the owner haha.

Very cool truck, look forward to more pictures

DeadheadNM 10-29-2016 12:02 PM

Any updates?

HeloCrewChief 10-29-2016 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not too many. We started sanding here down for paint and found this on the passenger bedside. Looks like the project will be snowballing from here. Ordered up one bedside Through Classic Bow ties in Olympia.
Posted via Mobile Device

HeloCrewChief 10-29-2016 12:32 PM

Classic Heartbeat! Sorry. Jury is still out on a drivers bedside.
Posted via Mobile Device

IronCanine 10-31-2016 03:09 PM

Late to the party...but fully subbed!

HeloCrewChief 05-17-2020 08:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was talking to Pete today about my Highlander Blazer and decided to post a few minor updates. The project snowballed as they all do. Shortly after I started on this Blazer, I had several life changes. I got married, bought a new house, had a daughter, and started a new job. Anyway, my body/paint guy does this as side work. He is an electrician and enjoys doing 1 or 2 older vehicles on the side. I have used him twice before on a 70' K10 and a 68 Suburban. He does exceptional factory quality rocker and cab corner work. The further he dug into the Blazer, the more stuff he found he did not like. I wanted the Blazer to be rock solid inside and out with no hidden surprises. I'm picky. Anyway, I ordered full bedsides, tubs, body bushing mount kit, and bed floor from Wes at Classic Heartbeat in Olympia. The quality was awesome and the fit exceptional. I'm trying to keep a Day 2 vibe with this truck but, I decided the opportunity was there to church it up a little. I had the bottom of the bed floor panel and wheel tubs painted body color. I figure if I ever want to go more stock, I could easily shoot some flat black on those but, I could not go the other way. I found a perfect original tailgate and installed that. I also had the doors reskinned and one front fender cup patched. The rockers were replaced again along with partial floors and lower kick panel sections. The header panel is rust free and solid as is the cowl. I have all the interior pieces, trim, lenses, bumpers, NOS grille etc. ready to go. I also bought 15x6 steel wheels and had them powder coated white. I mounted 33x10.5 BFG AT's with P01 Hubcaps. With the slow down at my body guys work during the COVID situation, he has hammered out quite a bit of work. The inside has been painted and he says about another month before I have it back. I will be keeping the original paint on the dash and cowl since they are both very presentable. I'm undecided on adding a tach dash or not. When I get it home, I will be pulling the engine out for a full rebuild. The transmission was rebuilt just before I purchased it. Undecided on leaving it stock height or doing a 2" lift.

DeadheadNM 05-17-2020 09:13 AM

Updates when possible please

Ptjsk 05-17-2020 10:57 AM

Unfortunately, when you're a car guy (or in this case a truck guy), nothing seems to ever go as planned. There's absolutely no such thing as a quick freshen up! LOL! Don't ask me how I know...

It looks great though!

Pat

johnbasler 06-11-2020 10:00 AM

That is looking awesome - can't wait to see the finished product. Still surprised by the hidden damage. Will be sweet when done!

DeadheadNM 06-11-2020 10:09 AM

Oliver congrats on all those positive life changes - I have a 3.5 yo daughter and she's a ton of fun. Glad you were able to get back stateside.

HeloCrewChief 06-30-2020 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbasler (Post 8755681)
That is looking awesome - can't wait to see the finished product. Still surprised by the hidden damage. Will be sweet when done!

Thanks John. It was an old repair that actually held up well. We were surprised when we found it as well as you could not tell it was there. Oh well, part of the deal if you are going to be restoring these old cars and trucks. Inside is painted now.

Ol Blue K20 07-05-2020 10:18 AM

Looks good

C.I.Blazer 07-07-2020 07:52 AM

Looks great. Always fun to see someone getting back to a project.

I saw in another post you are looking for someone to transport a truck to Seattle. Are you in this area? I live about an hour north of Seattle and always looking for other local K5 owners.

IronCanine 07-07-2020 08:09 AM

Hesitant to post...because clearly I shut the party down after my last one. Congrats on everything...especially the progress. Everything looks very nice.

yote1234 07-07-2020 04:53 PM

kool. im watching..

HeloCrewChief 07-08-2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.I.Blazer (Post 8770133)
Looks great. Always fun to see someone getting back to a project.

I saw in another post you are looking for someone to transport a truck to Seattle. Are you in this area? I live about an hour north of Seattle and always looking for other local K5 owners.

I’m about 2 hours Southwest of you on Fox Island. I’ve met quite a few members in the area. You must be close to Mark. He is up that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

C.I.Blazer 07-08-2020 07:18 AM

Well from one islander (Camano Island) to another, nice to meet you. Maybe we can do so in person one day. Don't know who Mark is, but hope I can meet up with some others. I see that there is a swap meet in the spring that was cancelled. Will keep my eyes open for other local events.

HeloCrewChief 10-09-2020 09:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Doors and fenders are jammed and reinstalled. All gaps set. Testament to Wes at Classic Heartbeats parts. I got the door skins, bed floor, rockers, and bedsides from him. Everything fit together nicer than I thought it would. This was the last of the jambs that needed painted. Exterior is the last thing left to shoot. Getting close!

D.PASSMORE 10-09-2020 03:26 PM

Those gaps are dreams for most DYI folks. Testament to your P&B guy. Looking forward to more updates.