The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775577)

meatwagon83 04-17-2019 07:40 PM

Re: Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them

I always wanted a fiberglass one with no side windows for my crewcab dually, but as common as they were in the early 90s they seem to be non-existent now

808_67C10 04-17-2019 08:16 PM

Re: Truck Caps, Camper Shells, Toppers... call them what you will, lets see them

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatwagon83 (Post 8509096)
I always wanted a fiberglass one with no side windows for my crewcab dually, but as common as they were in the early 90s they seem to be non-existent now

Yeah, the solid SnugTops are hard to come by now. I'd kill to find one to build an old school mini-truck for a daily driver! I bet one would look great on a crew cab dually...

Oddly enough, I just saw a slammed mid-80s crew cab dually in satin black pulling a trailer with a pro-street 69 Camaro on it this weekend... it was a mean set up... wish I would have been able to get a pic of it.

bluex 05-07-2019 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'Merica

808_67C10 05-08-2019 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8521332)
'Merica

OMG What an awesome picture - The USS ALABAMA!

I am a retired Navy Chief... 24 years - lived on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor for 16 years... the view from my porch was the USS MISSOURI and the USS ARIZONA Memorial. I miss it so bad!!! I am on the Big Island now and miss living among that amazing history! Killer picture bro!:metal:

bluex 05-08-2019 08:42 AM

I figured you'd like it, it was kind of costly to get done but worth it I think.

I love the history of that time also. The ship was really cool, I can't imagine how crazy it must have been on that thing during a battle.

Thank you for your service!

bluex 05-08-2019 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend an I both had pictures done an got a few of the trucks together as well.

808_67C10 05-08-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8521765)
My friend an I both had pictures done an got a few of the trucks together as well.

I just love how your truck sits... its perfect. Also, that shell fits well... mine sticks up a bit but, when searching for old shells, gotta take what you can get. I went through and read all your thread on how you bagged your truck... pain in the ass but the pay off is worth it in the end.. Hoping to do mine soon.

bluex 05-09-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 8522190)
I just love how your truck sits... its perfect. Also, that shell fits well... mine sticks up a bit but, when searching for old shells, gotta take what you can get. I went through and read all your thread on how you bagged your truck... pain in the ass but the pay off is worth it in the end.. Hoping to do mine soon.

It was a huge pia but the end result was very much worth it. It rides an handles so much better now. If I can help you with anything just let me know!

bluex 05-12-2019 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Friend of mine found him a shell too. I also found out how to clean up the bubble windows so I'm going to try an get some good pictures of the design on mine an see if I can clean them up so I can actually see out of them.

808_67C10 05-12-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8524229)
Friend of mine found him a shell too. I also found out how to clean up the bubble windows so I'm going to try an get some good pictures of the design on mine an see if I can clean them up so I can actually see out of them.

Let the shell craze begin! I love it!:metal::metal::metal::5150: - added some Van Halen for good measure!

daddyjeep 05-13-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8524229)

Maybe you should trade with your buddy. Those amber bubble windows would look better on your truck. Although, I do like how your windows open.

bluex 05-13-2019 09:26 PM

Hmmm that's not a terrible idea...

79_3+3 05-13-2019 10:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just sold the cap off my '79. I had been thinking about making some wood bed rails for it for a couple of years and the cap had seen better days. Good timing to sell it and get started on a cool project. It's funny when a guy with a '13 Silverado wants your old cap :chevy:

82Diesel 05-14-2019 02:02 AM

Sure don't see many with Campers or Toppers anymore.

nekkidhillbilly 05-14-2019 05:31 PM

question can you get the bubble windows new?

bluex 05-14-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly (Post 8525588)
question can you get the bubble windows new?

Possibly, ive been told they are the same thing as a skylight in an RV an several places still make them.

bluex 05-14-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79_3+3 (Post 8525131)
Just sold the cap off my '79. I had been thinking about making some wood bed rails for it for a couple of years and the cap had seen better days. Good timing to sell it and get started on a cool project. It's funny when a guy with a '13 Silverado wants your old cap :chevy:

You might regret that, it'll be hard to find another one!

808_67C10 05-16-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8525669)
You might regret that, it'll be hard to find another one!

X 2 - they are getting tough to find a decent one. I guess it depends on where you live. I dunno. I love mine, every time I think about taking it off, I remember how useful it is and sets my truck apart from the cookie cutter trucks... it adds character. Beverly Hillbilly character but, character, none the less.:metal:

sweetk30 06-02-2019 02:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
cap #2 was purchased today for the pickup trailer #3 .

i wasn't looking for a cap but found this for 100 bucks on c-list . then my buddy wanted to use some plywood i had from odd jobs left over to make sides and roof and cover it with a tarp for his little utility trailer for when he pulls the old carpet out of his house . i said screw that go buy this and use my pickup trailer . so we went and pulled the trailer up to the guys place and got it for 50 bucks and we split that for 25 each and i didn't drive or use my truck or fuel and i get to keep the cap .

2 handle rear gate / 2 sliders 1 per side / solid front window / few dings and dents but solid / just need to run a bead of caulk down the roof seam thats a little drippy is all .

oh ya and the trailer is getting newer better rims monday as these old rusty crusty stock ( ford ) rims got to go .

c-10 back half frame / 4 leaf rear springs / 14ff rear axle cut pumpkin out and sleeved it for dumby axle / capped the spindles off & cut the axle off the caps / grease packed the bearings and rollin on 265/75/16 tires .

808_67C10 06-02-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8535626)
cap #2 was purchased today for the pickup trailer #3 .

i wasn't looking for a cap but found this for 100 bucks on c-list . then my buddy wanted to use some plywood i had from odd jobs left over to make sides and roof and cover it with a tarp for his little utility trailer for when he pulls the old carpet out of his house . i said screw that go buy this and use my pickup trailer . so we went and pulled the trailer up to the guys place and got it for 50 bucks and we split that for 25 each and i didn't drive or use my truck or fuel and i get to keep the cap .

2 handle rear gate / 2 sliders 1 per side / solid front window / few dings and dents but solid / just need to run a bead of caulk down the roof seam thats a little drippy is all .

oh ya and the trailer is getting newer better rims monday as these old rusty crusty stock ( ford ) rims got to go .

c-10 back half frame / 4 leaf rear springs / 14ff rear axle cut pumpkin out and sleeved it for dumby axle / capped the spindles off & cut the axle off the caps / grease packed the bearings and rollin on 265/75/16 tires .

Thats cool. I have always wanted to build a trailer with a shortbed and camper that matches my truck... same color, same wheels, and dropped. I think that would be so sick!

sweetk30 06-02-2019 06:47 PM

yep this is my 3rd one . still have them all also . #1 is now offroad only from heavy rust but she has a cap and holds my winter firewood for shop heat .

they tow so nice and smooth and dont bounce like a basket ball like other trailers of the same size . the key to do is the long tongue . #1 had a 10" shorter frame section left over before the tongue was installed . it was o.k. but #2 i left it longer by the 10" or so and it was a nicer pull and much better at backing up . so #3 got the same longer frame setup and tongue combo .

calvin78612 06-03-2019 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
77 k20

nekkidhillbilly 06-05-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8525668)
Possibly, ive been told they are the same thing as a skylight in an RV an several places still make them.

awesome I see them online so now I can make a vintage bubble window camper if I cant find one

THI 06-07-2019 04:49 PM

My Survivors - 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix and 1978 Chevy C20 Camper Special

https://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...l/IMG_0195.jpg

https://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...l/IMG_0128.jpg

That is the way I found both of them - not bad for Michigan

SKT 06-08-2019 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1909993

Attachment 1909994