The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

Low Elco 01-28-2013 02:21 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5844078)
I think I should rename this thread "Johnny's adventures with the crusty old Chevy's" Yup, working on the WRONG TRUCKS again today. First, I learned that them auto locking diffs don't really like stand-still third gear dumps on the ice doin dougnuts. WHACK! busted another one :( The Boy got kissed in the a$$ by some school girl (that's for you Elco) and tweaked his bumper. Went to the bone yard again

I'm sittin' over here, trying to be a good boy, and you gotta poke me with a stick! Fine.

Tell him anytime he gets kissed in the azz by a random schoolgirl-it's gonna cost him! Sometimes with time in the clinic!

Kissing Schoolgirls will generally tweak your bumper.

See, I can't help it! Glad Crusty's back to life, be nice to him so you can keep working on the correct truck! You deserve a big YOU SUCK for the Vent windows, those are nice! Get back to work! On the right truck this time!

jlsanborn 01-28-2013 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol: I knew you couldn't resist!

So the Boy's job turned out cool! Pulled the rear out of a 8 second 2nd gen camaro.....Merlin, Brodix, etc... Dude also has some other cool stuff. Blown Nova, '64 Vette, OG '69 Z28 and then some. He gave the boy a Camaro 5 speed for his S10 V8 conversion.

Back to the C10! Still can't seem to get my a$$ back on the body work. Instead I started on them vent windows. They are cleaning up real nice! I'm a little torn with the later style vs. my '67 windows but they are NICE! I might be able to use my '67 lock levers on the '70 windows. Not sure but I'm going to try. I've got a bunch of picutres and will get more as I get them back together. The Precision rubber parts fit AWESOME!

jlsanborn 01-29-2013 02:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So one window done last night. Lemme tell ya, this is not the most fun I've had on this project. The "rebuild kit" while adequate, really kind of sucks. At least four of them rivets should be just a tad longer and the "tool" they supply is pretty crappy. It's made of mild steel and it's kind of fat. I ended up using a couple center punches to stake the rivets down, then just kinda finished them off with the "tool". It was about a two hour ordeal for one window but I bet I can cut that in half on the next one. I took a pic of MOST of the tools I used. The bowl has soapy water in it. It looks really nice, but it sure is difficult to close. In fact, I haven't even gotten it to close yet as it kind of tweaks the frame and channel when I try. I'm hoping that once its supported by the door and window frame it'll close up tight. Again, really pleased with the quality of the Precision rubber parts!!

I've got a ton of pictures, so if anyone else is going to try this lemme know and I'll share all that I learned.

gdavis 01-29-2013 07:20 PM

it might be had to fix but they came out nice.

butternut1972 01-29-2013 09:20 PM

Yep..the vent windows take some time. After the first one I grabbed a beverage and turned the music up and it seemed to make it all better with the second one. You did a nice job, they look good.

Bomp 01-29-2013 09:49 PM

Came out Nice. Sweet.

Low Elco 01-29-2013 10:11 PM

Yer a better man than me, we went to the catalog! (Ouch!). They whistle like crazy, too. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 01-30-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5854259)
it might be had to fix but they came out nice.

Thanks for checkin in man!! I've been diggin but can't find that same remote electric choke I found in the bone yard. I did find a few in the GM marine world and then this http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp but this is all quadrajet specific. If your carb was OG manual choke then I think you'll have a rough go making it automatic electric. Lemme know what carby you're running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 5854585)
Yep..the vent windows take some time. After the first one I grabbed a beverage and turned the music up and it seemed to make it all better with the second one. You did a nice job, they look good.

I can only hope that my ride comes out as half as sweet as your stepper! Thanks for the props and following along. I was a few beverages down before I got the one done!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5854665)
Came out Nice. Sweet.

Thanks Count! I've been watchin and I noticed the tee shirt! Tryin to squirrel some moolah here for paint but I promise there'll be some color in this build soon. Your '66 is off the wall man and I got a feeling you've still got some tricks up the sleeve!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5854735)
Yer a better man than me, we went to the catalog! (Ouch!). They whistle like crazy, too. Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha, that's a stretch! I always think of that "killin snakes" bit while I'm sweeping the damn floor around here. I gotta get off my arse and get some $hit painted. My last post over at your place was assuming you had already done the alignment on Yeller. Snowin to beat hell here tonight.

I came out tonight with the intent of doing the second window but instead re-did a couple rivets on the last one then ran out of piss then got on this tube. The '67 latches are a no-go on the thru-glass style too. The shaft on the old ones is thicker (OMG) and they're clocked different in terms of the rotation stops. I even went back and looked at Cloud 9's and yup, he's got the cool ones - '67 chrome. It's tough but I'm going with the '70's I scored but I'll save the old. Maybe one day I'll find them in chrome or have a bunch of extra cash to get my OG's chromed.

butternut1972 01-30-2013 10:32 PM

I'm sure your truck will be every bit as nice. Keep up the good work!

67cheby 01-31-2013 11:17 AM

congrats on the vent window rebuild.....that is a PAIN !

jlsanborn 02-05-2013 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!
Not much to report on the project. Decided Friday that I'm spending too much free time working on the Crummy not to mention the GAS. It still needs a lot of work too. Spent the weekend looking at Silverado's. Work has me in LA this week but Wifey made the deal with the bank and the knuckleheads are prolly rodding on it right now.

Low Elco 02-05-2013 07:46 AM

Woo woo! New truck! Enjoy!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 02-05-2013 10:53 AM

New Truck http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/mu...smiley-005.gif

Low Elco 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

Oh wait. New truck? And you're in LA?

Yeah, you suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 02-10-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5868834)

Too new! How's the foot? Been six weeks yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5868857)
Oh wait. New truck? And you're in LA?

Yeah, you suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol: Well unfortunately I was there for work and these guys are numbskulls lemme tell ya! Painful.... Tons of sweet rides around there tho.

Spent Friday and Saturday on the new truck sorting out the few issues I knew about and discovering the ones I didn't. Had to put a receiver and speakers in there too. Gotta love snap together trucks for that! It's pretty cushy and WARM but it's exactly why I'm building a '67. Why is the effin heat system controlled by a computer and servo-actuators!? Ugh! Check engine light came on last night :lol:

I'm going to stoke the fire today and do that other vent window....

jlsanborn 02-11-2013 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Done deal. The second one took me longer than the first! What do you suppose a set of these would be worth? The Boy is thinking he'd go into the EBay biz if he could make a few bucks.

Bomp 02-11-2013 12:12 PM

Wing windows look great.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/gr...smiley-018.gif
I am going to have to do the ones for Daphne (green '72) and I'm not looking forward to it. Bompenstien probably need them too.

Toss some wings on eBay and see what happens.
(I had awesome results sellin art work yrs back)

foot: one week down 5 to go. slowly going stir crazy

Low Elco 02-11-2013 12:14 PM

You know, he could probably do well as a service if he tooled up and got some practice. Make some fixtures and some proper rivet dies, a blast cab, If he did good, I bet it'd be a good lil hustle for him. Congrats on clearing that hurdle!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 02-11-2013 12:51 PM

Some better tooling for sure. I was thinking some dies and a porta-power or even a c-clamp. If at least four of them rivets were 0.060" longer it'd be way better too. I actually cheated and threw a few tiny tack welds down. You could easily get them back apart if needed with a little cut-off wheel in the Dremel.

Low Elco 02-11-2013 01:06 PM

If you get serious, check the Bay, they make an industrial air powered rivet buck. Just the ticket. Looks like a big ass c clamp.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 02-26-2013 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So this build had almost made it to the bottom of my subscribed list! Funds dwindled, up to four Chevy trucks now, winter set in and life keeps throwing upper cuts. :waah: I haven't quit! I've been "tinkering" pretty steady and as the ground is starting to dry out I'm getting the bug again. I went and scored what I THINK will be my last gallon of primer then finished the filler work on them damn fenders today. My hood still needs a tiny bit of work then I've got a steering column to strip but that should be it for the heavy work. I intend on sealing and block sanding hard-core and have just about enough dough squirreled for base and clear. That should light a fire under my ass. The Boy is aligning himself for a V8 swap in the S10 and has the shop littered with small blocks and five speeds. He found a nice set of vent windows, polished them up and sold them for a few sheckles. I expect a lot more bone yard crap rolling through the shop now! Dirt bikes are coming again soon too....

A couple customary pics.... The same-o panel work going on and also a "momento" I built out of an old piece of bed wood and some emblems I had stashed.

Low Elco 02-26-2013 06:33 AM

Ha, I like the momento! I'm giving the Southern Polyurethane paint some consideration. Good Stuff considerably cheaper. Can be seen here-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...493324&page=10

He did all this in his garage with SPI stuff. Don't back off now, this is the part where it's just work. I'm with you, I hate the cold, and am loathe to get anything done. I have a sidie coming when this weather clears and it warms up a bit. Keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 02-26-2013 12:10 PM

Ahhhh, nothing like a little break to get other things taken care of to help motivate one to get going again.
I do see a major problem that you have. You sir need more hammers.:haha:

jlsanborn 02-28-2013 12:35 AM

Spent the last couple nights putting epoxy down on them fenders and door skins. Man you sure can tell how bad you suck at filler once that goes down :lol:. Not really, but sure not as perfect as you thought it was. Put another hour or so on the underside of that hood too. That is really a drag trying to get all the grime and goo out from all them corners. This body work is KILLING me. I think I'm gonna scrounge up a cross member and motor/trans mounts so I can mock that up and cut my cab for the floor shift. Still gotta find some 4" pipe so I can make exhaust portals in my center member too. I need to get that stuff done before paint.

Low Elco 02-28-2013 09:23 AM

AH, see, this is the fun part. Scrub the epoxy real good with 150. Hose it with 2 good coats of Slick/G2. Spot it heavier where your mudwork is. Dont be afraid, just don't run it. Let it dry overnight. If it feels good under your hand, guide it and block it with 150. Giggle as you just start erasing guidecoat. It's really kinda fun. If it feels lumpy under your hand, block it with 80. If you have lots of metal and black spots, tap the metal spots down lightly, and put a dolly under the back side of the black spots on the center of the spot and tap lightly around the edge of the black spots, till it feels good/ sands out. Prime it again. Repeat till your 150 comes out clean. single coat prime. Guide and Block with 320. You'll be surprised what you find. Don't freak, this actually goes pretty quick once you get your rhythm down. On doors, fender tops, hood and large areas, Don't forget to tape a good straight 2x4 flat to the top of your biggest D-block. Keeps it STRAIGHT and flat. Don't forget to buzz a round edge on one side of your d-blocks, otherwise they cut in like crazy. Get ta work!