The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 09-16-2013 11:58 AM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Yup, think I'm gonna go for it. I've seen a couple done up around here and it don't look too bad. I never did pull the cab off and it's gonna drive me nuts being all nasty under there so I may as well just go all the way. Driveline is actually another reason to do it. I had already lopped off the center carrier, planning to do a one-piece. That would've been on the long side, but doable. With the short bed the driveline will be a reasonable length. Time to get the shop cleaned up again and I'll start mapping it out.

jlsanborn 09-21-2013 08:39 PM

What's the best way to handle the cab off the frame? I've got the damn thing wet sanded, ready for paint and now I want to pull it off, roll it on it's back and finish the bottom. I've seen them setups using the cherry picker to get it off but i'm scared about effin up the pinch weld at the door openings. I need to be able to move it around too. How heavy you suppose it is? It's nothing but the cab, well plus pedals and inside wire harness.

Bomp 09-21-2013 10:42 PM

I use an A frame set up with straps and come-a-longs. Wrap the straps around the A pillars, lift, pull the bottom forward as much as possible and set it down gently. I also use some thick mats that I got long ago to use as cushions.
I prefer to flip the cab on its nose. I can do it all by myself even with the 5" stretch.

Good luck.

mcbassin 09-30-2013 10:41 PM

Heck yeah on the short wheel base conversion. Great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 10-19-2013 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Blew the dust off and did stuff today :metal:

Thanks to McB and others that I asked about handling the cab. I built a little dolly with casters and yapped that sucker. Did a little cipherin and chopped the beotch in half. Not such a big deal but I'll post up further detail after I get the thing glued back together. Oh, Boy built the motor real quick and took it for a spin too!

jlsanborn 10-19-2013 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more...

jlsanborn 10-19-2013 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woops! Wrong pic of the test drive. It was AFTER he built the 327 up real quick.

Bomp 10-19-2013 10:25 PM

Glad to see the progress. Completely tore apart.

Low Elco 10-20-2013 03:30 AM

Whoof! Git some! Oughta be fun from here! That Bomp is a bad influence!

67ctener 10-20-2013 10:49 AM

Awesome your making it a shortbox

jlsanborn 10-20-2013 07:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6323819)
Glad to see the progress. Completely tore apart.

Yup, Wifey came out and saw the truck in half, shook her head and muttered "scope creep" on her way out the door. I later tried to explain that although it LOOKS like I'm digging the hole deeper, it actually was PROGRESS towards completion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6324074)
Whoof! Git some! Oughta be fun from here! That Bomp is a bad influence!

Entirely therapeutic! It's been way too long since I've worked on that thing. And your right about that Bomp! I see him over there tearin crap up and making it how he likes, buying all these cool tools and hammers. Makes me want to go cut something and weld it back together!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6324313)
Awesome your making it a shortbox

Thanks man, it's gonna be way cooler! Any updates on your build? Effin love that big block!

Spent the good part of today putting it back together. The section job I did comes from a different thread on the fourm. Can't give credit today because that bookmark is on my work computer. I'll look it up and shout-out tomorrow. I carefully layed it all out with a scribe, well inside 1/32" (that's about the limitation of my old eyeballs). Before I cut I used a center punch to make some reference marks 30" apart, across my section. I used the blue-tipped axe, leaving my marks on the frame halves. I then took the old grinding rock and cleaned it up until my scribe lines just disappeared. It went back together almost perfect but I did have to grind a little here and there until those punch marks I made came to 18" and everything was straight and square. I chamfered all the seams so I'd get full penetration then used a bunch of clamps and scrap metal to get everything where it should be and threw down a few tacks. After some triple checkin I welded it home in a criss-cross kind of way. I made some fish-plates and got those in too but still need to overlap the vertical seams and re-attach my rear cab mounts. Still gotta lop 8" off the back too then it's on to the bed!

Low Elco 10-21-2013 08:32 AM

Good Lookin work, John! Please continue!

mcbassin 10-21-2013 09:43 AM

Awesome progress on the shortening job! Your pics make it look too easy. Looks like a good welding job too.

Bomp 10-21-2013 10:58 AM

Thats what I like.
Now lets talk about a possible 'Z'.

Low Elco 10-21-2013 11:33 AM

Aww, duuuuude...... He be a bad influence, and stuff... It's like watching an after school special! "Don't do it Johnny! It only takes one time and you're hooked!"

Gmforce 10-22-2013 07:20 AM

Nice job on the slice and dice man!!! Don't let the Bomp man get to deep in yer head tho...could have a problem with addiction....LOL ...

jlsanborn 10-23-2013 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6325640)
Awesome progress on the shortening job! Your pics make it look too easy. Looks like a good welding job too.

Thanks McB! Like a hawk on your RED paint job. The chassis part really is pretty easy. I think I'm even a little OCD! I'm humbled by the welding comment. I'd put it at a 7 of 10 having worked with some real fabricators. My little Hobart rig is making me look good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6325773)
Thats what I like.
Now lets talk about a possible 'Z'.

Tryin to trick me aren't you! Next thing you know I'll have the Silverado hanging from the trusses. I totally admire your creative thinking and the skills and motivation you have to make it real. I know there's details in your build that you've not shown us. I also know that there's a bunch of thinking you've got left to do and I'll be right here applauding you. Can't wait for the video of you rolling down the blvd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6325816)
Aww, duuuuude...... He be a bad influence, and stuff... It's like watching an after school special! "Don't do it Johnny! It only takes one time and you're hooked!"

Word! I'm already over my damn head. Original plan was V8, Muncie, scuff and shoot. Now I'm doin the bottom of the effin cab and the short box deal. Boy has me talked into roller motor too! I'm going to apply for my Hooker's License. They'll prolly legalize that here too and I'll be ahead of the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmforce (Post 6327126)
Nice job on the slice and dice man!!! Don't let the Bomp man get to deep in yer head tho...could have a problem with addiction....LOL ...

Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by on this "slow-cook" build of mine. That Bomp has quite the reputation around here for doing stuff outside the box don't he? I'm loving his vision / execution and he for sure raises the bar for us garage hackers. I'd vote TOTY based entirely on uniqueness and DIY.

I did more stuff but it was lame. It was after work so the work / beer ratio was not in favor of the build. I used the scraps from the frame section to make some more fish plates for the vertical seams. Got one welded up then the blew my shield - gotta get a new bottle tomorrow. Got the rest of the old rivets out of the frame and knocked the 8" off the tail. First measured 10" back and center punched for reference. Scribed a line around, 8" back. Torched it off, leaving my lines. Ground it down ( . )( . )

Bomp 10-23-2013 12:43 AM

Roller motor?!!! High five to the boy!!!
Nice work you gettin done there.

Thanks for sayin TOTY mention but honestly I ain't gotta clue. Wha ha ha

Low Elco 10-23-2013 08:09 AM

Looks seuu-perb! Are you gonna slice your sides, or get a shortbed?

jlsanborn 10-23-2013 10:39 AM

I'm gonna shorten what I've got. In fact, that's a big factor in my deciding to do this. There's some ugly bodywork that I'll be able to cut out with the 12" section.

jlsanborn 10-23-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6328716)
Roller motor?!!! High five to the boy!!!
Nice work you gettin done there.

Thanks for sayin TOTY mention but honestly I ain't gotta clue. Wha ha ha

You've got a clue alright - cut it apart and make it better. I'm just scratching the surface. 100% garage built by you and I brother! By the time I'm done I suspect the only things I'll have outsourced will be machine work on my block and heads, custom driveline and maybe a seat cover. We "customized" the Boy's drive line here in the shop and I did work for an upholsterer for a spell - have a sewing machine...

Edit... I did have some stuff sandblasted.

butternut1972 10-25-2013 09:15 PM

Sweet man....Going to look cool a short bed! I got to go back in the build and get caught up on all the stuff I've missed.

jlsanborn 10-26-2013 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 6333012)
Sweet man....Going to look cool a short bed! I got to go back in the build and get caught up on all the stuff I've missed.

Thanks dude! Oh, you've missed stuff, not much building been going on tho. How's the four-eye going these days? Props on the recognition at the shows! Love that truck of yours :metal:

Got more gas and finished up the chassis shrink. I could have just as easily drilled and bolted the body mounts back on but why? I ain't never taking them back off so I just welded them home. I plug welded the old holes and it's a wrap. Well, kinda.... I'm amazed at how flexy the frame really is. I pick it with the floor jack in the front-center and the thing is like a wet noodle! I think I'm going to box it in and throw some diagonals in front, center and rear. I still have to make portals in the center member for exhaust and I THINK I've got the motor where I want it and need to finish landing the perches. I'll then strip and re-paint the whole deal with better stuff. Oh, clutch linkage... Ugh!

Bomp 10-26-2013 11:46 AM

Boxing/diagonals by George I think he's got it. After school special in full effect.
Clutch linkage ain't no biggie. You'll get it,,,,,,easy cheesy

jlsanborn 10-27-2013 10:40 PM

I wanna run some mid length headers with exhaust that runs over my trans x-member then through my center x-member. I've been searching (reminds me of Cheech and Chong) for the right headers and have been coming up empty. I'm not totally opposed to creating my own headers like you did but I'd sure rather get some of them bad boy coated ones and be done with it. I've seen some pretty slick hydraulic retrofit kits that come from the Toyota Landcruiser crowd. Them are born with hydraulic clutches and when they put Chevy motors in them they go that route. It's basically a bracket that bolts to the bell housing, a slave cylinder, push rod and return spring. I think it's Wilwood that makes a slick little master for not a lot of dough. Just have to fab the pedal to master jazz and get the geometry just right (or build something adjustable).