The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   winter block hearter for vintage small block chevy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=839221)

GSP7 10-25-2022 10:42 PM

winter block hearter for vintage small block chevy

Just moved north to a cold winter area from AZ

what is a good block eater for my 1972 sm block chevy motor . Or are those oil pan heaters better?

any links?

GSP7 10-25-2022 11:05 PM

Re: winter block hearter for vintage small block chevy

I found this on at Jegs

https://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Compo...11497/10002/-1

Does it matter which freeze plug you install it in ? front of block ?

cadillac_al 10-26-2022 07:21 AM

I have been driving Chevy trucks all my life with no engine heater. I suppose it might be nice but they always start at -20 degrees. I have had a couple vehicles over the years that had engine heaters but I never bothered to plug them in. All you need is a good battery and some oil that isn't too thick.

special-K 10-26-2022 08:04 AM

I guess I'd go with a pan heater just because the freeze plug type could cause a problem, possibly. I would be concerned about rust between the pad and pan from trapped winter road corrosives. I'd remove, clean, and reattach each spring.

It's true you can do fine with no heater. I think the biggest benefit would be instant heat & defrost. I used to have diesels that needed plugged in to start and the instant heat was nice. but I don't even own a windshield scraper. I go out and start the truck, go back inside, and come back out once it's defrosted

b454rat 10-26-2022 02:49 PM

When I was stationed in Canada, my father had one installed in my car. Was a heavy duty unit, not sure what it was, but it went into the soft plug and IIRC a heater hose. I found out the hard way just how hot it was, I grabbed the heater hose when I first used it, an left a red mark on my hand lol. But the car would start without touching the gas. I would start the car, unplug the cord, and by time get back in the car, it was warm inside. It was awesome lol. Always wanted one ever since, never had one. But, IMO it doesn't get the cold to really need one. Diesels maybe, but never had a vehicle that didn't start cause it was cold.

907burb 10-27-2022 12:27 AM

How far north have you moved? I have a block heater and oil pan heater in my 68 suburban. They have been in there for over 20 years and I have had no problems with them. I don't plug in until it gets below 10 degrees (above). When it reaches negative numbers its absolutely worth it. It makes the truck start easier, idle smoother and is ready to drive sooner. I use 5w-30 in the winter months. If you have an automatic trans its worth placing a heater on the pan as well. If the area you moved to only gets below 32 occasionally, its not really needed as others have stated. I buy my cold weather supplies from NAPA.

HO455 11-03-2022 03:26 PM

I grew up in North Idaho back in the day and I never saw anyone using an oil pan heater, only block heaters. Not only do they heat the block they can warm the engine compartment up some and that keeps the battery warmer. It's also nice to have heat and defroster action immediately which you won't get with the oil pan heater.

special-K 11-04-2022 08:27 AM

I don't think pan heaters have been around all that long. The idea is to warm the oil. I like block heaters better myself.