The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

TA_C10 03-15-2019 12:18 AM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487376)
I haven't really thought about it. The cab is blasted and it's been sitting in my garage for over a year now and I haven't had any rust issues. I've never heard of dry coat. I'll have to check it out.

Wow I'm surprised being up north you don't have rust issues. What's your elevation there? Doubt you need the dry coat then. My cab has been blasted for about a month or so now no rust but I shot some dry coat on it to be sure.

And FYI, after all the research I did I found the following. Lizard skin isn't that tough so you really need another layer on top of it to be long lasting. On their website they mention coating it with other products to make it off-road durable... It was designed to be used inside the cab not outside but you can use it underneath truck no prob just might have to keep touching it up often.

My plan is to spray epoxy rust encspsulator as my base coat, then my lizard skin ceramic for temp control, then I'm spraying a rubberized undercoating on top of that for durability.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

:chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 03-15-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8487380)
Wow I'm surprised being up north you don't have rust issues. What's your elevation there? Doubt you need the dry coat then. My cab has been blasted for about a month or so now no rust but I shot some dry coat on it to be sure.

And FYI, after all the research I did I found the following. Lizard skin isn't that tough so you really need another layer on top of it to be long lasting. On their website they mention coating it with other products to make it off-road durable... It was designed to be used inside the cab not outside but you can use it underneath truck no prob just might have to keep touching it up often.

My plan is to spray epoxy rust encspsulator as my base coat, then my lizard skin ceramic for temp control, then I'm spraying a rubberized undercoating on top of that for durability.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

We are 482 M. My cab has actually been blasted longer than that. I bought it from a guy something like 4 years ago and he had it blasted who knows when. Then it sat outside under a tarp for about a year and a half before it made it to my place. There is some very light surface rust on a few spot but it comes right off like nothing. That is good to know about the lizard skin. I want to put it down for temp and guys are saying it works good for sound deadener. Your plan sounds pretty good, might have to go with that.

TA_C10 03-15-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487400)
We are 482 M. My cab has actually been blasted longer than that. I bought it from a guy something like 4 years ago and he had it blasted who knows when. Then it sat outside under a tarp for about a year and a half before it made it to my place. There is some very light surface rust on a few spot but it comes right off like nothing. That is good to know about the lizard skin. I want to put it down for temp and guys are saying it works good for sound deadener. Your plan sounds pretty good, might have to go with that.

Well that explains that. Mile high dude! :metal: Less moisture :D

Kronald_70GMC 03-16-2019 02:51 AM

Just when I thought I was done splicing my floor, I find two more splice cuts I need to make. The two rear floor pans where the seat belts bolt need 2 cuts made to allow the cab support to sit in the right location. So now that I finally have a nice solid clean floor, I'll have to take the angle grinder too it once again. :waah: I really hope the rest of my metal work on this truck goes a little smoother. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 03-16-2019 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I fought and I fought but I have, for the most part, got the support fitting. The center of the rear crossmember is sitting about 1/4" away from the floor pan yet. I'm going to have to get inventive and design a large clamp and bolt system to squish it all in. Overall though with the amount of hacking and modifying I've had to do to the floor pans, it fits not bad.

TA_C10 03-18-2019 09:00 AM

Your really working your A$$ off on this floor pan and its showing. It looks good and is taking shape ;)

Kronald_70GMC 03-18-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8489526)
Your really working your A$$ off on this floor pan and its showing. It looks good and is taking shape ;)

Well thanks man! I'm pretty well ready to get the support blasted now, then I have a few small repairs on it and I can weld it in! :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 03-18-2019 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my big bolt clamp made and it works like a charm to suck the cab support right into place. Almost ready for blasting the support. Just gotta get the location of the weight spreader plates marked out before I take it off for blasting.

Kronald_70GMC 03-19-2019 12:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I spent the evening shrinking the 3/8" dome out of my passenger floor pan so that it would fit proper to the cab support. Had to use a few sheet metal screws to suck in a few stuborn spots on the support near the seat belt bolt locations. I need a few more clamps along the very top lip to confirm that it will sit tight and then it can be taken off for blasting. While I wait for that I can weld up some more of my door seams and the inner roof seam. Getting that much closer to a horizontal cab! :metal:

chewychevy67 03-19-2019 07:58 AM

Make sure you fit the bucket seat pieces before you weld in the support braces. I think it would be easier now especially the longer brace for the console.

Kronald_70GMC 03-19-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8490201)
Make sure you fit the bucket seat pieces before you weld in the support braces. I think it would be easier now especially the longer brace for the console.

Good point. I'll have to dig them out.

Kronald_70GMC 03-20-2019 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my bucket seat crossmember cut out of the donor floor along with all the stand alone rear brackets. Also got the dish pressed into the driver floor pan where the cab mount bolt goes in.

Kronald_70GMC 03-22-2019 01:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've made some pretty solid progress over the past few evenings, even if it doesn't feel like it. :lol: I've got the bucket seat crossmember straightened out and fitting about 90%. Only need to drill out the inner front passenger seat mount. I've been doing research into seat track locations and Im glad I did as the bucket seats require the front outer mounting holes to be moved 1-1/4" outward. So I'm glad that I did not drill the rear mounting points to pre maturly. I've sourced a few square nuts from my old cab support to be welded in where the new mounting points are. Also I looks like Sunday will the day for blasting the support. It's all starting to come together.

chewychevy67 03-22-2019 01:29 PM

Looking good!

Kronald_70GMC 03-22-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8492354)
Looking good!

Thank you. All my work is finally starting to show.

Kronald_70GMC 03-24-2019 07:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I dropped off my support with the wife's uncle for sandblasting this morning. He is hoping to have it back to me early this week. I spent the better part of Friday evening drilling the 50 million spot weld holes for the support. ;) I also welded in one of my spreader plates and the other one is also ready to weld in. This afternoon I started welding up the inner roof seam and did some more welding in the passenger door opening. For some reason the opening is quite diffrent where the front top seam is so I have been building it up with weld. Lots more to go, on the bright side, the driver door opening is much nicer.

TA_C10 03-24-2019 10:02 PM

Dang dude, lots of welding your doing, you counting the rolls of wire your going through? Ready so see this finished up and smooth :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 03-24-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8493967)
Dang dude, lots of welding your doing, you counting the rolls of wire your going through? Ready so see this finished up and smooth :metal:

I'm surprisingly still on my first roll of wire. I too am excited for it to be smooth. My dad did his door jambs and it looks so nice. I see you got your brake lines done. Looks good, you be stopping in no time. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 03-26-2019 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been plugging away at welding the door jambs and the inner roof seam. I'm getting really close to finishing up the passenger side. Don't mind the weld along the roof seam that looks like I gave up and hired someone else to do it, I suddenly figured out how to make my welds flatter by mistake. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 03-29-2019 12:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cab support is back from the blaster! I welded up all the pin holes in the passenger corner tonight. Might have to do a bit more once I grind it down. I finished up smoothing the top of the door opening as well, all ready for filler. My main focus now is getting the support welded in so I can ditch the temopary support inside the cab.

Kronald_70GMC 03-31-2019 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well that didn't work out so well. My pinholes became more pinholes which became more pinholes and next thing I knew I had to chop that corner off and replace it. So low and behold I did not get as far as I had hoped this weekend. :waah: Oh well, I'm hoping to have the cab support all repaired and ready to weld on by next weekend.

TA_C10 04-01-2019 12:19 AM

Burning through or what? Sorry to hear the step backwards...

Kronald_70GMC 04-01-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8498530)
Burning through or what? Sorry to hear the step backwards...

Yeah just this one corner. The metal was pretty thinned out but I thought I could still weld up the pin holes. A few worked out fine but most ended up burning through and went from a small 1/8" pinhole to almost an inch before I hit anything solid enough to handle the heat. At that point, I figured I'd better cut my losses and replace the end. I really didn't want to because the patch piece is not the same gauge as the original but realistically, the new piece is probably thicker that the thinned out metal that was there. I did not cut off any more original metal than I had to though.

72 tigger 04-01-2019 06:21 AM

It’s amazing how small rust holes can grow - nice progress

Kronald_70GMC 04-01-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8498563)
It’s amazing how small rust holes can grow - nice progress

Thanks

Kronald_70GMC 04-02-2019 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last night I got all the holes in the support welded up. I also sprayed all the channels and areas I wont be able to get to later with rust converter. Hoping to have the support in place for welding after work. :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 04-06-2019 01:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well gents, she is in! Well.... For the most part, few more plug welds to make but I am extremely happy that I can finally see a rust free floor after all this time and work. :metal:

TA_C10 04-06-2019 09:53 AM

SWEET! :metal:

Nice job, all that hard work is paying off. Looks good man now get that sucka painted!!

Getter-Done 04-07-2019 08:48 PM

Time well spent.
That looks Great.

Kronald_70GMC 04-07-2019 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! It's really great getting such positive feedback after all those hours. Today I got the rest of the support welded in except for the very rear portion. It is not tight to the floor pan at the moment so I'll have to get creative with it yet. I also got the bucket seat crossmember welded in.

chewychevy67 04-07-2019 09:47 PM

That is looking sweet

cornerstone 04-07-2019 10:21 PM

Looks clean enough to eat off of!:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 04-07-2019 10:44 PM

Again thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm so close to putting this thing back on level ground and it feels great!

TA_C10 06-23-2019 11:50 PM

How's the project coming along man?

Kronald_70GMC 06-24-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8547518)
How's the project coming along man?

I haven't been able to touch it since I last posted. We have been having a crazy busy summer, we did a whole bunch of landscaping and we found mold in our basement. Luckily only the perimeter walls were built by the po of the house so I have been tearing out the basement and trying to get grass to grow during one of the dryest springs / early summers we have ever had. It kills me to see the cab sitting exactly how I left it in the garage. I'm hoping that I can get back to it sometime in July.

TA_C10 06-24-2019 12:59 AM

Sorry to hear about the basement mold, that's no fun... We've been doing a lot of yard work and landscaping as well, at least you see the fruit of your labor with that :thumbs:

Kronald_70GMC 06-24-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8547539)
Sorry to hear about the basement mold, that's no fun... We've been doing a lot of yard work and landscaping as well, at least you see the fruit of your labor with that :thumbs:

Yes very much so. We just hauled in 8 yds of dirt to our front yard and put in underground sprinklers. Hardest I've worked in years but man does it look good!

Kronald_70GMC 09-08-2019 01:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Woohoo! Today was finally the day. The day that I walked into the garage after coming home from a local car show and said, enough of this cab just sitting here like this, it's time to weld! :metal: I finished up smoothing out the drivers door opening, ground down my inner roof seam and stripped the paint off the ceiling of the cab. Woohoo! Progress and it feels so good.

cornerstone 09-08-2019 06:48 PM

Boy it feels good to make progress. The fact is, there’s so much more work than what we think there is when we start! Some things are just a chore, but every task you get done is one less to do.

TA_C10 09-08-2019 07:11 PM

So true cornerstone. That's a lot of work you just finished. Dirty hard work. Keep it up!