The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   progression ignition (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827221)

HO455 12-29-2021 12:09 PM

Re: progression ignition

Link to another forum with links to other forums about this product. Overall no negative reviews.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...waste-of-money

Rich72C10 12-29-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9012374)
If you have time please do a write up on installation and tuning. I have been looking at one of these since the thread started. Thanks, Rg

The install is really straight forward, insure your engine is at 10 degrees BTDC and have the distributor pointed to cylinder 1. Start the engine and check the timing that you are on 10 BTDC and adjust as needed. I got so lucky I didn't need to adjust and locked down the distributor.

I haven't had any issues and love the darn thing. When out shopping for Christmas I used the lockout.

Not on one of our trucks but applies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeihiAE1zJg

raggedjim 12-30-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9012409)
The install is really straight forward, insure your engine is at 10 degrees BTDC and have the distributor pointed to cylinder 1. Start the engine and check the timing that you are on 10 BTDC and adjust as needed. I got so lucky I didn't need to adjust and locked down the distributor.

I haven't had any issues and love the darn thing. When out shopping for Christmas I used the lockout.

Not on one of our trucks but applies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeihiAE1zJg

Thanks Richard, I appreciate it. Nice video, and the tuning looks straightforward.

Rg

truckster 12-30-2021 08:13 PM

I'm really thinking about getting one of these. I really like the idea of being able to disable the truck via Bluetooth. But then I get a case of the "what-ifs"... what if my phone dies... what if the Bluetooth link fails... what if my wife needs to drive the truck when I'm not around (not that she ever would)...

I'm probably going to end up buying one in the spring.

jocko 12-31-2021 10:07 AM

looks like an interesting product. but I guarantee I'd forget my PIN and get stranded at Whataburger.

CG 12-31-2021 10:13 AM

Does your phone actually have to connect every time you drive your vehicle? I wouldnt think so, if so though its a deal breaker for me.

BTW there are worse places to be stranded than What a Burger haha!

Rich72C10 12-31-2021 10:20 AM

No, you don't have to be connected at all, only to change / monitor.

As for loosing the code, well don't do that after locking the distributor! Kind of like, it hurts when I poke myself in the eye ... don't do that either LOL

Though phone dying, breaking, getting lost - that would be a bit of bad luck!

Grumpy old man 12-31-2021 12:00 PM

What do these things cost ?

They want you to return it for servicing "if" it goes bad ? That's not something I want to hear on a road trip

I tried to look it up and their website doesn't work , That's not very reassuring. Being an old school guy I think I'll stick with the basic HEI system that's been used for the last 48 years , This just seems like an expensive techie type thing , Loose your phone and your done ? :lol:

LockDoc 12-31-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9013163)
What do these things cost ?

They want you to return it for servicing "if" it goes bad ? That's not something I want to hear on a road trip

I tried to look it up and their website doesn't work , That's not very reassuring. Being an old school guy I think I'll stick with the basic HEI system that's been used for the last 48 years , This just seems like an expensive techie type thing , Loose your phone and your done ? :lol:

Web site works fine for me with the link in the first post. On the home page scroll down and click on the Chevy box. It shows all of the Chevy styles available and the prices.

What do you do with any newer car if it quits running on the road? Either call a buddy if you are close enough, have him come and get you, take the trailer back and haul it home or call a tow truck. Not a big deal....

LockDoc

HO455 12-31-2021 03:06 PM

I'm with Doc on this. When (not if) the pickup coil in that 48 year old HEI fails your done. Time to pull the distributor and completely disassemble it to replace the coil. Hopefully you have a spare HEI stashed behind the seat.
Or more a likely scenario is losing that key fob for that late model car while on that road trip. Be prepared for a tow to the dealership.

I'm seriously considering one of these for my 72 Firebird. Once you price out a rebuilt distributor or a quality new one, an aftermarket ignition system with a Rev limiter and retard contols, a distributor gear for a bilet roller cam, the cost of having a professional distributor curve done at least once, the cost is the same or better without the ease of adjustability.

And if your worried about losing your phone get an old cheap phone, load the program on it and hide it in the truck. It doesn't need to have service, just Bluetooth to undo the ignition lock.

Just my opinions. With them and five bucks you can buy a cup coffee most places. :lol:

Grumpy old man 12-31-2021 04:43 PM

Yeah , Well , it's probably just too high tech for me . I'll just go back to points . ;) :lol:

Husker 04-20-2022 11:02 PM

Just ordered one for my CJ 304. Hopefully it works great
Ron

fdbdw 04-22-2022 01:01 AM

I’ve had mine for about a week now. I love it, install was easy

truckster 04-22-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdbdw (Post 9070173)
I’ve had mine for about a week now. I love it, install was easy

Have you done anything with the tables? I'm not sure I would know how to adjust them.

fdbdw 04-22-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9070295)
Have you done anything with the tables? I'm not sure I would know how to adjust them.

Ya, I’ve played with them a lot. I’m not a tech person and was very hesitant at first. But once you start playing with it, it’s very user friendly. Jump in and start with little adjustments at first, you’ll get the hang of it.

truckster 04-22-2022 09:58 PM

Thanks. I think that might be next on my list.