The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   72 C-10 Engine wiring harness (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=592859)

stupidfish1 08-15-2013 07:45 PM

72 C-10 Engine wiring harness

Hi. I'm converting my 72' C-10 with an L6 to HEI. Done quite a bit of research online and decide to draw my constant 12 volts from the "keyed" port where my original resistance wire was located. Removed the wiring harness, cleaned and removed unnecessary wiring and traced the original resistance wire back to the harness block.

It is piggybacked to a 8-10ga. wire running to my choke solenoid? This piggy back was obviously done either professionally or factory. I've never seen this on any schematic? Seems like a lot of current to put another 12-14 gauge wire on here to supply the new distributor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to keep this install relatively "clean" that's why I decided on this port rather than going to one of the non fused ignition tabs on the fuse block.

Thanks in advance, Steve H.

VetteVet 08-15-2013 11:16 PM

Re: 72 C-10 Engine wiring harness

Quote:

Originally Posted by stupidfish1 (Post 6222894)
Hi. I'm converting my 72' C-10 with an L6 to HEI. Done quite a bit of research online and decide to draw my constant 12 volts from the "keyed" port where my original resistance wire was located. Removed the wiring harness, cleaned and removed unnecessary wiring and traced the original resistance wire back to the harness block.

It is piggybacked to a 8-10ga. wire running to my choke solenoid? This piggy back was obviously done either professionally or factory. I've never seen this on any schematic? Seems like a lot of current to put another 12-14 gauge wire on here to supply the new distributor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to keep this install relatively "clean" that's why I decided on this port rather than going to one of the non fused ignition tabs on the fuse block.

Thanks in advance, Steve H.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

I never recommend tapping anything off the distributor wire, especially an HEI. I know a lot of guys do it for the choke coil. A 16 gauge wire is plenty big for the choke coil and 8 to 10 is ridiculous.

Any key on hot wire such as the wiper yellow wire or the heater fan switch wire., or the brown accessory wire would be good with a 10 amp fuse inline.

stupidfish1 08-16-2013 12:13 AM

Re: 72 C-10 Engine wiring harness

Hey VetteVet, Thanks for your response and may I say thanks for your service. I've read many of your posts. I understand what your saying about tapping but, would you recommend running the distributor off of this "port" which is supplied by a constant & crankinig 12 ga. 12v. supply and run the choke coil off of another "keyed" 12v. power supply. I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff.
This is my son's first vehicle and, I've spent some time over the years turning wrenches but ELECTRICITY boggles me.
I'm not kidding when I describe the diameter of this choke coil wire. It's over 1/8th of an inch wide including insulation-almost 3/16ths.
If I'm misunderstanding something I apologize.

Thanks again, Steve H.