The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Original glass or new glass? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828185)

chewychevy67 11-27-2021 03:37 PM

Original glass or new glass?

1 Attachment(s)
I have my new glass for my 67 here and my original all cleaned up as well except the windshield. My old glass seems to be a hair thicker and machined on the edges a bit nicer but it has a few scratches in it as the new doesn't....yet. m y build is pretty thorough and everything has been replaced but is the thinner glass going to cause problems? Anyone with ay insight on this. Part of me thinks I should just reuse the original stuff. It's the green tinted stuff.

Accelo 11-27-2021 04:01 PM

Re: Original glass or new glass?

I would go new.
It is just the last thing we think of and also the one of the details that separates the high quality restoration from the average one. The Truck just looks better and you can't always tell why.
Now you have me wondering! (I measured the windows with calipers and the new glass was .022 thinner. No issues with the thinner glass.
The green tint was an option and typically used on Air trucks.

With new glass installed I have to be careful when reaching through the door window jam with my hand. With new glass it is almost impossible to tell if it's up or down.
You many be able to get glass with reproduction bug stickers. I know you can get it for Corvettes. So I am assuming someone does it for the trucks also.
Not likely something you will deal with as you already have glass. Most glass shops have wet sanders, for glass, and can clean up the edges if that bothers you.

I used autocityclassic.com. One of the few vendors I was 100% happy with. Glass arrived unbroken and well packaged. They sell clear, gray and green tint.

sick472 11-28-2021 08:52 AM

I think it really boils down to a budget thing. All new glass can add up quick. Accelo is right, however, all new glass does make a build "next level". I am on my third restoration and find myself landing in the middle. New front and rear glass is usually a must because its what the driver (me) sees 99% of the time. Some scratches in the side glass is annoying, but so is running the budget over. I very rarely show my cars and when I do, I roll the windows down.

BigBird05 11-28-2021 10:06 AM

I think I would take one piece of glass and have it polished. If it turns out good I would run it. You can't beat OEM.

Oldironracing 11-28-2021 11:31 AM

I bought all new glass from Southern Kentucky classic truck parts. Fitment was great glass look great.

chewychevy67 11-28-2021 12:02 PM

I have the new glass here so cost isn't the problem. The thickness of it is what I'm concerned about. But if others ar good with there's I'll se the new ones. The windshield is quite a bit thinner than the original but I can't keep that original piece. It's toasted.

k29349 11-28-2021 06:40 PM

If the glass is thinner, won't it leak?

BAD1916 11-28-2021 06:54 PM

I have not seen the reproduction truck glass yet. On the repo Mustang,Camaro and corvette glass that I’ve seen they all seemed to have a waviness to them that the originals did not. Not sure if that’s an issue with these or not.

Already Gone 11-28-2021 09:03 PM

Hey, dont know if this place uses original stuff or reproduces it but I'm sure they could tell you the thickness. If they wont ship to Canada there is always Plentywood.

https://www.vendio.com/stores/bobscl...r/lid=33729133

Graham57a 11-28-2021 11:30 PM

Just my 2 cents but if the SPID calls for soft ray tinted glass I prefer having the GM glass with the stamp that you showed in the photo. If it’s clear I would buy new all day