The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Blazer and Suburban Stuff (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   WA WTB Suburban upper hatch (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826235)

nitrosport_5 09-25-2021 11:52 PM

WTB Suburban upper hatch

Im looking for an uppper rear hatch for a 72 Suburban that has as little rust as i can find. ive got a pretty nice set of barn doors and the upper suburban trim that id be willing to sell/trade if i find a usable hatch.

Im willing to pay for shipping if you are a long distance from me

Dave 09-27-2021 06:47 AM

Re: WTB Suburban upper hatch

I'll just throw this out there for consideration. The upper hatch is the single hardest item to locate with minimal rust next to the 1/4 panels. With that said, there are a couple people that have scored a nearly rust free hatch from lower western states and elsewhere within the last 2-3 yrs.
However, I've also seen absolute junk rear hatches being fixed by very talented fab guys, that I think couldn't be done. The entire bottom sections had to be reconstructed, along with portions of the upper section, all hand fabricated.
I don't know what resources you have available near you or what your budget would allow for but I'd estimate about 80-100.00/hr and (some areas even higher) for rust repair involving fabrication.

nitrosport_5 09-27-2021 01:30 PM

I figured it would be about like hens teeth to find one, but It's worth a shot!

My hatch is pretty much completely rusted out at the bottom. The last drive I went on down a washboard gravel road finished it off. I'm afraid it's rusted out at the top too and I'd be left with nothing to work with. I have barn doors for that swap, but if I can stick with the clamshell I'd really prefer it. I'm going to keep looking, but if someone knows a good fabricator that would want to take on my hatch in the Spokane, wa area I'd be interested.

WannaBe68 10-03-2021 03:05 PM

I looked for 2 years trying to find a rust free lift gate. Saying a rust free lift gate is made of unobtanium is an understatement!
I did end up finding 2 lift gates that had some rust on opposite sides from each other and had a guy marry the 2 good sections from each into one nice and clean one...
Just an idea for you to file away -

nitrosport_5 10-03-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 8979615)
I looked for 2 years trying to find a rust free lift gate. Saying a rust free lift gate is made of unobtanium is an understatement!
I did end up finding 2 lift gates that had some rust on opposite sides from each other and had a guy marry the 2 good sections from each into one nice and clean one...
Just an idea for you to file away -

Thanks for the reply, if be up for somthing like that too. I'd pretty much take any gates I can get my hands on at this point. I'd cut 3 or 4 up to.make a good one

52napco 11-18-2021 08:14 AM

I see you're in WA I know a gentleman in Cedar MTN
NC that can fix them and he is the man.
Charlescalvindesign.com