The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   '69 Longbed Daily Driver - Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=212747)

IvelDesigns 10-09-2006 12:43 AM

'69 Longbed Daily Driver - Project

Ok, so I haven't had a wrench in my hand in quite some time. Moved out of state, had a wife, who then had kids. Moved around a bit, etc, etc... and now i'm back in my home state. Ever since moving back, I've wanted to find a project car/truck to play with. Partly because I want to relearn what I knew 10 years ago, but also because I want something that I can do with my kids outside of video games. In the process I hope to learn a lot myself.

In Iowa, it's easy to find sweet rides out behind a barn. But 90% of them are rotted out and not worth the troubles unless you are a premo body guy.

Anyways, by pure luck (I was actually going to look at a different truck) I found what I was looking for. This was one of those situations where you see the truck sitting next to a house, no for sale sign, but you knock on the door and ask if the owner if they want to part with it. Long story short, I'm now the prowd owner of a 69 Longbed.

10 years ago it had a frame off rebuild. At that time it was a 3/4 ton, but they converted it to a 1/2. New body mounts, undercoating, replaced all rust and painted everything.

It's pretty solid. I have found only 3 places where there is any rust. P-side inner wheel well, P-side cab corner, and a decent sized spot in the D-side bed wheel well, at the bottom. Other than that rust, i have not found a single ding or dent in any of the sheet metal. There is one in the grill though. It runs great (30k on a rebuilt 283), brakes are awesome (disk/drum), tires, etc. The one bad thing is that to lower it, they cut the coils. So now everytime the truck leans to one side or the other, the front coils pop pretty loudly.

I will use this thread to post updates on the truck. It will probably start a bit slow, but once the holidays pass, it should pick up to a good pace. Goodguys is here in Des Moines on the 4th of July weekend, so I'd like to have something half way decent to enter by then.

Here are the pics i snapped when I got it to my parents house where it will be for the winter (they have plenty of buildings to work in [like the 40x60 that it is parked in], i have have a 1 stall garage :whine: )

http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa...ct_06/side.jpg
http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa...6/d_corner.jpg
http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa.../d_corner2.jpg
http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa...6/p_corner.jpg
http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa...t_06/front.jpg

Oh, I did pull the points dist out this weekend and dropped in a HEI dist from an 87? truck that my brother was junking. Now it runs like a top!

RSRXION 10-09-2006 12:46 AM

Re: '69 Longbed Daily Driver - Project

Looks like a good place to start !

Ron 586 10-09-2006 01:02 AM

Looks good to me. Good luck with your project.

Yukon Jack 10-09-2006 09:32 AM

Great looking truck - nice not to be starting the project without lots of rust.

Palf70Step 10-09-2006 09:43 AM

You have a really nice start there.

67ChevyRedneck 10-09-2006 10:02 AM

Great truck to start with! If the body work was done 10 years ago and only 3 spots have surfaced since then.... they did a good job on it! Don't feel too bad about the garage thing. I've spent the past 9 months driving to Lexington sc (about a 2 hour drive) to go to my Uncle's house to work on my 67. Kinda hard to work on your truck in the parking lot of an apartment complex :banghead:

IvelDesigns 10-09-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 1823352)
Great truck to start with! If the body work was done 10 years ago and only 3 spots have surfaced since then.... they did a good job on it! Don't feel too bad about the garage thing. I've spent the past 9 months driving to Lexington sc (about a 2 hour drive) to go to my Uncle's house to work on my 67. Kinda hard to work on your truck in the parking lot of an apartment complex :banghead:

I feel you pain. My parents live about 2 hours from here, so this will be a weekend project for now. But, the one thing nice about having it 2 hours away is, when you make plans to do something, you generally plan it out better knowing that you have to get what you started done before the weekend is over.

That and the fact that my dad already has all of the tools needed (including a welder and a big air compressor) makes it much easier to leave it up there. Saves me from having to buy those things all at once :)

matthufham 10-09-2006 10:25 AM

it looks really good to start, do u have a pic of the rear? like the tailgate and rear bumper? also what happened to the grille?

67ChevyRedneck 10-09-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthufham (Post 1823364)
it looks really good to start, do u have a pic of the rear? like the tailgate and rear bumper? also what happened to the grille?

Looks to me like a trailer hitch? Maybe they weren't paying attention one day and lightly tapped the truck in front of them?

IvelDesigns 10-09-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

I don't have pics of the back, but i'll get some next time i'm up there.

The guy i bought it from said that he was backed into by an SUV with a hitch. I haven't decided what kind of grill is going to replace it. I may stay stock, or i might go with a billet grille :bling:

wild4wheels 10-10-2006 12:07 AM

What part of Iowa? My folks and 1 bro are up in George, Ia. My wifes are in Storm Lake. We used to live in Sioux City and Cedar Rapids..moved all over the country, up by Phili now but would love to try and get back someday. Clean find for Iowa. I feel your pain! Cedar Rapids has a huge swap meet both spring and fall. Usually you can score some cool stuff there. Good Luck!

Wild

IvelDesigns 10-10-2006 12:38 AM

I'm in des moines, my parents, and the truck are just outside of cedar falls.

jimmydean 10-10-2006 03:19 AM

Man, that looks great!

Brad 10-10-2006 03:26 AM

What a great truck to start with!

IvelDesigns 10-10-2006 11:25 PM

look what i got done in an evening!!!

http://www.iveldesigns.com/__Downloa...6/low_side.jpg

in photoshop :hm:

Palf70Step 10-11-2006 05:23 AM

Nice. No tank and lowered the rear.

aaronfab 10-11-2006 08:36 AM

Cedar Rapids swapmeet this weekend, Oct. 14-15. I'll have a booth there, pretty good size meet. Look for an English wheel, I may be doing some metal fabrication demonstration. That truck is a "needle in a haystack" find for Iowa. :c2:
Aaron

IvelDesigns 12-26-2006 11:50 PM

rear bags, notch and panhard bar are all on their way. Bed is comin' off this weekend.

i can't wait.

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

screamin_eagle 12-27-2006 12:06 AM

Sweet Truck! are you going to keep the smoothies ?

IvelDesigns 12-27-2006 01:24 AM

actually yeah, if i can find a wider rim, i'd really like to keep them. I'm going for the rat rod look, so the plan is to get some wider white walls too.

68GMC454 12-27-2006 08:03 PM

man that was a good find...nice truck

Green Machine 12-27-2006 10:33 PM

Looks pretty darn solid and straight. Nice find !!! There are a lot of trucks in Iowa yet, finding the good ones is the hard part, looks like you scored !!!

MisterMan 12-28-2006 03:50 AM

Quote:

dude. its insane. i was ooking at your build pics... we have very similer ideas... p.s.... that kragen special fuel filter.... sucks ass... too restrictive.... replace it with a fram... omg. no more top end fade.

texanidiot25 01-11-2007 02:33 AM

Im going to have to follow this, I just got my hands on a 69 CST/10 Longbed. :metal:

For never being restored, I got lucky on the amount of rust it does have. Just the rockers, and under the windshiels is all Ive found so far. Cant wait til its towed home.

68GMC454 01-11-2007 06:43 AM

texanidiot25..thats a nice looking truck..and you stole it..lol..welcome from utah