The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Hack Dash for aftermarket Radio??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=225815)

myersjeremy 02-03-2007 03:34 PM

Hack Dash for aftermarket Radio???

I just picked up a Pioneer CD player that I would love to install in my dash. The only problem is that my dash hasn't been cut yet. I am wondering how hard is it to cut to make the new radio fit or if I should just settle for the cassette player that is in the truck.........

Jeremy

82c10 02-03-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Hack Dash for aftermarket Radio???

Quote:

Originally Posted by myersjeremy (Post 2015018)
I just picked up a Pioneer CD player that I would love to install in my dash. The only problem is that my dash hasn't been cut yet. I am wondering how hard is it to cut to make the new radio fit or if I should just settle for the cassette player that is in the truck.........

Jeremy

go ahead and cut it, people will tell you not to, but don't make a huge hole, use a dremel, and it shouldn't take that long

Restrorob 02-03-2007 08:42 PM

Hack it now regret it later......

wedgemon 02-03-2007 09:13 PM

There's more to hacking then ya think. You'll need to Dremel the bezel and cut, grind, drill or hack the metal dash behind it to accomodate the DIN mounting box.

I've seen nice jobs and total thrashes. Mines in the middle somewhere. You can always hides the new unit and remote it and keep the stock look.

Your choice though. But, To quote RestroRob "Hack it now regret it later......"

- Dave

1974gmc 02-03-2007 09:45 PM

i wish i didnt cut mine

Srubydo1986 02-03-2007 11:07 PM

What my freind did was locate another intrument insert, so he didnt have to cut up the original. Then for the metal dash he cut the top and the bottom and not the side so it could be folded behind, so if he ever wanted to change it back all he had to do was fold it back (weld it of course) and put the original instrument insert back in.

just a thought so u dont have to regret it so much

1974gmc 02-03-2007 11:35 PM

ya my brother in his 69 chevelle.... didnt want to hack it up for a stereo so he mounted it in the glovebox, works good there and hidden too

bigblock73 02-04-2007 10:38 AM

IMO, CD's are outdated.

Have your original radio refurbished with brand new guts/internals, have them add a MP3 hookup, and run an MP3 player off your radio. I will be doing this with my 73, don't want to lug around CD's, a CD case, and don't want to change out a CD everytime I want to listen to something different.

Just my .02 :)

stepside454 02-04-2007 11:17 AM

I agree, Cds are on there way out. set up or buy a 2 knob srereo,I know LMC carries them new that works with IPODS & MP3s. I wouldnt cut it myself.

Srubydo1986 02-04-2007 11:36 AM

good idea whit the mp3s ill do that with my chevelle. my trucks allready cut when i got it. (awsome no more cds)

Billla 02-04-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restrorob (Post 2015388)
Hack it now regret it later......

2 minutes to cut, 2 hours to fix...and it's never quite the same.

Plus, it's not like our trucks are really secure. Nothing says "Come get me" like having a nice stereo in the dash.

84 400 02-04-2007 06:42 PM

ha this topic comes up alot on here. The Po of my truck hacked it to install a cd which he removed on selling it to me. so i slapped in a really nice tape deck i had laying around. works great for me and i can plugg my i pod right into one of those tapes with the chord. I hate cd's because they skip. If it were me i would think twice before hacking it but it is not as bad as hacking a 67 to 72 dash bcause it can eb fixed easly.

75shortysocal 02-04-2007 06:45 PM

id go to the junkyard and find one thats allready hacked, save ur good one.

bigblock73 02-04-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75shortysocal (Post 2017069)
id go to the junkyard and find one thats allready hacked, save ur good one.

Are you referring to the dash (which is what we are talking about) or dash bezel? The actual dash doesn't junt unbolt...it is welded and bolted in.

Hoods69BadBowTie 02-04-2007 09:58 PM

I would not cut it, just my opinion. My blazer was already set up for a cd player and so was my yellow '79 so. Neither have one in them right now but they are set up. I would say stash a cd player somewhere hidden or go MP3 Player.

method2mymadnes 02-05-2007 12:39 AM

don't cut,
go here http://www.customautosound.com/
and get their secretaudio

cliffsta 02-05-2007 01:03 AM

Hack it. Unless your truck is a cherry and you wish it to remain 100% original, there's no reason to not hack it. its just as much a PITA to put it elsewhere or go with some less functional alternative. Cutting the bezel and the dash isn't THAT hard, we did it in the middle of the night on my truck and it came out great. Unless you're looking to spend beaucoup $$ and time to hide it or go with an MP3 alternative, just cut the dash. Glovebox isn't viable if you have A/C or if you wish to say, use the thing while driving. Under the seat, ditto, unless the remote is THAT good (and my Pio remotes sure aren't). Regutting your tapedeck might be a good option but that costs $$ and you have to buy an MP3 player (assuming you don't have one).

BTW: MP3 CDs do exist folks, as do WMA. I have about 3 WMA discs and they each have, oh, 92847384 hours of music at HIGH bitrate (192). I carry no more than 4 discs at a time.

Just my .02

Zoomad75 02-05-2007 02:02 AM

Some PO hacked my dash. Very poor job. Having a blazer I have the luxury of the stock console that works very well at concealing the stereo.

So to fix my PO's hack job I got creative. I got a decent used instrument panel bezel (the plastic part) off of EBAY. A factory radio delete plate from my Dad (aka the organized pack rat), A GM sized Pioneer cd player (out of the pack rats garage) and $5.00 worth of angle iron and 1/4 bolts.

The Refurbished dash:
http://www.chevytruckworld.com/galle...5K5/142686.jpg

The hidden Stereo:

http://www.chevytruckworld.com/galle...5K5/142687.jpg

Mine even has a remote that fits on the steering wheel, but wont work with the radio being further back. Plus it kind of kills the steath I was going for.

86swb 02-05-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblock73 (Post 2016150)
IMO, CD's are outdated.

Have your original radio refurbished with brand new guts/internals, have them add a MP3 hookup, and run an MP3 player off your radio. I will be doing this with my 73, don't want to lug around CD's, a CD case, and don't want to change out a CD everytime I want to listen to something different.

Just my .02 :)

Who does all that?? Do they have a web site?

Captkaos 02-05-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86swb (Post 2018090)
Who does all that?? Do they have a web site?

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/ or http://taymanelectrical.com

If you are interested in Custom Autosound, I can get those also....

cameeks 02-05-2007 07:57 PM

I bought this radio from Wal-mart http://walmart.com(put 001025711 in the search)

It uses sd cards, usb flash sticks, and takes mp3 disks.

I hacked my '69 chevy because I'm not going for 100% original

stepside454 02-05-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameeks (Post 2018642)
I bought this radio from Wal-mart http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/prod...ductID=4744710

It uses sd cards, usb flash sticks, and takes mp3 disks.

I hacked my '69 chevy because I'm not going for 100% original

The linky took me to wallyworlds homepage, but not to the stereo.
Im not going for 100% original either...but I dont see any point in ME cutting up my dash... just my thoughts is all.

cliffsta 02-05-2007 10:00 PM

Why? You already dropped it and put on a cowl hood and painted it different, its not original, why inconvenience yourself by putting it anywhere else other than right in the dash? Its not that big of a deal there are 2394873204724 of these trucks, it won't depreciate (sp?) the value that much if any.

stepside454 02-05-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffsta (Post 2018861)
Why? You already dropped it and put on a cowl hood and painted it different, its not original, why inconvenience yourself by putting it anywhere else other than right in the dash? Its not that big of a deal there are 2394873204724 of these trucks, it won't depreciate (sp?) the value that much if any.

oh, Ill keep the stereo in the dash, I wont put it anywhere else. Ill use a 2 knob that is MP3 & Ipod compatible. I know its lowered, & has a cowl hood, & custom paint etc. This truck is a factory 454 ,factory air Sierra Grande, there arent that many of these around. But anyway I dont like the look of a CD stereo in an older or classic vehicle dash.
I have alot of friends who have cut there dashes on there Novas, Chevelles,Coronets,other trucks to name a few who now regret doing it. Heck, I have all my CD music that I want on IPOD anyway.

84 400 02-05-2007 10:47 PM

Clifsta is right on!! The dash on a 67 to 72 is diffrent or on a real classic car/truck. but with the bezil and all why not hack it?? hidding the radio is a pain and not worth it on one of these trucks. true i would not have hacked mine but the po did so that is how it stays. it is your truck do what you want