The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 03-13-2019 02:30 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8486257)
What kind of floor piece is that for the rear corner? It has what seems to be some drain provisions built into them?? Never seen that. Will you have a support that goes over the top of that piece I assume?

And this brings me to a question, I'd like my can sealed up but these cab corners and rockers where they meet don't seem to seal up nor do they seem to be designed to seal up... This doesn't make sense to me. I want to either leave them the way they are and build an extra piece inside cab corners that extends from floor to cab corner that is flat across and I can seal off or seal up the rims underneath somehow where the floors meet the corners and rockers...

What are your plans for this?

I'm not 100% sure exactly what you mean about provisions for a drain? Also not sure what you mean on the rest. Would you be able to show me some pictures?

TA_C10 03-13-2019 02:47 PM

Sure can! So here is your pic, arrows are pointing towards what looks like drain provisions? Water escapes through here? Mine don't have this...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/f8...k=w713-h330-no

And here is what I am talking about where the cab corners meet the floor pan and they just don't match up hardly at all causing gaps to the open road...

This pic is my cab corner from the back side. I cut it in half when I installed it so it allows a really good view of how these line up and go together.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dm...I=w722-h677-no

This pic I obviously have a gap I need to fill underneath where the cab corner meets the outer rocker, but even if you leave this a "normal" gap like from factory, there isn't anything sealing that up(no flange to spot weld or put seam sealer in... and so wind and road noise can enter the cab not to mention water.... I think I am going to weld that gap completely just because of that...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RM...A=w708-h731-no

Kronald_70GMC 03-13-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8486323)
Sure can! So here is your pic, arrows are pointing towards what looks like drain provisions? Water escapes through here? Mine don't have this...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/f8...k=w713-h330-no

And here is what I am talking about where the cab corners meet the floor pan and they just don't match up hardly at all causing gaps to the open road...

This pic is my cab corner from the back side. I cut it in half when I installed it so it allows a really good view of how these line up and go together.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dm...I=w722-h677-no

This pic I obviously have a gap I need to fill underneath where the cab corner meets the outer rocker, but even if you leave this a "normal" gap like from factory, there isn't anything sealing that up(no flange to spot weld or put seam sealer in... and so wind and road noise can enter the cab not to mention water.... I think I am going to weld that gap completely just because of that...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RM...A=w708-h731-no

Oh OK I get what your talking about, that is actually for the factory jack to mount in. Some pans have it and some don't, I'm not sure why. And as far as your other pictures, I have not got to that just yet so I'm not sure what my plans are. I know that having a small weep hole is ideal in the cab corners but those look a little extreme. Is it possible to seam seal them at all?

TA_C10 03-14-2019 12:39 AM

I said to heck with it and welded it all up... I just couldn't stand it. I want the cab sealed tight for air, noise, and water. I will have more on this soon on my thread but I could see that basically these crap replacement panels just aren't made like the factory did them and the sides are supposed to but together with a lip on all sides(cab corner to floor pan edge, and also cab corner to outer rocker panel. Well my pieces lacked that edging in most places and the cab corner to floor panels were just terribly off so I fixed em up real good :D

:chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 03-14-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8486720)
I said to heck with it and welded it all up... I just couldn't stand it. I want the cab sealed tight for air, noise, and water. I will have more on this soon on my thread but I could see that basically these crap replacement panels just aren't made like the factory did them and the sides are supposed to but together with a lip on all sides(cab corner to floor pan edge, and also cab corner to outer rocker panel. Well my pieces lacked that edging in most places and the cab corner to floor panels were just terribly off so I fixed em up real good :D

Haha nice. Gotta do what you gotta do. I checked out your post and the pictures won't appear. They just have a Grey circle with a negative sign in the middle.

Kronald_70GMC 03-14-2019 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have finally made enough progress this week to justify a picture. I've pretty well stripped the whole belly of the cab to bare metal. The next step will be test fitting my cab support. It's starting to look like something.

Scurry67 03-14-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487269)
I think I have finally made enough progress this week to justify a picture. I've pretty well stripped the whole belly of the cab to bare metal. The next step will be test fitting my cab support. It's starting to look like something.

Nice work! What's your plan for coating the bottom? Primer and Undercoating?

TA_C10 03-14-2019 11:48 PM

That looks good, clean slate. I forgot you have to rebuild the rails and supports.

Are you using anything on that bare metal to keep it from rusting? I'm using "dry coat" and it's working just fine, and all you do is spray it on and walk away. Super easy. Saw it on The Fab Forums YouTube channel and on truck tech powernation.

Kronald_70GMC 03-15-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 8487357)
Nice work! What's your plan for coating the bottom? Primer and Undercoating?

I haven't figured that out yet. I will spray weld through before I attach the support and then I was thinking of spraying it all with rust converter. After that I've been hearing good things about lizard skin so I might go that route.

Kronald_70GMC 03-15-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8487365)
That looks good, clean slate. I forgot you have to rebuild the rails and supports.

Are you using anything on that bare metal to keep it from rusting? I'm using "dry coat" and it's working just fine, and all you do is spray it on and walk away. Super easy. Saw it on The Fab Forums YouTube channel and on truck tech powernation.

I haven't really thought about it. The cab is blasted and it's been sitting in my garage for over a year now and I haven't had any rust issues. I've never heard of dry coat. I'll have to check it out.

TA_C10 03-15-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487376)
I haven't really thought about it. The cab is blasted and it's been sitting in my garage for over a year now and I haven't had any rust issues. I've never heard of dry coat. I'll have to check it out.

Wow I'm surprised being up north you don't have rust issues. What's your elevation there? Doubt you need the dry coat then. My cab has been blasted for about a month or so now no rust but I shot some dry coat on it to be sure.

And FYI, after all the research I did I found the following. Lizard skin isn't that tough so you really need another layer on top of it to be long lasting. On their website they mention coating it with other products to make it off-road durable... It was designed to be used inside the cab not outside but you can use it underneath truck no prob just might have to keep touching it up often.

My plan is to spray epoxy rust encspsulator as my base coat, then my lizard skin ceramic for temp control, then I'm spraying a rubberized undercoating on top of that for durability.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Kronald_70GMC 03-15-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8487380)
Wow I'm surprised being up north you don't have rust issues. What's your elevation there? Doubt you need the dry coat then. My cab has been blasted for about a month or so now no rust but I shot some dry coat on it to be sure.

And FYI, after all the research I did I found the following. Lizard skin isn't that tough so you really need another layer on top of it to be long lasting. On their website they mention coating it with other products to make it off-road durable... It was designed to be used inside the cab not outside but you can use it underneath truck no prob just might have to keep touching it up often.

My plan is to spray epoxy rust encspsulator as my base coat, then my lizard skin ceramic for temp control, then I'm spraying a rubberized undercoating on top of that for durability.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

We are 482 M. My cab has actually been blasted longer than that. I bought it from a guy something like 4 years ago and he had it blasted who knows when. Then it sat outside under a tarp for about a year and a half before it made it to my place. There is some very light surface rust on a few spot but it comes right off like nothing. That is good to know about the lizard skin. I want to put it down for temp and guys are saying it works good for sound deadener. Your plan sounds pretty good, might have to go with that.

TA_C10 03-15-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8487400)
We are 482 M. My cab has actually been blasted longer than that. I bought it from a guy something like 4 years ago and he had it blasted who knows when. Then it sat outside under a tarp for about a year and a half before it made it to my place. There is some very light surface rust on a few spot but it comes right off like nothing. That is good to know about the lizard skin. I want to put it down for temp and guys are saying it works good for sound deadener. Your plan sounds pretty good, might have to go with that.

Well that explains that. Mile high dude! :metal: Less moisture :D

Kronald_70GMC 03-16-2019 02:51 AM

Just when I thought I was done splicing my floor, I find two more splice cuts I need to make. The two rear floor pans where the seat belts bolt need 2 cuts made to allow the cab support to sit in the right location. So now that I finally have a nice solid clean floor, I'll have to take the angle grinder too it once again. :waah: I really hope the rest of my metal work on this truck goes a little smoother. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 03-16-2019 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I fought and I fought but I have, for the most part, got the support fitting. The center of the rear crossmember is sitting about 1/4" away from the floor pan yet. I'm going to have to get inventive and design a large clamp and bolt system to squish it all in. Overall though with the amount of hacking and modifying I've had to do to the floor pans, it fits not bad.

TA_C10 03-18-2019 09:00 AM

Your really working your A$$ off on this floor pan and its showing. It looks good and is taking shape ;)

Kronald_70GMC 03-18-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8489526)
Your really working your A$$ off on this floor pan and its showing. It looks good and is taking shape ;)

Well thanks man! I'm pretty well ready to get the support blasted now, then I have a few small repairs on it and I can weld it in! :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 03-18-2019 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my big bolt clamp made and it works like a charm to suck the cab support right into place. Almost ready for blasting the support. Just gotta get the location of the weight spreader plates marked out before I take it off for blasting.

Kronald_70GMC 03-19-2019 12:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I spent the evening shrinking the 3/8" dome out of my passenger floor pan so that it would fit proper to the cab support. Had to use a few sheet metal screws to suck in a few stuborn spots on the support near the seat belt bolt locations. I need a few more clamps along the very top lip to confirm that it will sit tight and then it can be taken off for blasting. While I wait for that I can weld up some more of my door seams and the inner roof seam. Getting that much closer to a horizontal cab! :metal:

chewychevy67 03-19-2019 07:58 AM

Make sure you fit the bucket seat pieces before you weld in the support braces. I think it would be easier now especially the longer brace for the console.

Kronald_70GMC 03-19-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8490201)
Make sure you fit the bucket seat pieces before you weld in the support braces. I think it would be easier now especially the longer brace for the console.

Good point. I'll have to dig them out.

Kronald_70GMC 03-20-2019 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my bucket seat crossmember cut out of the donor floor along with all the stand alone rear brackets. Also got the dish pressed into the driver floor pan where the cab mount bolt goes in.

Kronald_70GMC 03-22-2019 01:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've made some pretty solid progress over the past few evenings, even if it doesn't feel like it. :lol: I've got the bucket seat crossmember straightened out and fitting about 90%. Only need to drill out the inner front passenger seat mount. I've been doing research into seat track locations and Im glad I did as the bucket seats require the front outer mounting holes to be moved 1-1/4" outward. So I'm glad that I did not drill the rear mounting points to pre maturly. I've sourced a few square nuts from my old cab support to be welded in where the new mounting points are. Also I looks like Sunday will the day for blasting the support. It's all starting to come together.

chewychevy67 03-22-2019 01:29 PM

Looking good!

Kronald_70GMC 03-22-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8492354)
Looking good!

Thank you. All my work is finally starting to show.