The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Automotive myths (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=590365)

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 09:36 AM

Automotive myths

I know we have all heard them.So lets discuss them and see if they are true.I will start with this one.A few years ago I was working on my 69 impala in my grandpas shop.I had my battery laying on the ground.Puffing away on his cigar my grandpa kept saying "You better pick up that damn battery before all the juice gets sucked out of it"Is this true?I have been told this several times.Whats in concrete to suck the juice out of a battery?:mm:

cdowns 07-28-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Automotive myths

ground/// loads of people dont understand that concept

slow-1 07-28-2013 10:20 AM

My battery out of my truck just sat on the concrete floor for 4 months...put it on the charger before putting it back in just to make sure I had plenty of juice to start the rebuilt engine.

Charger said it already had a full charge.

Maybe the concrete has to be a certain thickness to drain your battery?

pritch 07-28-2013 12:13 PM

I think they have made changes to battery cases over the years. Used to be you didn't want to set them on concrete, but today's batteries don't seem to be affected by it as much. Seems odd that our corporate overlords would make something better...:lol:

1972RedNeck 07-28-2013 08:35 PM

Anymore myths out there?

cableguy0 07-28-2013 08:46 PM

The concrete doesn't drain the battery. The dirt that collects on top of the battery allows the poles to connect and that's what drains the battery. The only issue with concrete and a battery would be if the battery leaked it will ruin the concrete.

Tx Firefighter 07-28-2013 09:41 PM

Ive heard the old yarn about concrete and batteries since I was a little kid. Fortunately my dad taught me to reason through things and make my own opinions.

If the concrete would make a circuit through the battery case and drain the charge, imagine the light show it would put on when you mounted it in a metal battery tray which really conducts electricity.

Steel > concrete at conducting electricity.
Posted via Mobile Device

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 09:41 PM

How about not changing transmission fluid?Alot of people say they don't change it and have no problems.I own a 96 Mercedes.They have a problem of the reverse going out.There is a guy on the Mercedes forum who claims to have 330,000 on a trans that has never seen a fluid change and his still runs great.I know a man with 97 Toyota he bought it brand new never changed the trans fluid he has 250,000 no transmission problems.I also hear this on this forum.

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 09:54 PM

Oh yeah I should also add I have owned my tuck for over ten years only did one fluid change.It was just a fluid change didnt drop the pan and change the filter.Mine still shifts great.Knock on wood.

AntiGov 07-28-2013 09:55 PM

hows about the ol black pepper in the radiator trick to stop a leak ??

AntiGov 07-28-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6194296)
Ive heard the old yarn about concrete and batteries since I was a little kid. Fortunately my dad taught me to reason through things and make my own opinions.

If the concrete would make a circuit through the battery case and drain the charge, imagine the light show it would put on when you mounted it in a metal battery tray which really conducts electricity.

Posted via Mobile Device

yeah the batteries are sealed in a plastic case and dont seem to know or care where they sit...

truckdude239 07-28-2013 10:03 PM

That you cant swap back and forth from synchtic to regular oil... cause u can if you let it drain long enough i have people at work that do it all the time though i dont recomend it
Posted via Mobile Device

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiGov (Post 6194329)
hows about the ol black pepper in the radiator trick to stop a leak ??

Black pepper!I thought your suppose to crack an egg in it.

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 6194341)
That you cant swap back and forth from synchtic to regular oil... cause u can if you let it drain long enough i have people at work that do it all the time though i dont recomend it
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that synthetic and reg oil are the same.The only difference synthetic has something added to it.Im no oil expert though.

ERASER5 07-28-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6194296)

Posted via Mobile Device

Or put it in your aluminum john boat and go fishing in a salt water cove. Ever see a battery burn right through the bottom of a john boat? Me neither.

cableguy0 07-28-2013 11:34 PM

There was a problem with switching from synthetic back to regular oil 20+ years ago. At this point most oils are at least partially synthetic and considered a blend. There is NO issue switching back and forth with modern oils. In my opinion there isn't any reason to not run synthetic oil.

63 & 64 Bowties 07-29-2013 09:18 AM

11 Diesel myths busted:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur..._myths_busted/

67ChevyRedneck 07-29-2013 09:41 AM

The greatest automotive myth of all, and there's a lot of poor bastards out there that still believe it to this day...

Ford trucks > Chevy Trucks.

oldblue1968chevy 07-29-2013 12:39 PM

Whatta bout puttin a penny on batt terminal to get rid of corrosion :lol:

meatwagon83 07-29-2013 12:57 PM

i think the battery thing comes from the days of the old tar batteries, the plastic batteries wont do it.

Tom 07-29-2013 07:58 PM

Some good myths here.
-The synthetic vs reg oil is an old one, and seriously false. Swap, mix, do whatever the hell you want with your oil.
-Trans fluid- the saying isen't to not change it, its don't flush it. You'll un-seat built up particles of dirt and crap and your trans goes boom. Seems to hold true too.
-I really like all the people that think higher octane =more power and cleaner combustion inside the engine. More gas mileage too! Even though the engine was only designed to use 87.

motornut 07-30-2013 10:21 AM

I thought the higher octane gas is better.....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...emium-gas.html
what do you think now?

leddzepp 07-30-2013 03:18 PM

"You couldn't build it for that" or "It is cheaper to buy one than build one"

Unless you farm out every single piece of labor and pay retail price for every single part, this is not true at all.

jjzepplin 07-30-2013 03:49 PM

How about- "If it's on the internet, It must be true!" Bonjour.

richards72chevy 08-21-2013 09:53 PM

How about people not wanting to use a newer vehicle to jump start a battery?They claim it will mess up their computer or electrical system.