The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tree fell on my truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=370067)

HOGDADDY 11-02-2009 09:14 PM

Tree fell on my truck

I haven't been around much lately but few months back a tree fell on my cab and it is beyond repair. I finally located a decent cab to swap out.

Anyone here ever swapped cabs? Looks like it may be somewhat involved but I gotta do it. Rest of truck is in good shape.

tvblazer78 11-03-2009 09:39 AM

Re: Tree fell on my truck

Moved you over here so someone can help you..

HOGDADDY 11-03-2009 11:26 AM

Cool thanks!

old Rusty C10 11-03-2009 11:55 AM

the easiest way to do it is with those nylon straps if you have to do it alone..Ive done it with four buddies and the best advice there is wait til you get done moving cabs before you break out the cases of beer..
I had no bed on the truck at the time but ithink its prolly just as easy to do it without the front clip on.
just remember to use the bushings and mounts for your frame and not the donor cab if youre switching genres of year...
are there any specific questions that you have?

Damien 11-03-2009 12:06 PM

Its pretty simple. Remove the front clip, unhook wiring, heater/ac, steering shaft. Unbolt the master cylinder from the booster and disconnect the e brake cable. Take the air cleaner and dist. cap off or remove the distributor.

If you have a lift, you can leave the doors on. If you are lifting it on with the help of friends, remove them. It will save a couple pounds. Some guys say take the seat out, but I don't think it really weighs that much. Remember most of the weight is on the firewall.

1985-GMC 11-03-2009 05:40 PM

What about the vin number and switching titles and all that good stuff. If it were me I would find some original looking rivets like the ones on the vin tag, drill the old rivets out and put your vin on the new cab.

Keith Seymore 11-03-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 3600889)
What about the vin number and switching titles and all that good stuff. If it were me I would find some original looking rivets like the ones on the vin tag, drill the old rivets out and put your vin on the new cab.

Switching VIN plates is actually a Federal offense, unless done with the proper authorities watching. Even then they would not allow a production VIN but would apply some type of state issued VIN.

Not recommended -

At a minimum it's quite controversial. Here's another thread if you'd like to read up on it a bit:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...hlight=rosette

K

Keith Seymore 11-03-2009 08:10 PM

Do you have to swap cabs?

Could you just switch roofs? Might be an opportune time to do a "top chop", too....

My dad had a freeway overpass fall on the top of his truck, and they just put a new top on it.

K

Reinovator 11-03-2009 09:13 PM

swapping cabs can be either a pain or just time consuming. as stated before check with your local DMV and see what they would prefer you do most of them are pretty easy to get along with if your up front and honest about what your doing.

the biggest problem I ran into was not have enough help and not using my head the first time. since then I've learned.

take out what you can put back in easily seats doors glass etc. find a nice 'A' frame or cherry picker adapter. and carefully, slowly lift the old cab off checking for still attached parts, wires cables, move it to the side and reveres your steps try to do it in one weekend, if your like me I for get where things go if you have to take picks of key areas for reference. then transfer back what you can or want from the original cab and go from there.
its really not all that hard just time consuming, take brakes be sure where things go. almost every thing unbolts or on plugs,as said before you can do it.

and don't crack the beer open until your done.
'if you drink'
It's worth the time if you like your truck.
Research your options, maybe even up grade your cab.

I'm doing something similar, and I know I going to run into problems but swapping a 77 PU cab and putting a 87 suburban(panel) body on is a little different. but most of mine is imagination.

Good luck and enjoy it. if you decide to do it.

1985-GMC 11-03-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 3601143)
Switching VIN plates is actually a Federal offense, unless done with the proper authorities watching. Even then they would not allow a production VIN but would apply some type of state issued VIN.

Well the way i see it, 90% of the things that the federal government does should be a federal offense, so if I switch out my vin# which i own I dont really care if I do it legally or not, just dont tell anyone that you did it. Again I don't recommend doing this, It is just what I would do. At one time my C30 had this done and they put a little sicker in the door jamb that said reissued vin number, it was the number to the original cab.

Reinovator 11-03-2009 09:34 PM

I've done this to I don't recommend it either. but some times you get the inspector who say's. Ah just go ahead your wasting my time! especially if you have proof of sale to the new cab, and do a good job switching vin's custom dash mats and dash boards help to
just keep all you records, receipts etc. just in case.

As I said before always check 'Anonymously if you can'. Like hay a friend of mine wants to switch cabs what does he need to do? he wants power every thing.

it's weird how they justify the state tagging some times isn't it?

Have fun

HOGDADDY 11-05-2009 11:52 PM

I had the cab delivered today and it came from a low mileage truck. Floors and all are rust free. I pulled the old carpet and the underlayment even look good. Downside,Windshield has a crack and the rear slider is missing latch.

The a/c box looks practically new. The ac/heater control looks new and it has a decent looking stock radio. Headliner also shot.

Dash has usual problems and seat need re-upholstered but the bottom of seat looks like new. I think I am gonna recover it and use it. Also the cab is blue and interior pieces and I wanna just go with a blue truck instead of white.

I would rather not discuss the vin issues here.

I am gonna go back and grab a left fender and possibly a hood also as mine have few dings from tree. Last but not least I need find a good passenger door.

1985-GMC 11-06-2009 12:12 AM

Sounds like a plan, Good luck.

Hoods69BadBowTie 11-06-2009 12:29 AM

Ya sounds good! An good luck with the swap. Just take your time and remember where everything goes.

68 TT 11-06-2009 09:38 AM

Check out the cab and bed lift plans rokcrln has in his sig. Pretty cool and will allow you to do the work with no help if needed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223158

HOGDADDY 11-09-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 3605508)
Check out the cab and bed lift plans rokcrln has in his sig. Pretty cool and will allow you to do the work with no help if needed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223158

That sounds like a good idea. I was planning on enlisting 3 friends to help pick it up I figre if its bare the 4 of us ought to be able lift the cab or do you think I am wrong thinking 4 people could lift it easily?

I am almost ready to lift it off got a lot done today. I removed the wiring harness (what a pain) and hopefully gonna re-use it on new cab.
Trmoves both fenders, bumper,wipers motor and linkage,ac box,heater box, grill,bezels.

The core support is coming out next so I can finally install the Lunati vodoo hydraulic roller cam set-up I bought while back and actually put the Eddy rpm heads on it too (that I prematurely listed in signature).

HOGDADDY 11-09-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 3601147)
Do you have to swap cabs?

Could you just switch roofs? Might be an opportune time to do a "top chop", too....

My dad had a freeway overpass fall on the top of his truck, and they just put a new top on it.

K

The cab is really screwed up all way around. the passenger door frame is caved in and need new door also. The back is even warped and backglass is bent but not broken somehow.

A freeway overpass? Holy cowl!

Keith Seymore 11-10-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOGDADDY (Post 3611282)

A freeway overpass? Holy cowl!

Yep. He was not having a good day. Made it about 6 hours into his traveling vacation and a chunk of overpass decided that was the appropriate time to fall (right on his top).

He turned around and went home at that point.

K

Damien 11-10-2009 12:05 PM

If you are doing heads and cam, you might want to tear the engine down to the short block and cover it. Then switch the cab. Its that much higher you don't need to lift them.

68 TT 11-10-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOGDADDY (Post 3611276)
That sounds like a good idea. I was planning on enlisting 3 friends to help pick it up I figre if its bare the 4 of us ought to be able lift the cab or do you think I am wrong thinking 4 people could lift it easily?

Four of us picked up my 70 Chevelle body tub and set it onto the new frame so four guys should have no problem with a truck cab.

68 TT 11-10-2009 12:28 PM

I was able to pull the cab off my 67 C-10 with my engine hoist and a pair of cargo straps wrapped around the roof going through the door jambs. Just put a mountain of weight on the back of the engine hoist to keep it from tipping over.

Lift it up off the frame then roll the chassis out from under it and set it down.

All the work you will be doing you probably want to build a cab dolly so you can roll it around easily.

HOGDADDY 11-11-2009 03:57 PM

OK I have everything ready to come off and I am gonna take the bed off and come in from the back with the cab then put bed back on.

I am thinking of replacing cab rubber bushings with some oem bushings from Chevrolet if not too expensive old ones don't look too great.

Has anyone replaced any lately with stock or aftermarket urethane/rubber?

Soon as I do that gonna find few hands help me hopefully.

68 TT 11-11-2009 04:18 PM

I want to replace the bushings on mine too so i just did a little research.

They run about $56 for the poly bushings shipped if you are not in a hurry to get them.

I don't think you can get the stock ones from GM for any less money, if you can even get them still.

HOGDADDY 11-11-2009 06:04 PM

The original cab bushings and radiator core support bushings are still available from G.M. I just got off the phone with an old buddy who works there. He said that I can pick em up tomorrow.

68 TT 11-11-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOGDADDY (Post 3614811)
The original cab bushings and radiator core support bushings are still available from G.M. I just got off the phone with an old buddy who works there. He said that I can pick em up tomorrow.

Out of curiosity how much do they sell for?

Post the part numbers and relative costs when you get them. I assume you are getting a good price through your friend but at least we will know about what they run for comparison.